Different music? Something's wrong!

Re: What the HECK!

This is DEVASTATING news!!

I haven't pre-ordered the QL Season 2 DVD set yet and I'm glad that I didn't, this is for why:

Because now I can send Universal a canceled cheque for the amount and enclose a letter telling them that I'll Honor the cheque when they Honor their fans!

about Thou Shalt Not...

Yes, they did the same with Thou Shalt Not... At the start of the episode, the party at the beginning they take out all the songs (except the one that is sung at the party) and use their new tunes.

Re: about Thou Shalt Not...

I think it's too late for me to cancel but I'm never going to preorder something like this again. They've gone way behond hope this time.

Fan presure is the best I think. It worked when QL was still on the air.

Yet more screw-ups from Universal...

This is so enraging... they're messing with a classic (and cult [i.e. us :lol ]) television series by changing the music like this. Universal, like Tom said, has their own music division. How expensive could it possibly be? I think I would pay a little extra to have the ORIGINAL episodes on the DVDs. They're already a little too pricy to begin with: all DVDs and CDs are.

>: :realmad :banghead :shoot
azcrying.gif
:help

... Mike. :(

Re: This is absurd!

Years ago, when John Highes' 16 Candles and Breakfast Club were first released on DVD, the rights to all the rock songs lapsed out and in turn crappy filler music replaced the rock soundtrack which hurt the DVDs...Years later, the rights were regained and the movies were put back out as High School Reunion editions...surprise: the company for those DVDs was Universal

Well I am very, very upset and depressed. I had a tooth pulled on Friday and I did not think I could suffer anything else as painful for a while, but I was wrong. I was finally feeling better tonight and so I thought to myself, Emily, before you go to Al's Place you should go to Universal and order the DVD since it officially comes out tomorrow, and so I did and then came here. BIG MISTAKE on my part! :realmad I could just kick myself for not coming here first to see if anyone got their DVD's and see how they were before I went and paid $45.00 for this ludicrous and cheap set. :( I am very disappointed and must admit I too, (along with must of you), feel like crying as well! :cry

Jennie, I also offer up any help that you may need/want or can be given in drafting, proof reading, signing, ect... any petition or letter ('s) concerning our sheer disappointment and dismay over this event. I believe we must stress what Damon mentioned which was that Universal should recall at least this season two DVD set! I know we can't actually demand that our money be refunded back to us, but we need to request in the strongest and yet most polite, (that is, as polite as we can be), way possible, that given the circumstances they give it some great thought and consideration! Universal needs to understand that we paid them in good faith for originally cut and quality episodes and that we had every right to expect that that is exactly what we would be getting when we decided to make our purchase of their product. :evil I believe Universal has defrauded us the consumer and misrepresented their product by advertising the fact that they were selling originally cut and quality season two QL episodes to the public when in fact we all may as well have been buying a pirated version, because it sounds to me as though that has ended up being the kind of quality DVD that we the consumer ended up unknowingly purchasing from Universal. >: I believe it is completely deplorable on their part to do that to us and rip us off like that! I believe we should do all in our power to make sure that Universal doesn't get away with it and that nobody else buys this misrepresented product like the rest of us did! Again I will :help in any way I can and am asked. We must all come to some collective agreement as to how this matter should be handled and I believe the sooner the better.

A very hot tempered and disappointed QL fan, :protest
Emily.

I must say with some :eek: that I have not yet had time to work on the letter (I was literally falling asleep on my feet at Praise Team practice last night--I have had the craziest schedule of the last couple of weeks). However, I do plan on getting at least a rough start tonight and I want to thank you, Emily and Damon, for your offers of assistance. I will so be taking you up on that! :)

Folk--

I've been doing some checking (I work in the entertainment industry), and I know what Universal is doing.

I don't approve of it, but I know what they're doing.

DVD-HD is coming within the year. So they (and the other studios) are starting to roll out their TV shows asap, as cheaply as possible, so that we'll buy them AGAIN when the next version comes out.

It's not a great thing, it's not a happy thing. But it's part of why this happened.

Now, personally, I will be in the minority when I say that the 'Georgia on my Mind' song at the end of MIA bugged me to no end. I thought (even when I first saw it) that it was a terrible recording, and the weird 'echo' that happens at the end of the episode always struck me as annoying and really grating on my nerves.

So while I understand the strong sentiment that people have for that song in that episode, I don't miss it on the DVD. Just as when we get to Mirror Image, I won't miss it there, either.

SAYING there are extra things and then not having them is far worse, in my mind. As is the fact that never in my life have I seen a 2nd season have -LESS- special extras than a 1st season.

Sorry to intrude with my first post here--but thought some people might appreciate at least a somewhat partial answer. Although having commentaries that explained whether this was a Bellisario choice or some loser in the DVD authoring room would be nice.

Anyone thought about trying to contact Deborah Pratt or Donald Himself and ask -THEM- what happened? Get an official answer from someone?

UnseenPresence

other music

I hate to be a pessimist here, but what will this lead to? Will the scene where Sam sings John Lennon's "Imagine" be deleted from "The Leap Home?" What about the Elvis Presley episode...my God will they even include that one at all?

Re: other music

Just got word from a QL Yahoogroup member that "Disco Inferno" has been messed with as well, with such songs as "The Hustle" being replaced (and that was my fav. scene in that episode--Al dancing to The Hustle...).

Joy

Re: other music

Jennie: That's all right, I was just goofing around with ya. :b

UnseenPresence: While I highly disagree with your statement about "Georgia on My Mind" being annoying (terrible recording may be because of the technology of the day: I'm not sure if when you "first saw it" that it was the original airing or a repeat), I have been wondering what the next step after DVD will be. I haven't heard of DVD-HD before, but if it's only going to be a year, I might as well stop buying DVDs now and wait.

I agree with what you said about the extras: they said there would be some, and then didn't include them. A huge letdown.

Getting in contact with Don or Deb won't do anything except alert them of this disaster, if they don't already know. They had nothing to do with compiling the DVDs (as far as we know) and most likely strictly a Universal screw-up.

newmanduke1: Somebody mentioned "Imagine" as well... I don't think that will be a problem since it was Scott singing and not a recording of Lennon's song. As for "Memphis Melody", I think it might be the same thing.

Joy: I agree with you about that Al scene... so that's, what, four episodes that they've butchered now? Aishhhhhh... :(

... Mike. :\

Not necessarily.

HD-DVD will be a niche format for quite a while, and it'll only work on High-Definition televisions. I don't see everyone forking over the cash to get another television, when the analog one they have is still in working order.

Also, with a show such as this, where the masters are video(as far as I know), there won't be much of a difference at all in quality, unless they go back to the negatives of EVERY episode, which would be ridiculously expensive.

My 2 cents....

I did something that I don't think that I've ever done before. When Damon and I were talking last night on MSN, he asked me about what I thought about what was going on with the DVD Set of Season 2. The thing that I have never done? Well, I think that I made Damon's mouth drop open and actually stare at the MSN screen.

I think that he may have actually looked like this: :hair

You guys know how much of a Quantum Leap fan I am. You know that I usually live, breath, eat, ... etc. Quantum Leap. I'm sure that if I actually poked myself and started to bleed that it would come out in a lightning blue sparkling hue. The websites Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons and Quantum Retribution is just one of those things that I just enjoy doing and heck, I'm not even getting paid to do it. I just put it out there for others to enjoy. You guys know me.

How did I make Damon's jaw slack open? Basically, I'm not all that upset over the music problem.

Why you may ask? (or scream, or just fall out of your chair, faint and then get back up and ask -- why?)

Well, let me put a little background with this. First, I'm in a position in my life at the moment where things are just how they are. I mean, I'm away from my family, living in a town with some friends for the rest of this week before I can actually be with my family again. I've been going home on the weekends -- I see them for a day and a half, then I'm on the road to go back so that I can go to work. The move is a good thing for my family and I put in my resignation to the school that I am working for and told them that I'd finish out the semester. Things are hectic; things are not where they need to be; things are out of my hands.

Now... the gripe session can begin, right? Wrong.

Why aren't I upset about it? As far as I'm concerned, as long as the actual episode (the speaking parts) weren't tampered with, as long as the acting wasn't just completely cut apart, then I can't have cause to gripe. Okay, yes, I'm disappointed, as everyone should have a right to be, but I'm not going to write to Universal and gripe and b*tch and moan about something that they may or may not fix.

I've read through all the posts. Yes, in MIA, Georgia was their song. Yes, I know this. You don't have to point that out. No, I haven't actually seen the disc. I haven't even held it in my hands. I haven't heard the "generic" music that they put up. Heck, I didn't even know that the movie "Ray" was out even for that matter.

The music rights that Universal may or may not have may be the case. Heck for all we know, perhaps this is the "director's cut". Or could this be what the show would have actually been and then they dubbed in the songs, etc.? I don't know.

Did Universal take shortcuts and cost for the production? I don't know. If they did, they will pay the price. Is what Unseen Presence said true? Is it all about the DVD-HD? *shrugs* I don't work for Universal and I don't have an inside scoop with Donald Bellasario (as much as I'd like to.)

I asked a friend of mine in the advertising industry about this. He said that probably the expectation was high. They let us down. He also said that perhaps that they had the right to put it on VHS tapes, but not on DVD. (Did we have any idea that DVD would be out when they first bought the rights to the songs, etc?) There's a question for ya. I will say this much -- Universal should have put on the box somewhere -- with some kind of notice that not all the songs would be used and given a small reason why (perhaps inside the box).

He was right about one thing. The main thing here is that the Quantum Leap community's expectations were high. Possibly too high. Yes, they did a good job with the first season. They had all the bonus features and all the little things for everyone to see. They had the packaging all perfect. They did a good job on that one. Now, the second season is out and the expectation was just as high as the other. If the expectation is that high... and you are that put out with the DVD set, then by all means, send it back and ask for a refund. That in of itself would be enough of a damage, I think, that would make Universal think about re-doing the season. BUT... will they? That's the question.

I do understand how everyone is irritated, frustrated, griping, and okay.... down right angry because of it. They are taking a show that we all love and messed with it. Yes, I do understand that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can't be angry. I'm just looking at this from every angle. I'm not going to beat my head against the wall and freak out about it. At the moment, I'm just sitting here thinking -- how will that help? Will it help if I kick the wall, put a hole in it, freak out, gripe, complain and then write a heated letter to Universtal to get them to change their mind? There would still be a hole in my wall and I would still have to get it fixed. No, it probably wouldn't help at all -- in fact, I would then have to get more money to pay to get the hole fixed.

Ok, they messed with it. Am I disappointed? Yes. Will I write a letter to Universal about it and gripe and complain? I don't know. I still need to think about that -- I'll probably buy the set and have it. If they indeed do decide to redo the season then I probably will get that one as well.

*Shrugs* I guess that I should be up in arms, but I just can't be. It's the way it is at the moment (just like my job) and I have to take life as it is handed to me and deal with it the best that I can.

So... that's my two cents. Take it as you will. I just reserve the right to have my own opinion on this subject and I know that the other Quantum Leap fans who read this may want to respond negatively or shockingly to it. Just respect my opinion. You may not like it; I just ask that you not gripe or bite at me for how I feel personally on this issue. If you do have a personal problem with it -- you may email me.

MJ

Re: Things to consider...

A question - By Naming the set "The COMPLETE Second Season," coupled with giving NO warning or labeling on the outside of the box that the episodes have been changed and edited, isn't this a clear example of misrepresentation and False Advertising (in the legal sense, I mean)? Something to consider when returning your item... :protest

I've been a fan of the show since the original broadcasts, and this is an extremely disappointing situation. I'm not buying Season 2 in anticipation of Universal pulling the same stunt with Season 3 (which has my favorite episode , "Private Dancer," which will no doubt be stripped of the songs in the way "Another Mother" apparently has been. :banghead

Something else annoyed fans can do - go to Amazon.com and post your complaints in the review section with 1 star - The "5 star" rating the set got was from fans who posted before the set was even released - enough low ratings will eventually pull the overall average rating down. :evil

Amazon ratings

Thanks for that idea, Gary. I just posted my review over on Amazon.ca, so hopefully it'll clear and warn anybody considering it to buy it to think twice.

Now, on to FutureShop.ca to do the same...

... Mike. :\

Music

This makes me think of the movie Almost Famous. In that movie, there was a deleted scene where the kid was pleading his case to his mother about why he should be allowed to go on tour with the band Stillwater

The deleted scene was just of the actors listening and reacting to the song Stairway to Heaven

The scene was not in the movie because Cameron Crow could not get the rights to the song. So what he did, is he included the scene in the deleted scenes section of the "Untitled" version of the DVD Almost Famous

In the scene, just before the song is supposed to play, a message comes up telling you to put your own copy of the song Stairway to Heaven in your CD player and cue it up when the tell you. This way you see the scene as it was meant to be seen.

They could have done something similar to this with the dance scene in MIA. If they had left the music out completely, we could have played our own copies of Georgia and still had the dialog.

I mean this is going way too far. If they change filler music, then so be it. But when you change a song that is so integral to the episode (And the series itself) there is something seriously wrong.

I mean if they are going to remove Georgia from MIA, why don't they just remove The Twist from Good Morning Peoria or Imagine from The Leap Home.

There are just some moments in a series that you just don't mess with, and the Dance to Georgia is one of them.

Tom
Al's Handlink

Re: Music

Well, MJ, I certainly do respect your opinions on this matter. I'm glad that you can at least not be bothered by this. That is the more mature and responsible way to deal with this matter. But I'm still going to b**ch about it. Expectations too high? I don't think that's accurate at all. Since when have we gotten to the point where expecting to have a show preserved EXACTLY the way we remember it has became a high expectation?! Who in their right mind would naturally expect any less? It's not like we're asking for anamorphic widescreen, extensive special features, interviews with the cast and crew, original artwork, behind-the-scenes, video montages, etc. Alright well, maybe some of us are. I sure as hell would love all that. But I think the overall expectations of fans (especially the members of this board) were very humble and reasonable. All we wanted were the episodes exactly as they originally were, that's all.

This is the problem with many things in this world...over time, the standard of quality slowly drops, and people react accordingly and eventually get to the point where they've forgotten the previous level of quality. So now comes a situation where the bar is moved down lower when it used to be higher and nobody even remembers the difference. And now we're forced to glorify a lower level of quality and never realize how things should have been. A sad day for us fans indeed. Despite what others may think, the removal of these songs DOES destroy the episodes. This is not how Don Bellisario intended his series to be, and there is no doubt that he is not happy about these changes; what creator/director/artist in their right mind would be? Who wants to see their original work chopped up and edited and redone by somebody else?

I personally am not going to buy this DVD set, although I suspect that my girlfriend has already bought it for me for Christmas, in which case I will keep it because it's a gift from her. But only because of a sentimental value issue, that is if she bought it. Contrary to what you may think however, b**ching and moaning about this just might actually, in fact, make a difference. If everyone decides not to care about it and leave it as is, well then, for sure we are now being pushed around and forced to enjoy a sub-par version of our beloved series. It's now more a situation of the entire principle of the matter which is fighting for what is right rather than a case of a few unhappy fans who can't deal with the fact that music from their favorite series has been removed. Think about it. :\

** Sorry Clara I got you and MJ confused!!! My mistake :) **

I'm not impressed with Universal. My husband and I bought 3 DVD series from them (QL season 2, Battlestar Galatica and Buck Rogers) and ALL of them have atleast on DVD messed up!! We even tried playing it on Robb's computer DVD player and it did the same thing so I know it's not the DVD player. And now I hear they changed music because they are too cheap to pay for a few songs!!!! If I didn't want the series on DVD I wouldn't buy anything from them.

BTW did anyone notice that the video quality isn't that great?? It seemed REAL grainy to me.

Martha, I did notice that. It wasn't as sharp and clean as the first DVD set was. It was like watching taped off of TV....except of course, altered. *sigh*

Man, when I watched the first set, I was so excited. It so went above and beyond what I could have DREAMED of having. And this? This just feels slapdash and churned out.

...and by all aspects, the edits were done by someone who hasn't watched a single QL ep and definitely not a fan :banghead

Universal is a horrible company! The songs don't matter as much as being able to view it(aka my damaged disk! one of three damaged disc from this company >: )...even though it was pretty bad to remove a major song like Georgia On My Mind.

I can almost see them finally get permission for it for the last episode and the re-release season 2 again (and the following seasons if they do the same thing with the rest of it ) and have us shell out more money just to get it. :( I'm thinking after QL fully comes out I'm not gonna buy anymore movies or TV show DVD's from them.

If I hadn't been waiting for so long for it to come out I probably wouldn't even buy it right now. It's kinda like being stuck between a rock and a hard place...but I bought season 1 so now I have to get the rest edited or not...oh well.

Georgia on my Mind

MJ
I respect your opinion. I even agree that the changing of some of the music is fine.

Personally, I won't have the DVD's until after Christmas, so I haven't seen Good Morning Peoria yet on the DVDs. Would I have noticed the changes in the music from that episode, Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. I am of the opinion that if they change some of the background songs, so be it.

But, the two versions of the "Georgia On My Mind" dance are on the Al's Place web site played one after the other. I downloaded and watched both versions and personally, I think that changing the song to the generic piece of fluff that they used, It ruined the whole scene. (The song almost sounded upbeat)

Personally, I don't think that the scene is anywhere near as emotional as it was in the original run. Also, the scene is meant to show Al reacting to hearing "Georgia" on the record player. With the music they replaced it with, Everything just seems out of place.

I think that if there is just one stand alone scene that defines the heart of Quantum Leap, it was that one and Universal ruined it. That is what upsets me most.

Also, I think that Universal should respect the fans enough to at least have some basic features like those on season 1. I mean, here we are spending all this money to buy these DVDs, and what do they give us? They give us only the episodes themselves. And they change the episodes to boot.

I don't think that the people that actually assembled these DVDs were even fans of the show. If they were, they would have left that scene alone if no other.

This is just my own opinion. But I think that if you are able to watch the two scenes back to back, that you will agree that they way they did that scene showed no respect for the show.

If I sounded at all rude during this reply, I want to apologize. It was not my intention.

Tom
Al's Handlink

Re: Georgia on my Mind

Tom, I literally just finished showing the change Brian put on the site for us to my Mom, who hasn't even seen many episodes of QL--to my recollection, I don't think she's ever seen M.I.A. before. She was APPALLED by the change, and said, "The scene doesn't even seem sad anymore." Also, "You don't feel the longing they have for each other." That the music wasn't "sultry" enough. She even said, "It's sort of like 'oh well.'" And she too doesn't understand why they would make such a change like that--especially with no explanation! She even asked me if Universal had given a reason for the change.

:cry :protest :cry

I have every intention of getting my letter to Universal out before Christmas. I just want to be sure it says all it needs to say to express the sheer callousness and destructiveness of this change!

Re: Georgia on my Mind

Hello all, first time poster (though my real 1st post was just ate by the board...) and I must add my voice to the protest.

I love QL even though I never saw it during its original run (as I wasn't even in an english speaking part of the world at the time), but I caught the re-runs and totally fell in love with it. Now, even with re-runs, I never managed to catch most of the episodes and as I was fairly young then, I don't remember half of what I watched (except the very emotional scenes and, of course, Al coming through the door). So I had to purchase the DVDs in order to watch all the episodes.

I might not have been a fan for the original airing, but still, I've been a fan for years. Now I feel very cheated that I am not seeing the episodes the way it was meant to be seen! I loved when Al showed his other side (Dean Stockwell was just so convincing and sincere when he played those rare emotional scenes, I get totally drawn in. Plus the fact that we don't see that side often added to the value of those scenes). I think I first fell in love with his character (over Sam!) when he talked about his sister's death. That speech, by itself, made me want to cry for his lost; so, understandly, I was very terribly terribly upset over MIA.

So I need you guys' help! If a kind and helpful individual could compile all the addresses (web forms, e-mails, snail mails) to where we could send our complains to (not just to Universal), as well as phone numbers, websites where feedbacks to the DVDs would have an impact, or anywhere where I could point out this atrocity for people to notice, in one post, or perhaps even sticky it, I would be grateful. I am terrible at organizing and it would help so much to others too if this was made easier without all the hunting around. I apologize if this was already requested or posted somewhere on the site. If so, could someone please point me to the right direction?

Thank you everyone for this forum. I am glad this place existed where I could rant without sounding like a obsessive fanatic!

My letter to Universal

This is what I just e-mailed to Universal. (I don't know if this is what I'll say in my "real" letter.)

~~~~
To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to express my EXTREME dissatisfaction with the second season DVD release of Quantum Leap (QL). I was thrilled when I heard QL was being released to DVD, as I was a latecomer to the series and never did see the episodes in their original airings on NBC. Now, with DVD, I had the chance to do just that--to see the COMPLETE series, as you advertised it. And, with the first season, I did. What sharp quality, what great attention to detail, what wonderful surprises with documentaries and easter eggs featuring Don Bellisario, Scott Bakula, and Dean Stockwell.

I was esctatic when I heard the second season was being released the SAME YEAR as the first season. Now that I have the second season in my possession, I truly wish Universal had waited to deliver a quality product.

On December 14, I purchased my set. It was with some trepidation, as I'd heard online that music changes had been made. Still, I purchased the second season. And quickly realized my dissatisfaction.

While the first season surely was DVD quality, the second season appears grainy to me. There are Bonus Materials purported to be on side B of disc 3, according to the outside of the box, but no Bonus Materials are to be found. These are minor details compared to the biggest gripe I have with the set.

I am primarly concerned with alterations to the final episode of the second season, M.I.A., which is my all-time personal favorite Quantum Leap episode, well-written, and well-acted, with powerful evocative performances delivered by Scott Bakula, and especially Dean Stockwell. Every song but one has been changed, which destroys the underlying symbolism. Perhaps you don't realize, but Mr. Bellisario and Ms. Pratt deliberately selected songs not only to designate specific eras in US History, but also to create a mood, underly a scene, perhaps create irony. So, when the instrumental of "This Guy's In Love With You" is taken out, the clues being dropped to the viewer that the character of Al has a lot at stake here (as well as some of the pathos) is removed. When The Supremes singing "Someday" is taken out of the moment when Sam sees the photo of young Al on the mantel, the irony that Al and Beth *won't* "someday be together" is taken out. The removal of The Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody" takes volumes away from Al's speech to Beth--the lyrics profoundly speaking of a man crying out to his love so far away from him.

But perhaps worst of all, the removal of Ray Charles' "Georgia on my Mind" from the final dance!! The removal of the music (a song that was important to the two characters and haunting in its beauty) was bad enough, but the music selected to replace it, quite simply, ruins the scene! The sultry sound of Ray Charles singing of a love always on his mind, as a man "dances" with and pleads with the one true love of his life, who has selected this song because of what it means to her, what HE means to her, is gone....replaced by some sort of perky, upbeat, far too old sounding instrumental music that ruins the pacing of the scene, and completely drains it of emotion.

This one scene is pivotal to the heart and soul of QL--this one scene plays an integral part in the series finale, Mirror Image. And this scene has been destroyed.

Please tell me--why were these changes made? Why were they not disclosed to the fans? How can a set claiming to be the complete QL, the original episodes as they aired, take such steps to destroy it? Additionally, how can a set be sold claiming to contain material it doesn't have (i.e. the Bonus Materials)? Why wasn't the time and effort put into the first season release given to the second season release as well?

I don't know how this travesty can be corrected, but it needs to be! I don't know if a recall, a reissue, or a swap can be done. Whatever steps you can take, need to be taken! This leaves such a bad taste in my mouth where Universal is concerned.

Regards,
Jennifer Rowland
~~~~

Re: My letter to Universal

You know, as a result of all of this, all week long I have been singing "Georgia On My Mind" to myself.

Re: My letter to Universal

Could someone that has the set, turn the subtitles on when the songs are played? I read that Northern Exposure's set has the lyrics to some of the songs in the subtitles. May be the case with QL.