Need your input on Guest Stars!

CarolD

Jul 15, 2006
New York
OK, gang, I see by the little info at the bottom of the screen that this forum has 85 active members. So let's see 85 responses!!!

As Brian and I have said, we NEED your input in order to put together a great con. For some of you, that may mean providing thoughts and ideas so that your fellow fans can have a remarkable weekend, and they'll share photos and memories with you afterwards.

So...think about these questions.

1) What guest stars would you most like to see? (Other than Scott and Dean, please.)

2) What types of programming do you enjoy the most?

3) Is food a big issue for you, or do you just grab a bite when you can?

More questions to follow...

As I am in Ireland, I would not be able to attend. However, I shall play Devil's Advocate.

a) Teri Hatcher (not realistic I know)
b) Jason Priestly
c) Willie Garson
d) K Callan
e) Chubby Checker
f) Patricia Richardson
g) John D'Aquino
h) Brad Silverman
i) John Cullum
j) Carolyn Seymour
k) Marcia Cross (not realistic)
l) Julie Brown
m) Susan Diol
n) David Newsom
o) Diedrich Bader
p) Richard Herd
q) Dan Butler
r) Kurt Fuller
s) Candy Ann Brown
t) Joseph Gordon-Levitt
u) Sean O'Bryan
v) Tamlyn Tomita
w) Jerry Hardin
x) Liz Torres
y) Frances Bay
z) Bob Saget
i) Amy Yasbeck
ii) Terry Farrell
iii) Brooke Shields
iv) Jennifer Aniston (not realistic)
v) Michael Boatman
vi) Renée Coleman
vii) Kimberly Cullum
viii) Meg Foster
ix) Melora Hardin
x) Megyn Price
xi) Bruce McGill

Hope that gives you fruit for thought.

CarolD said:
So...think about these questions.

1) What guest stars would you most like to see? (Other than Scott and Dean, please.)

1 > Apart from Dean and Scott it's gotta be Deborah Pratt, Richard Herd, John Diaquino, David Newsom, ideally Don but I doubt it and i'd like to see Renee Coleman from the Evil Leapers.
2 > Quizzes, Special episode screenings, Auctions of props, Chat and interview sessions, an autograph and photo chance, no cosplay please - just a little too excessive, maybe a chance to have the attendees win memorobilia and stuff, and ooh FREE BUFFET!!!
3 > See above^^^:hmm

Richard Herd, for sure. Costume designers and screenwriters, definitely. And, well, just anyone who would be willing to come, I'd be interested in seeing!

Well, I've never been to a convention before, so I'm not entirely familiar with what all goes on there.

But from what I've seen of videos from various cons, I see that booths for merchandise, meet-and-greet of celeb guests, Q&A panels, and special video presentations are the norm. So that all sounds good to me.

Games and giveaways sound fun, too. I wonder how much it is to rent a small Teleportec module... It'd be cool to have a place where fans could get videotaped being "holograms". Or if we did something a lot cheaper like setting up a green-screen and having us interact with an episode or background or something.

I actually would love to have costumes welcomed. No need for any sort of cosplaying events or contests or anything, but if someone wants to come dressed up, I think that'd be awesome. I myself was thinking that the 2009 date gives me three years to lose weight and make a Tina costume to wear to the con.

The only thing I'm personally worried about is any overlapping activities... I've been to a film festival before, and at times it was difficult to decide what I wanted to do, because there was more than one thing running at the same time...

I typically eat when I feel hungry, so cheap concessions like hot dogs or burgers or something are fine for me. I'm most likely to be spotted at Taco Bell, with their cheap gas and all.... ;)

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

I would hope costumes are welcomed. I'm already in the planning/creating stages of something that I don't want to back out of (i.e. I've already started spending $$). And no, it's not the giant squishy Mr. Scrub-O sponge. Sorry!

CarolD said:

1. Anyone who had anything to do with Quantum Leap.
2. Scifi, comedy and adventure.... basically... QL.
3. I grab a bite to eat when I can. :)

MJ

CarolD said:

This is a tough one. I would love to meet anyone associated with QL, but I'll try to narrow that down a bit.

First and foremost (besides Scott and Dean, of course) I'd love to see Don Bellisario and Deborah Pratt. I don't know anything about the crew of the show, so I can't really make any suggestions there. But as for guest stars, here's a list of who I'd like to see:
-Candy Ann Brown
-Kimberly Cullum
-Terry Farrell
-Jerry Hardin
-Richard Herd
-Bruce McGill
-Gigi Rice
-Patricia Richardson
-W. K. Stratton
-Tamlyn Tomita
-Susan Diol
-Troian Bellisario
-Carolyn Seymour
-Renee Coleman
-David Newsom
-Melora Hardin
-John D'Aquino

CarolD said:

I've noticed that this question has been answered two different ways: in terms of TV programming, and event programming. I'll answer both ways to be safe. TV programming-wise, I'm a big sci-fi fan. As for convention events, I've never attended a con before, so I don't know what I like and don't like. Games sound fun, and I liked the idea of a costume contest. And, of course, I want to meet the stars!

CarolD said:

When I'm at a big event where there is a lot to do, I only remember to eat when I start feeling faint with hunger, so no, food isn't an issue. A vendor with snacks and meals you can eat quick is ideal.

Originally posted by LadyKayoss I've noticed that this question has been answered two different ways: in terms of TV programming, and event programming.

I meant event programming, but it never hurts to know everybody's preferences as far as TV and movies go (it'll help choose dealers for the dealers' room, since there's so little QL merchandise available).

Thanks, everyone who is answering! Your preferences for guest stars will really help when it comes time to contact those folks to see who could attend. There were hundreds of guest stars, and (much as it would be fun to do so) we can't invite 'em all. So knowing who your favorites are helps a lot!

Well, here's a thought for event programming as well as dealer type stuff.

Ever notice the similarity between Sam Beckett and other epic heroes? Quite expectedly for those who know me I would be thinking of say, Mr. Frodo Baggins or even that "other" Sam--Samwise Gamgee.

Might be interesting to see a panel on common themes / archetypes / etc. in QL, LotR, Star Wars, and other large epic type things.

Oooo... I'd love to see a comparison to the old Wild Wild West series pop up in a panel like that... I could go on and on about how much Sam and Al remind me of Jim and Artie.

As I browsed YouTube today looking at videos from the San Diego Comic Con, I was struck by an idea. It's a fairly outrageous idea, and I have no idea if anyone would be interested in doing it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for perusal:

Something that they do at Comic Con is a show made up of various cosplayers (costume players) doing skits based on their favorite shows/movies/games/etc. For example, there was a skit done of Harry Potter that involved dancing to "Witch Doctor". There was another that featured all the Disney "princesses" singing a parody of "Barbie Girl" called "Disney Girl"... You can see the Disney skit here, as an example of what I'm going to propose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL5X3e2PUt0

So, I was thinking.... maybe we could get the QL radio play cast together and record a QL skit, perhaps even including a parody song or two (maybe Shane's "Waiting Room" song even).

What people usually do is pre-record the voices, music, & sounds into a single track burned onto a CD. If we did something similar, it would allow all the Radio Play people to participate even if they don't end up getting to go to the con for whatever reasons or if some don't want to go on stage. Then we find people who would want to actually be on-stage in costume, performing/lip-synching to the soundtrack and voila!

Most con skits seem to be humorous, but I hear that there are every once in a while more dramatic pieces. Since this convention we're doing is more specific around a single show, we could do a whole 15 minute to half hour show... So we could do a nice vignette that maybe is plotted around Sam coming home or something that includes a good balance of both drama and humor.

So... yeah, that was just a thought/inspiration I had. Take or leave as you will... I dunno if we could get one properly arranged at all, though we'd have about 2.5 years to work on planning it....

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

You know, Joy, that reminds me of an event that TORn hosted at ELF. (TORn = TheOneRing.net)...it was at the ice cream social (a separately ticketed event that was included in the Wizard's Circle pricier tickets). There was a trivia competition, but the other fun thing was kinda sorta similar to what you're describing here (which sounds really cool, btw).

It was a small skit thing but only announced at the ice cream social so it was very much off the cuff. It was announced that there would be a series of short skits wherein the con-goers could perform any scene from the LotR movies or books interpreted in any manner they desired (within reason of course, though no one's skits intentionally violated decency...ours ended up doing so on accident <g>)

My group and I re-enacted the scene where the Ringwraith chases Frodo to Bucklebury ferry. I was the Ringwraith, another lady was my horse (clapping ice cream cups together a la Monty Python and the Holy Grail)....I chased "Frodo" around the tables, she yelled "Freeze!" we all froze and she began schmoozing at the tables, "Hi, I'm Elijah Wood, nice to meet you..." and then "Unfreeze!" wherein we all resumed dashing and the "other hobbits" Beckoned "Frodo" to jump onto the ferry (the stage)---which she did....however, when she landed, her skirt flew up revealing her bloomers.

Anyway, I relate that story to say that you can do such a thing as a fun competition with little to no prep time involved.

Oh yeah....our skit? It won. We won a single TheOneRing.net T-shirt...which we unanimously decided "Frodo" had earned. <g>

Very intriguing ideas! Of course, we need people to actually participate in these things, so keep working on your ideas and what your role in them would be. Once we know the con is definitely a "go," we'll be reaching out to everyone for concrete plans. So keep these things percolating in your heads! :)

Hrm It's a pity that I'm in Ireland and can't attend this. Any chance that my Quantum Geek trailer could be displayed? :p

MrVestek said:
Hrm It's a pity that I'm in Ireland and can't attend this. Any chance that my Quantum Geek trailer could be displayed? :p

Don't let living in Ireland stop you attending! I live in England, and I'm going to fly out there. Of course, I'm on the committee, so I'm kind of expected to be there, but flights are probably cheaper than you think. In fact, I've paid less to fly to the states than some of my American friends have paid for a domestic flight. So don't count yourself out of this just because you live the wrong side of the pond!

Well, Dean and Scott can't possible count as "guest stars"!!
- Bruce McGill
- W. K. Stratton
- Teri Hatcher
- Michael Bellisario
- Claudia Christian
- Willie Garson
- Warren Frost
- Patricia Richardson
- John D’Aquino
- Brad Silverman
- Ryan McWhorter
- Laura Harrington
- Carolyn Seymour
- Robert Duncan McNeill
- Susan Diol
- Norman Large
- Caroline Kava
- David Newsom
- Olivia Burnette
- Richard Herd
- Scott Lawrence
- Candy Ann Brown
- Bill Erwin
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Tamlyn Tomita
- Liz Torres
- Amy Yasbeck
- Bob Saget
- Terry Farrell
- Brooke Shields
- Cameron Dye
- Renée Coleman
- Kimberly Cullum
- Fran Bennett
- Max Wright
- Mary Gordon Murry
- Melora Hardin
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer
- Hinton Battle
- Maggie Roswell

It's too bad that certain guests (Dennis Wolfberg, Susan French, Charles Rocket, Roddy McDowell) have passed on.

As you can tell, I have a thing for recurring actors and those who tie over to Seinfeld, JAG, and Star Trek. :b

I've never been to a convention before, so those more experienced should probably address these. It would be nice to have some sort of meal together, either to start it off or to finishing things. <G>

So don't count yourself out of this just because you live the wrong side of the pond!

My return flight from Toronto to Gatwick cost about $700 Canadian this past April/June (I went to Europe for five weeks)... so that's about £350 if you take Air Transat. I don't know what it would be from the UK/Ireland to Los Angeles, however, especially three years down the road.

At least placing it in 2009 gives people some time to plan. I, personally, would love to go, but as I don't even have a full-time job yet, money is a huge issue, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be saying that. I figure that two or three years from now I should be able to afford such an excursion. <G>

... Mike.

I just found out the other day that Susan French had passed away - a sad moment. I met her at the con in 1995, and found her to be a truly lovely, lovely lady.

She told me she lived cliffside near the beach, with hundreds of steps leading up to her house. She rented rooms to a young woman and was astonished when her tenant bought a Stairmaster to work out with. Told her, "Darling, just go outside!" I thought that was so cute. It's not like the girl would have to deal with bad weather, using the outdoor stairs...

I'm not sure how available Dr. Ruth is, but we'll have to try and get in touch with her "people." I think it would be a HOOT to have her at the con.

Hum....that makes me wonder how available Dr. Laura might be... <g> Since she was in "Roberto!"

Guest stars

Let's get this going again!

Which guest stars from QL would you most like to see? There are something like 300 to choose from, but we can't fit that many into the schedule. So let us know your favorites! (Other than Scott and Dean, of course.)

You can include production team members, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: