Complete Series Boxset a Definite Possibility!!!

Enterprise

Project QL Intern
Mar 3, 2006
Newcastle, UK
Ok, i've just been around the local Shopping Centre in Music Zone and have seen that Universal Playback have been releasing Complete/ Collective Series Boxsets for Magnum PI (Series 1-4), The A-Team(1-3), Murder She Wrote and Knight Rider(All), Now I know that the Knight Rider sets sold similarily to QL over here in England, so I thought, ummm, is a Complete QL set good-to-go?

Anyways I asked the guy and he said that some 'new sets' are on the way for other Universal shows, like Columbo and maybe QL, around New Year after the Complete 5th Series on December 25th. So possible Great News!!! :eek

I agree totally, re-releasing the exact same sets seems kinda pointless, when what we really want is complete music for a quality show. Oh and some extras please! ;)

*grumbles* Great. Just great. I hate it when they do boxed sets after I buy everything. Why can't they just do everything right the first time and save me the money?!

I think it's highly unlikely that Universal would tweak the sets in any way. The most that would probably happen is the packaging for Seasons 1 & 2 changing from the "book" packaging to the slim pack cases for consistency.

Of course it would make sense to use the original music this time, but the reasons why it was removed in the first place aren't going to all of a sudden disappear. There's still the tug-of-war between record companies and movie studios, as well as ridiculously high costs of songs. We got lucky that Universal gave in and actually listened to the fans with Season 5, but I have a feeling that's the most we're going to get (at least until some real resolution comes into play).

As for the bonus features, I'm more optimistic, because there has to be some kind of incentive to buy the boxset after all the cash fans spent on each season individually. It's pretty much like how Greatest Hits albums have a brand new song or two by the artist most of the time. Most fans already have the albums, but those songs give them a reason to buy it anyway.

Ultimately I think it's better that each season is released individually first because the buyer has more freedom (i.e. if a fan hates a season or two, they don't have to still purchase them no matter what). This problem occurred with the Back To the Future - The Complete Trilogy release, and there were many fans that only wanted to buy the first film but had to buy all three.

Last edited: