Season Three Music Replacement

Brian,
I know that you have been getting all of this wonderful stuff from fans all over the world - advance copies of all Quantum Leap information, like the DVD Set, etc.

I know that I'm in awe of all the things that you have done and accomplished in the short time that I've known you.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for... everything that you have done in the past and everything that you will do in the future.

I know that I thoroughly appreciate it.

THANK YOU!

God bless, Brian.

MJ

Thanks M.J.! I love working on this site. I haven't been able to do as much as I used to lately, but it's so much fun and all you guys are so supportive and fun.

I loved teming up with you to have The Virtual Seasons here at Al's Place. It's the BEST QL continuation series and couldn't have become what is has without you, M.J.

So thank YOU!

Oh dear.

Well....

I got the set. Tried out "Private Dancer" to start with, which is all I have time for today.

I watched it, trying to listen to the music as I watched. The episode if very clear and enjoyable... one of my favorites. "Oh What a Night" is there, and of course it had to be because Al sings part of the lyrics in a scene. "Daybreak" is there which is great because it is intrigal to the scene.

However...

I then compared the DVD to my old VHS copy and yes indeed ladies and gentlemen, music has been changed. It is not horrible in that episode... I didn't really notice until watching the original version, so at least they put in similar music.

Disappointed Universal did not learn their lesson from Season Two, though. I'll be trying to watch an episode in every free hour I have just to see what else happens. "The Leap Home" is next on my list.

There is a box on the outside of the set that says "Music may differ from televised version."

So... sorry to disappoint, but now you know. I'll keep you informed of any further episode music changes as I see them.

> Re: Season Three Music Replacement

:\ [sigh]

I can't say I'm surprised. I was expecting it (I think we all were), but I tried to refrain from being pessimistic about it. There's really no way that this company is going to go back and undo the damage they did with Season 2. Money is the priority with this company because some arrogant executives in suits lean back in their chairs and give the green light to remove music to save the company money. (Maybe it's a little na?ve for me to think that, but it's the picture I always had in my mind.)

I have a gut feeling that they didn't even try to make an effort this time to acquire most of the original music. I think their only effort was to carefully watch the episodes to determine the songs that were sung by the characters. "Music may differ from televised version." Heh. "Customers may refrain from buying this product" is more like it. Even if you find out that no other songs have been removed from the rest of the set, Brian, the changes are already unacceptable. DAMN YOU, UNIVERSAL.
:protest

I have a gut feeling that they didn't even try to make an effort this time to acquire most of the original music.
I can't say I'm surprised either. Why should they make an effort when they know that they kept us waiting so long in the first place, that ppl are prepared to buy it anyway just to have something?? The only way they'll listen is if we ALL (or a large number of us, at least) refuse to buy it, and make sure we tell Universal exactly why we're refusing to buy it.

I like how they say "some music may differ from original". Why don't they just say "some music has changed because were too lazy and like to piss on the little guy". That would be more accurate.

So, today's the big day. Did anyone here go and actually buy the set? (Despite the bad news and all the complaints, there are those of us who follow the "Butchered Quantum Leap is better than no Quantum Leap" theory.)

I have mine on order and was sent out today...hopefully I'll get it by the 14th.

Mine is on order and was sent out today also, did no one actually get it on the 10th? Anyone got it now? What happened with the music?

I got it yesterday.....It's awesome. I like the new look packaging and episode synopsis.

Boy Amazon is quick!! I got mine today...can't wait to watch it. :hurray

At the end of "The Leap Home, Part II" I recall hearing "I Wish It Would Rain" (by The Temptations IIRC) before the big reveal and the score music kicks in. On the DVD it's peppy generic sax music in the background.

i have S3

Hey guys,

Just picked up Season Three. Yes, there are music changes. One I've noticed is some cheezy filler music at the start of One Strobe Over the Line. However, "Imagine" in The Leap Home Part I is there. For me, Imagine is to Season 3 as Georgia on My Mind/Unchained Melody is to Season 2. Luckily, this scene wasn't deleted or somehow re-edited to accomodate for cheaper music. Overall, I am disappointed that Universal did not respond to our outrage at music changes over Season 2 with more than a miniscule disclaimer, however, I am glad that they got the big one right on this set. Although, it's gonna suck watching the season 5 set, the last scene of the entire series in Mirror Image with that God awful Spanish tango in the back as opposed to Ray Charles. Ugh! I shutter at the prospect...

I wish so much that these QL DVD's were REALLY complete. It's a damn shame. Worst part is, I'm sure a show like Dawson's Creek has all of ITS original music. That's a fair trade off. (Cough)b*llsh*t!(cough).

-J.J.

Re: i have S3

Call me optimistic, but
Although, it's gonna suck watching the season 5 set, the last scene of the entire series in Mirror Image with that God awful Spanish tango in the back as opposed to Ray Charles.
I don't think so. My guess is they will get the right for that song for that one little scene at the end of it all. They will replace some other great songs in the 5th season, sure, but not that one. How do I know? I don't. It's just a guess because Universal knows (or is it just "know"?) what this song means. I really want to know how many upset fans wrote to Universal because of the replacement in "MIA".

However, I did not buy season #3 and at this time there is nothing that can change my mind.

Season 3

I haven't bought the set pretty much because of the music changes. I suspect that my girlfriend will eventually buy it for me at some point, but I refuse to personally contribute to Universal's wealth. I know the fact that I'm not going to buy the set will make virtually no impact whatsoever, but it will at least make me feel better knowing that I don't settle for sub-standard quality.

If everyone thought like this, the entire onslaught of Reality TV shows probably wouldn't be nearly as overwhelming as it is now, because no one would watch them. (And basically all other downright half-assed crap that infests pop culture nowadays, for that matter [a particular "star" sticks out in my mind whose name is also a city in France].) The only way I'll own the set is if someone gets it for me, like with Season 2. To be quite honest, I don't even care whether I ever get to watch the set or not! (The episodes, yes, Universal's set, no.) Who would have thought I'd get to the point where I don't even care if the rest of the series comes out on DVD?!

I'm getting really fed up with the way entertainment is becoming nowadays; it's getting so bad that even older shows like QL are suffering when released on DVD. I can't even live in the past without aggravation now! This is the reason I barely watch TV anymore (I haven't even been watching my current favorite show, 24 [but that's only because I'm afraid of spoilers]). I'm contemplating sticking to only books from now on, because books seem to be one of the few forms of entertainment left that actually have ORIGINAL ideas. Ah, I've rambled a bit... Anyway, yeah, I don't care if I see the sets anymore. :\

Re: Season 3

I haven't been in a rush to go out and get one. I may just enter and hope I win one of the giveaways here if Universal does that with you again, Brian. <g>

Re: Season 3

Well, I have been reading this forum for quite some time, and I finally felt that I had to write and respond to a few posts.
Of course, they are regarding the music issues....namely M.I.A. (Georgia On My Mind).

I felt so strongly about this being in the episode that I tried an experiment of ripping the butchered M.I.A. show from the DVD that I purchased, and then transferring my DVR recorded version of M.I.A. from the sci-fi channel to my PC.
I then ripped the audio portion (just the Georgia part) of the sci-fi channel version, and then dubbed it over the DVD version...a perfect fit! So now I have an extra DVD placed into my Season 2 DVD set of QL.

I may actually do this for every episode that had songs taken out...it works like a charm, and there is no loss in picture quality or audio quality, as sci-fi was recorded in stereo.

Take that Universal!:lol

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one other thing.
I have also been ripping and inserting the CORRECT teaser at the end of those few Season 2 episodes which shows leaps into Season 1 eps, because Universal was too damn lazy to care enough to put the proper sequence on the DVD.

I am watching these episodes in cronological order with my son, who is seeing these for the first time, and he keeps asking me, "dad, why did he just leap into that 50's teenage race car driver again?" and "why did Sam leap into the black guy again?".

Well, I have fixed those problems and added a couple of extra "special" DVDs to my Season 2 set. Leaps are now all in order, and M.I.A. has the correct music.

I am sure that I will need to do this again for S3, and I look forward to the challenge! :)

I think "Imagine" was changed to a more elaborate version.

Btw, it always bugged me that SB couldn't pretend any better that he was playing guitar. It is very obvious that he is not.

Worst part is, I'm sure a show like Dawson's Creek has all of ITS original music.
Funny that you mention it - at least on the season 2 Dawson's Creek DVDs, they indeed changed the music in at least one episode: I only noticed that because it previously has been one of my favourite Tori Amos songs :( :( :(

Ok, I googled it now and found the proof: DC music replacements - wow, they did change a lot :nut

So it's the same for every series, I guess *sigh*
Doesn't make it any better, though... >:

Hmm

" Oh yeah, forgot to mention one other thing.
I have also been ripping and inserting the CORRECT teaser at the end of those few Season 2 episodes which shows leaps into Season 1 eps, because Universal was too damn lazy to care enough to put the proper sequence on the DVD.

I am watching these episodes in cronological order with my son, who is seeing these for the first time, and he keeps asking me, "dad, why did he just leap into that 50's teenage race car driver again?" and "why did Sam leap into the black guy again?".

Well, I have fixed those problems and added a couple of extra "special" DVDs to my Season 2 set. Leaps are now all in order, and M.I.A. has the correct music.

I am sure that I will need to do this again for S3, and I look forward to the challenge! :)"

Actually... that's the way it was aired...

Because... the show was on every week, and not a new episode was aired every week, so they kept it consistant with what shows were going to be rerun the next week... so, Universal actual kept the non-syndicated, original, endings (which weren't correct)... just like the end of the 1st season into the 2nd.:wavey :wave y

Re: Hmm

Yeah,

I'm chugging through Season Three...the leap out at the end of "Runaway" is into "Another Mother" which is in Season 2, rather than the next episode "8 1/2 Months". Gosh, you'd think someone over there at Universal would have the insight to put right leap ins in the episodes, regardless of the original runs. Of course, there isn't much good Universal has shown us in these sets in general, except for the fact that they made them at all.

lordwow - you said that you (ingeniously i might add) ripped visuals from the DVDs and overlaid original sound to new DVRs. Is it possible to burn the entire discs, menus and all, with the newly restored episods on them? Essentially a complete season 2 on DVD as it should have been?

By the way, I just watched "Black on White on Fire" last night. Am I alone in thinking that this is one of the greatest episodes of the series? It's so relevent, and passionate, so surprising and poignant. GOD QL is a fantastic show.

-J.J.

Re: Hmm

I tried doing that myself, taking the audio off my old video of MIA and putting it over the messed up DVD version, but I couldn't get the rest of the DVD audio to work, so I kind of gave up. I'm glad other people are doing it too, hopefully sometime there will be a complete DVD release by the fans, with the proper music. Then we wont have to worry about Universal messing up ever again. Once we have them, that will be it, either Universal decide to pay what they should have done in the first place and bring out the box sets again, properly this time and with extras to make up for what they did, or new fans in the future will be able to forget the Universal versions and get the fan made ones!

I wish so much that these QL DVD's were REALLY complete. It's a damn shame. Worst part is, I'm sure a show like Dawson's Creek has all of ITS original music. That's a fair trade off.

Nope.

Sony is cheaper than Universal. I mean, everyone associates that Paula Cole song with Dawson's Creek, but on seasons 3,4,and 5, the theme is a specially commissioned piece done for the overseas airings of the show.

Not to mention that Sony's music replacement butchered Season 5 of DC's "MIA Moment". Just as Georgia on my Mind was to Al and Beth's scene, so too was the Dobie Grey song "Drift Away" to the death of Dawson's Dad. However, Sony didn't feel like shelling out the cash for the original version, so they had some lame white boy do a butchering cover of the song.

To put it in QL Terms, Imagine if Universal had had, say, someone from American Idol do a cover of Georgia on my Mind for the final scene of MIA.

And, let's not forget that because of music industry hold-ups, Married With Children doesn't even get to use the Sinatra song "Love and Marriage" for the theme song anymore.

It isn't only us QL Fans getting screwed by the greed of the music industry, it's fans of any show where any popular music is used.

ElectricPeterTork---just had to say I *love* your handle! You also make an excellent point. And welcome! :wavey

And, let's not forget that because of music industry hold-ups, Married With Children doesn't even get to use the Sinatra song "Love and Marriage" for the theme song anymore.
What??? Are you serious? I didn't even know that... :realmad

Wow,

i used Dawson's Creek as an example because it was the best series I could think of that had the most contempary music in it, music I was sure wouldn't be tied up like the 60's and 70's music from QL - but wow, same deal, huh? Unbelievable.

(sigh)

So depressing. I've read on this site that this whole music problem is due to a different interpretation of the word "video" in the original music contracts by the music companies. If that is really the case, then this is all much more ridiculous than I could have possibly imagined.

-J.J.

admirAL -- It wasn't lordwow who wrote about the DVR dub, it was me.
I got it to work because I had made a recording of the show off of sci-fi back in Janurary when it aired. The ReplayTV DVR that I have records in mpeg2, same format DVD uses, so the audio synced up perfectly...honestly, you would never know that there was any dubbing...the scene transition from when Sam & Al are outside Beths house talking to when they pan to her car and inside the house and start playing Unchained Melody is seamless. Both that song and Georgia are now on my newly created DVD.
As for menus, it's not possible to rip them. I just made my own.
Last night I performed my first "leap out" teaser fix!
I ripped "Troian" and "Animal Frat" from the DVD, and fixed the ending of Troian, and the beginning of Frat...made a new DVD with those 2 shows on them with the correct leaps. Worked flawlessly.;)