A portrait for Troian

jmellissa

Project QL Intern
Aug 22, 2005
Coos Bay Oregon
Hi there,

Last night I watched (on DVD) A Portrait for Troian.

I have a few questions thou. If the bother was the one doing all the mind games, what was the "real" gost for? Did she have anything to do with what happened to her bother? why could her bother hear Al and the chamber door open and shut? And what was the big earth-quake, was that a "kiss with history"? The really old dead people that came up from the bottom of the lake was really groos!

I must say I really loved the humor in this one.

Anyway if anyone would like to help me to understand....that would be most helpful.

thanks Julie

jmellissa said:
Hi there,

Last night I watched (on DVD) A Portrait for Troian.

I have a few questions thou. If the bother was the one doing all the mind games, what was the "real" gost for? Did she have anything to do with what happened to her bother? why could her bother hear Al and the chamber door open and shut? And what was the big earth-quake, was that a "kiss with history"? The really old dead people that came up from the bottom of the lake was really groos!

I must say I really loved the humor in this one.

Anyway if anyone would like to help me to understand....that would be most helpful.

thanks Julie

ok, first of all, no one really knows what the deal is with Mrs. Stolts, what we do know is that she was the wife of Nathaniel Claridge, and he drown both her and the butler becasue they were having an affiar. My guess was that she came back to serve her desendents, especially after Julian died, probably to protect Troian from a simular fate becasue being a ghost she probably knew about jimmy. or maybe she just wanted hang around the place where she once lived.

Al could be heard by the claridges because of that machine soon to be invented as the rictor scale, it picked up his voice becasue of his holographic programming. the earthquake i am guessing it was just random.

i hope that helps.

The Richter Scale (which is used to measure earthquakes - not predict) actually far predates the date of this leap. It was actually developed in 1935. Even though Sam makes allusions in this episode that Dr. Mintz equipment, or the barking of the dogs could be used as a rudimentary predictor of earthquakes this is actually false and feeding off of myths. According to the US Geological Survey there is no way to predict earthquakes.

The earthquake that occurs in the episode is, indeed, as "kiss with history". The San Fernando earthquake occured early in the morning of February 9, 1971. Although it was only a 6.6 on the Richter Scale (ranking moderate to large) it's still one of the most devasting earthquakes to occur in California because it occured in a wide, heavily populated area. 65 lives were lost due to the earthquake and damages were over half a billion dollars.

As far as Mrs. Stoltz, my take on her was that her spirit wasn't able to rest since her body (and that of her lover's) had never been recovered. She struck me as being somewhat protective of Troian but also I think she would have welcomed Troian's drowning since it would have reunited her with here husband who was still in the lake. I believe that's why she locked Sam in the room. Once her body and that of her lover's were recovered from the lake her story could effectively be brought to and end and she was then able to rest in peace so her spirit simply disappeared from our plane of existence.

thank you

thank you {jmoniz}

That was helpful. I really enjoy hearing the thoughts of other people.

{The Richter Scale (which is used to measure earthquakes - not predict) actually far predates the date of this leap. It was actually developed in 1935. Even though Sam makes allusions in this episode that Dr. Mintz equipment, or the barking of the dogs could be used as a rudimentary predictor of earthquakes this is actually false and feeding off of myths. According to the US Geological Survey there is no way to predict earthquakes.}

I didn't know that they could not predict earthquakes. sorry if I didn't use the quote right.

Julie

Also worth mentioning about this episode for those that don't know: When Sam checks his reflection to see who he's leaped into, the leapee in the mirror is none other than Don Bellisario. Deborah Pratt, Don's wife (or ex-wife?), who plays the voice of Ziggy, also stars as Troian. And although I don't know this as fact, I believe the name Troian was used after their daughter, Troian Bellisario, who played the little girl Theresa Brookner in "Another Mother." There's also a bit of a blooper in this episode as well; at the end when the dead bodies are recovered from the water, a close eye can see that the actors are breathing.

jmoniz said:
The Richter Scale (which is used to measure earthquakes - not predict) actually far predates the date of this leap. It was actually developed in 1935. Even though Sam makes allusions in this episode that Dr. Mintz equipment, or the barking of the dogs could be used as a rudimentary predictor of earthquakes this is actually false and feeding off of myths. According to the US Geological Survey there is no way to predict earthquakes.

The earthquake that occurs in the episode is, indeed, as "kiss with history". The San Fernando earthquake occured early in the morning of February 9, 1971. Although it was only a 6.6 on the Richter Scale (ranking moderate to large) it's still one of the most devasting earthquakes to occur in California because it occured in a wide, heavily populated area. 65 lives were lost due to the earthquake and damages were over half a billion dollars.

As far as Mrs. Stoltz, my take on her was that her spirit wasn't able to rest since her body (and that of her lover's) had never been recovered. She struck me as being somewhat protective of Troian but also I think she would have welcomed Troian's drowning since it would have reunited her with here husband who was still in the lake. I believe that's why she locked Sam in the room. Once her body and that of her lover's were recovered from the lake her story could effectively be brought to and end and she was then able to rest in peace so her spirit simply disappeared from our plane of existence.

well after this i feel stupid now, i guess i was no help:hmm

I liked 'Portrait for Troian'. Scared the pants off me though. Whispery disembodied voices and creepy kids get me hiding behind cushions every time (that probably says something really deep about my psyche). If this episode had had a creepy kid in it I would not ever be able to watch it.

I LOVE ambiguous things like the whole 'who was Mrs Stotlz' thing.

Al's Handlink said:
And the woman that played Mrs. Stoltz was the same woman to play Zoe in the Evil Leaper episodes

I thought that was her!! The whole time i was like, "she looks so familiar", and it wasn't until the end when it hit me that she looked like Zoe.

Toian Bellisario was the CUTEST kid in "Another Mother"! I couldn't get over how adorable she was as I was watching that ep!

QL Nut-- They should've said to those actors playing the dead bodies. "whenever the camera's on you, hold your breath!" Then again, if one of the was caught gulping in this big breath to hold i would have been more noticable, lol

Samantha Beckett

britishbecca said:
I liked 'Portrait for Troian'. Scared the pants off me though. Whispery disembodied voices and creepy kids get me hiding behind cushions every time (that probably says something really deep about my psyche). If this episode had had a creepy kid in it I would not ever be able to watch it.

I LOVE ambiguous things like the whole 'who was Mrs Stotlz' thing.

i did not like it much at first eaither and did not watch it agian for the longest time, but when i finally decided to see it agian, i found it much better the second time and grew to like it.