Sam's diet - urgent SOS

leaper1

PQL Security Staff
Staff member
Sep 1, 2002
Bedford, England
Can anybody help me please?

I have a nagging thought that Sam is allergic to shellfish, but I'm not sure if that is canon, or something I invented years ago and forgot about.
The eps Moments to Live (oysters as aphrodisiacs?) and Southern Comfort (stirring gumbo) come to mind, but it is so long since I have seen those eps, and being school hols (hubby home) I am unlikely to get to watch them over the next few weeks.
I need to know for the vs story I am working on.
If anyone can shed light on this, I would be very grateful.

Hi. As I recall, Sam's not allergic to shellfish (I don't think), but he hates okra, which is a major ingredient in gumbo. In "Leap Between the States," he makes a romantic dinner and says, with a funny look on his face, "I've got okra . . . I think I'll let you and Isaac have all the okra."

I don't blame him, really; okra's kinda slimy.

i have heard that okra is nasty, and i remember that line from leap between the states.
i pretty much knew that he was not allergic to shellfish.

Sam Beckett Fan said....i have heard that okra is nasty, and i remember that line from leap between the states.

*G* I, too, remember that line from A Leap Between The States, and as one born and raised a good part of my life in the South (Florida) I leap to the defense of okra. I love it --boiled (slimy), fried, by itself or as an ingredient in a dish. I agree with Al. To paraphrase a line of his from Southern Comforts....There's nothing like good...gumbo", and okra is one of the ingredients in a gumbo.

-------
Eleiece

I was born and raised in the south...i could eat fried okra as a meal anytime of the day. Both kinds too--cornmeal and flour fried. *mouth waters* I hungry now...lol

Samantha Beckett

I pretty much came to the conclusion that Sam is not allergic to shellfish, cos I remembered "Leaping of the Shrew" when he eats the grapes with toothpaste and she offers him to share the clams she caught! He would surely have mentioned an allergy then if he had one. LOL

It is fun when an old thread comes alive again though.

What exactly IS okra, by the way?

leaper1 said:
I pretty much came to the conclusion that Sam is not allergic to shellfish, cos I remembered "Leaping of the Shrew" when he eats the grapes with toothpaste and she offers him to share the clams she caught! He would surely have mentioned an allergy then if he had one. LOL

It is fun when an old thread comes alive again though.

What exactly IS okra, by the way?

Helen, here's the link: http://www.ochef.com/382.htm where I found the following information about okra.

----------------
Q. Could you tell me what okra is, and where you get it?
A. Okra is a plant that produces an edible pod that is eaten as a vegetable. It originated in Africa, perhaps Ethiopia, and was brought to the Americas with the slave trade. The pods are green, have a ridged skin, and generally a narrow, tapering shape, although some can be almost round. (Pods longer than about 4 inches are likely to be tough and fibrous). In cooking, okra exudes a gummy fluid that is often thickens whatever dish it?s in.

Okra is most popular in the south in the United States, and is available year-round there. Fresh, it is available in the rest of the country generally from May to October. It is also available canned and frozen. Okra is best known as being an ingredient in southern gumbos, where both its flavor and thickening qualities are appreciated. It can be prepared in many ways, though ? saut?ed, stewed, braised, and baked.

----------------

Eleiece

Sherdran said:
Helen, here's the link: http://www.ochef.com/382.htm where I found the following information about okra.

----------------
Q. Could you tell me what okra is, and where you get it?
A. Okra is a plant that produces an edible pod that is eaten as a vegetable. It originated in Africa, perhaps Ethiopia, and was brought to the Americas with the slave trade. The pods are green, have a ridged skin, and generally a narrow, tapering shape, although some can be almost round. (Pods longer than about 4 inches are likely to be tough and fibrous). In cooking, okra exudes a gummy fluid that is often thickens whatever dish it?s in.

Okra is most popular in the south in the United States, and is available year-round there. Fresh, it is available in the rest of the country generally from May to October. It is also available canned and frozen. Okra is best known as being an ingredient in southern gumbos, where both its flavor and thickening qualities are appreciated. It can be prepared in many ways, though ? saut?ed, stewed, braised, and baked.

----------------

Eleiece

THanks E - I always said it was an education getting to know you guys!!!!

okra_sm.jpg

Okra