Different music? Something's wrong!

Re: Amazon review

I'm not totally recanting my opinion on the matter after watching the clip that Brian put up. I am disappointed. But since I haven't been able to buy it yet, I'm somewhat in between on the issues now.

I guess I'll sit on the fence and throw stones. :p

subtitles

The subtitles give the name of the song, if the song is heard. So we get the subtitle saying "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" when we hear that song, but for the scene where Sam puts the record on at Beth's (which has new music) it says "'60s Motown". For the place where Unchained Melody has been removed they say "Rock Ballad" and for where Georgia On My Mind should be it says "Ballad".

Re: subtitles

They kind of had to keep the song "Heard It Through the Grapevine" because Sam actually sings along with it. If they removed that song, then they would have had to trim that scene or it definately would have made even less sense than the slow dancing to the upbeat music in the end. I wonder if the characters sang along to every song, maybe Universal would go out of their way to keep the songs in the episode so that it makes sense? For removing these songs, Universal has their copyright excuse, but to trim scenes, there would be no way out of that one so I think they had to leave it intact and had no choice but to preserve that particular song.

Picnic theme

I hope we get an answer from Universal soon, I've just been watching Good Night, Dear Heart and they've taken out the theme from Picnic, another very important bit of music! It was kept for the season 1 set when heard in the pilot episode, so why did they have to change it here? Is it that they can only use each song once? There doesn't seem to be any pattern to which songs they leave alone and which they replace.

Somebody call Jamie Foxx or better yet Scott Bakula!

A "cover" is someone else performing their own rendition of an original song, and is usually legally "safe."

Wouldn't it be great if some fans with friends in high places were able to get a recording of someone singing "Georgia" at the right tempo to replace the horrible muzak we got instead?

I was just thinking it'd be funny if it were Jamie Foxx, but it would be esp. meaningful to Leapers for Bakula to do it himself...

Anyway, this is my first post on these forums. Glad to see there are lots of active online QL fans. Looking forward to some sort of letter-writing campaign...

Re: Somebody call Jamie Foxx or better yet Scott Bakula!

Welcome to the board, ern2150! This is the best Quantum Leap related site you will find on the web; Brian (alsplacebartender) has done a phenomenal job creating this site, and you can find all kinds of cool stuff here.

Anyway, you make a good point concerning the cover songs of the original artists. This has been done for other series, so I really don't see a reason why Universal simply could not just put cover songs in place of the originals. We would have still been upset, no doubt about that, but at least it would have made more sense with the slow dancing at the end of "M.I.A." among other episodes.

For God's sake, they could have gone to any karaoke bar and used a private cover which probably would have been a lot cheaper! This just goes to show even further the half-hearted effort Universal has put into season 2. There is simply no way that the people in charge of these DVDs were fans of the show, or they would have strived to give the show (and its fans) the respect it deserves.

Re: Somebody call Jamie Foxx or better yet Scott Bakula!

The song they replaced "Georgia" with in and of itself isn't bad, but it just doesn't fit at all. They may as well have replaced it with "Bodies" by Drowning Pool.

Al: I want you to wait for me, Beth. I want you to wait for me. 'Cause I'm alive out there.

(YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH. Let the bodies hit the floor. Let the bodies hit the....)

...ok, maybe not.:p

Re: Amazon review

I'm not totally recanting my opinion on the matter after watching the clip that Brian put up. I am disappointed. But since I haven't been able to buy it yet, I'm somewhat in between on the issues now.

I guess I'll sit on the fence and throw stones. :p
I had a feeling MJ would start reconsidering her view slightly after watching Brian's "Before & After" video clip.

After watching it myself, I have to say, "OH! DEAR!! GOD!!!" Horrible doesn't even begin to describe how bad that new "muzak" is! As soon as I get some downtime, I am going to do my best to help out Jennie with the main letter we need to send to Universal and any other concerned parties. This is a travesty in every sense of the word! I'm insulted that whoever put these DVDs together thought we either wouldn't notice or care. Can you imagine if they pulled this kind of crap with the hard-core Trekkies?!? Dear God, blood would be flowing in the streets! (Granted, you very rarely hear licensed music in Star Trek, but still...)

Shrug

Well it IS disapointing, these changes. I'm going to tolerate them... for now. But if they do this again, I am really going to complain. Whatever petition you guys throw together, I'll certainly be signing though. Keep me informed.

Re: Shrug

The real crime was not the removal of the music (although that IS a crime), it was the poor choice of replacement music. I hope people stressed that in their e-mails to universal.