Afterthoughts after watching QL on DVD.

BlueSovereign

Project QL Intern
Oct 30, 2005
UK
The past few years has been quite a ride regarding watching QL on DVD. It was great to watch the whole series again and today I had finished watching Mirror Image. All I can say is that after collecting these sets and watching the episodes again I have a hunger for more. After watching MI I felt like throwing my bedside lamp into my TV because after watching all those leaps I really, really, really wanted Sam to return home. Those last words "Sam never returned home" and the depressing music that accompanied it made me shed some tears (like the first time I watched it many years ago) and then the burning question in my mind "Why ?!" - it actually felt like loosing someone you care for. Now I'm thinking of A Bold Leap Forward and praying that they make this because I want to see Sam return home, have a huge party with Al and co and being reunited with Donna - the guy deserves nothing less. With all the remakes being done these days I think Universal would be stupid not to make this new series. There is always the virtual series though and I will get around to reading them at some stage to get my QL fix when I hunger for it.

Lastly, now that I have all the episodes on DVD I will watch them again but I will probably give them a break for a long while - the longer the better, since I find this increases my enjoyment if they are allowed to rest and the memories have faded a little. I will keep coming here though since I enjoy the discussions and its great to share ideas and thoughts on our memories of the show. No doubt I'll keep having dreams about the show after all this viewing and it was great to read other peoples' experiences in the QL Dreams thread that I started a while back.

I think I see what you mean. I've had a rough couple of years, and I really depended on the security of QL. I knew how it would end, but I felt angry and hollow when I saw it. I watched Mirror Image last week at about two in the morning, and was up until four or five just crying. About nothing, really.

I do love reading the virtual series. Although it's really not updated anymore, the Starbright Project stories are WONDERFUL reads!

newleaper said:
I think I see what you mean. I've had a rough couple of years, and I really depended on the security of QL.
I've been having a rough experience these last few years so I understand where you are coming from.

I do love reading the virtual series. Although it's really not updated anymore, the Starbright Project stories are WONDERFUL reads!
At the moment I feel I need a break from QL, but as soon as I start wanting more of it I will begin reading these stories. I wonder how the writers of the Virutal Series will choose to end the show - if they will bring back Sam or not.

BlueSovereign said:
I've been having a rough experience these last few years so I understand where you are coming from.

At the moment I feel I need a break from QL, but as soon as I start wanting more of it I will begin reading these stories. I wonder how the writers of the Virutal Series will choose to end the show - if they will bring back Sam or not.

We haven't ended the show yet... don't count us out. We are at 8 years... and we've not given up hope yet. :)

MJ
Producer of QL:The Virtual Seasons

QL Damsel said:
We haven't ended the show yet... don't count us out. We are at 8 years... and we've not given up hope yet. :)

MJ
Producer of QL:The Virtual Seasons

8 years. . .(amazed) w-well that's a long time going. Do you have any way of knowing how many readers have downloaded each of the stories ? I'm just curious and will be reading them anyway. In fact, last year I did download the first few eps from season six and read one or two - I remember them being well written but I got side tracked with other things and I gradually forgot about them until now.

Yeh man, I just recently finished watchin ol' QL on dvd. Mirror Image is still in my head!

I understand where you're coming from, there is a great sense of achievement (however fruitful it is) in having thye episodes and watching them throught - no commercials and uncut - but i'm just so glad that Universal released the show, it's great that so many more people could get to enjoy it (namely myself) and enjoy what all us fans have gained from our experiences to do with the show.

I know that without rediscovering QL, the last 9 and odd months on this board would have been a gaping whole of fun.

I'm glad that everyone who has replied so far understands.

I'll just add that I entered "Quantum Leap" into the news.bbc.co.uk website last night and I came across (almost instantly) an article about A Bold Leap Forward entering production in 2002 and it came across as very positive and definate. What I don't understand is the reasons why it never came about after all - I'm sure that the sales of the DVD's should indicate the current level of interest in this show and could be the reason why the show was delayed production. If the sales figures are good, they will probably press ahead at some point in the near future (I hope :banghead).

It's so much better being able to view it with no commercials. There were like three commercials each episode when they show it on the UK.

desirelife said:
It's so much better being able to view it with no commercials. There were like three commercials each episode when they show it on the UK.

I like my viewing with no interruptions as well so I buy the DVDs or record what I want to watch - that way you make your own TV schedule when you want to watch with no distractions which is what I've been doing for the past 10 years anyway.

desirelife said:

ITV3 are actually showing Quantum leap again - weekdays at 10:45AM and 5:00PM (Same episode looped twice), they're up to Season 2 now. (Unfortunately there are like, 4 ad breaks an ep. Grab that kleenex now!

BTW: Does anyone actually know the DVD sales figures from the US and worldwide?

Ordered the 2017 print (released alongside the Blu-Ray version) last week after realizing I could theoretically afford it. It's not here yet, but I'm psyched for it to arrive.

OMG 10 years since I made that first post !

Still no sequel series, but hey - what can you do when everything has already been done by the fans before eh. Still think they should make a new pilot and at least try to make one.

Was re-watching QL and in the middle of Season 4 when my copy of the 2017 print came in the mail. I was mildly disappointed to learn that it came with no perks (read: closed captioning), but otherwise quite a bargain.

Hubris

Just finished re-watching (for the I don't know how manyth time) Mirror Image (and all the other eps, of course) on DVD.

I never thought about it at the time, but I can't help but wonder now if the "in universe" GTFW was punishing Sam for his hubris in the creation of the QL Accelerator and breaking the rules.

I always supposed previously, as Sam mentions in MI that GTFW had either always intended for Sam to come along and build PQL and put right the wrongs, or that (a non-omniscient) GTFW had simply grabbed hold of the happy accident of Sam's invention of time travel and was using it to fix problems that had crept into the timeline (also making GTFW non-omnipotent). But when you sum up all the crap Sam goes thru, the pain he suffers and the fact he never gets home, I have to wonder if GTFW had any regard at all for Sam's wellbeing, or merely used him as a tool or was actively messing with him.

Additonally (as I posted elsewhere) in the QL novels, Sam has some contact between leaps with a voice in the void that says stuff like "are you ready, Dr Beckett?". The way the voice is described instantly (and lastingly) made me wonder if perhaps Ziggy was in more control of leaping than he ever let on.

Even though I hate mirror Image's ending, it reamins, to me, a moving, and well-crafted episode that shows that whether ending a season, or a series, the whole crew, writers, cast, everyone, LOVED what they were doing and wanted to show it.