Favorite Show Opening

What is your favorite show opening?

• Sam narrating with the last week's ep to this week's crossover

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • The deep scary man's voice saying the longer narration ("Led an elite group of scientists...")

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ziggy narrating with the longer version

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Ziggy narrating with the shorter version

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Samantha Beckett

Project QL Intern
Oct 31, 2005
Vestavia, Alabama
I've noticed that from the pilot to the end of the series, there have been *counts on her fingers* four different opening narrations to QL. Here's where you come it! Vote for your favorite!

Samantha Beckett

I prefer Sam's narration... I even prefer the original, more throwaway version of the 'I don't even need a mask' line to the more deliberate reading.

Call me crazy if you like (yes, alright, not all at once, please) but the 'led an elite group of scientists into the desert' line always makes me think of Sam as some kind of serial killer or the leader of some cult or other. And since I thought of that there's no way to think of the sentence any other way... which rather spoils it...

Although I do like Ziggy's 'hoping that each leap will the leap home'. It's all so very sad... Speaking of that... the little drawing on the website of Sam's empty stocking is terribly, terribly sad. How was Quantum Leap not the most depressing show ever?

I'd say Deborah Pratt narrating with the shorter version from seasons 3-5. The longer version is cool, but I feel like it's trying to cram too much information in too short of a time. The shorter version is more simplistic for the general audience and gets more to the point. I liked Lance LeGault's version from "Another Mother" as well, but it just isn't the same as the tone in Deborah's voice. She has a way of making you care more about Sam and his being trapped in the past. Basically, she captures the fact that Quantum Leap is a show with heart. Sam's narrations from Season 1 aren't bad, either. I just don't think they're as good as the other saga cells.

Last edited:
QL Nut said:
I'd say Deborah Pratt narrating with the shorter version from seasons 3-5. The longer version is cool, but I feel like it's trying to cram too much information in too short of a time. The shorter version is more simplistic for the general audience and gets more to the point. I liked Lance LeGault's version from "Another Mother" as well, but it just isn't the same as the tone in Deborah's voice. She has a way of making you care more about Sam and his being trapped in the past. Basically, she captures the fact that Quantum Leap is a show with heart. Sam's narrations from Season 1 aren't bad, either. I just don't think they're as good as the other saga cells.

Yeah, my opinion of the longer is that for those who had seen and followed the show from the beginning were able to completely understand what Deborah or Lance were saying, no problem. Those who were like just tuning in, were probably like *blank stare*..."what the mess?". LANCE SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA ME!! I had never heard that opening before I watched the DVDs, and when this deep, terrifying man's voice starts talking, it seriously scared the crap out of me. It'll prolly be a while until I can stop fast forwarding thru that ep's narration.

britishbecca said:
Call me crazy if you like (yes, alright, not all at once, please) but the 'led an elit group of scientists into the desert' line always made me think of Sam as some kind of serial killer or leader of some cult or other. And since I thought of that there's no way to think of the sentence any other way...which rather spoils it.

One...yes Becca, you are crazy! And two...L M A O! :roflmao::roflmao:Great, now it's spoiled for me too, because now I'm gonna bust out laughing every time I hear that opening thinking of what you think of it! :lol That's freakin' hilarious tho! It's true, you can interpret it that way...that's too damn funny.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
It was my poll and I had set it to close i think a week after i posted it. I like Sam's narration too, but the first one i ever heard when i was 7 was the shorter version said by Ziggy, so some allegience has to go that way, lol

Samantha Beckett

yes i like then all except the ziggy intro that is said by a man, which i believe is only featured in "Another Mother". i always fastward him or put on my music, i just...ack.:p

SamBeckettfann said:
yes i like then all except the ziggy intro that is said by a man, which i believe is only featured in "Another Mother". i always fastward him or put on my music, i just...ack.:p

He scared me to death! I had never heard that version of it before. I had my back to the screen as it started and when i heard this deep, scary voice instead of Sam's, my heart leapt in my throat...the big, booming voice scared me...:(

Samantha Beckett

Now I'll have to go back and watch Another Mother again, just so I can hear the deep scary creepy man's voice.:lol I guess I missed it the first time. Or, it didn't scare me enough to make an impression. I honestly don't remember scariness.

Oh my gosh! I absolutely do not remember any freaky voice at the beginning of the show anytime and I know I have seen all of the episodes...is this only on the DVD's?
Plus, I'm not sure I remember Scott narrating anything either...I do remember the one that is narrating about the group of elite scientists in the desert...but that voice isn't scary...wow..I must have missed something..lol!

Sam narroated in season one and about half of season two as i re discovered
hint: it all started when a time travel expierment i was conducting went...a little caca".

in season two however there was no introduction there was just Sam explaining and giving his opinion on the previous leap and the leaping life all together.

the creepy voice is a males that does ziggys normal narration, which is only featured in the episode "another mother"

I've seen another mother but I sure don't remember the freaky voice...must have missed the intro..lol!
I do now remember Sam narrating in the first season....must have had a memory lapse...not feeling too good today anyway..

That "creepy" man's voice was Lance LeGault who played Tess McGill's father in the 1st Season episode, "How the Tess Was Won." At least, that's what Brian has said a couple of times in the past, so I assume Brian knows what he's talking about. (Plus, it sounds like Lance LeGault.) ;)

I assume that the producers were simply trying to experiment with getting the right "voice" to explain the back-story of the series. Same thing goes for the different intros that were used when the show first began.

That's my two pennies... :p

Damon

Dman176 said:
That "creepy" man's voice was Lance LeGault who played Tess McGill's father in the 1st Season episode, "How the Tess Was Won." At least, that's what Brian has said a couple of times in the past, so I assume Brian knows what he's talking about. (Plus, it sounds like Lance LeGault.) ;)

I assume that the producers were simply trying to experiment with getting the right "voice" to explain the back-story of the series. Same thing goes for the different intros that were used when the show first began.

That's my two pennies... :p

Damon

But what I have to wounder is why they needed to air it if they were just testing different voices? I like the woman the best!

jmellissa said:
But what I have to wounder is why they needed to air it if they were just testing different voices? I like the woman the best!

How else were they going to test how it would fair with the fans if they didn't play it for them? They were looking for feedback i guess.

Samantha Beckett

Honestly, I don't know. I was just speculating, really. It's just very common for producers to tinker around with a series during its first year or so, especially the opening credit sequences, until they get it "right," you know? So, why should Quantum Leap be any different? :p

Damon

yeah that's what i was thinking, i mean they were still in the stages of figureing out what they wanted so how else are they gonna know what wprks and what doesnt. although i thought Sams intros worked fine?