Convention: Does anyone want to try...?

Yes I understand now
and Ziggy just upped the senario of me being able to make it since Los Angeles is a car drive distance from me instead of plane distance. ;)

alsplacebartender said:
For those of you saying you can't come... think about it this way. If you saved only $1 per day for the next 30 months, you'd have enough and change to go to a con in LA including hotel, food, and ticket for three days.

$1 per day. Those of you overseas, might be $1.50 a day. $30 to $40 a month, folks. It's possible - you gotta be dedicated though!

Some of you could get a second job and work only 1 day a month to pay for this. Think about it that way! :D

I know what you are saying, Brian, but some of us already have our money spent months before we even get it. I'm talking bills, new payments going here, there and yonder and even then, there's money for emergencies and for working on projects around the house.

I would LOVE to go. Even if it's almost 2 1/2 years in advance warning it's hard to imagine going. When Dean was in Dallas/Ft. Worth with his art, I would have LOVED to go and meet him and look at his art, but... I'm a teacher. I had to work that day and I couldn't take off that day to haul myself up to Dallas (3 hours away) at the end of the day to meet with him.

But who knows... who knows what the future holds. Maybe.

Maybe.

Or as Shane is great at putting... someday.

MJ

QL Damsel said:
I know what you are saying, Brian, but some of us already have our money spent months before we even get it. I'm talking bills, new payments going here, there and yonder and even then, there's money for emergencies and for working on projects around the house.

I would LOVE to go. Even if it's almost 2 1/2 years in advance warning it's hard to imagine going. When Dean was in Dallas/Ft. Worth with his art, I would have LOVED to go and meet him and look at his art, but... I'm a teacher. I had to work that day and I couldn't take off that day to haul myself up to Dallas (3 hours away) at the end of the day to meet with him.

But who knows... who knows what the future holds. Maybe.

Maybe.

Or as Shane is great at putting... someday.

MJ

Dean is an artist? very cool8)

QL Damsel said:
Even if it's almost 2 1/2 years in advance warning it's hard to imagine going. When Dean was in Dallas/Ft. Worth with his art, I would have LOVED to go and meet him and look at his art, but... I'm a teacher. I had to work that day and I couldn't take off that day to haul myself up to Dallas (3 hours away) at the end of the day to meet with him.

My mom's a teacher too. But she took us kids to Disney World one year in February. :) I know what you mean, but for many of you out there who love this show and are here everyday talking about it... I can't let you pout. Gotta get you motivated! So go and teach driver's ed this summer or do whatever it takes - but get to LA in 2009! It can be done!

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Dean is an artist? very cool8)

Dean is a PHENOMENAL artist!!!!!! He separates his art and his acting 100%, so he does his art under his given name, Robert Dean Stockwell. He does collage, very surreal and evocative. If you ever have the opportunity to see his work in person I hope you take advantage of it if it's at all possible. Pictures online just cannot do it justice, but there are a few available at http://www.rbravens.com/stockwell.htm and http://www.gpgallerydallas.com/stockwell_images.html

McDuck said:
Dean is a PHENOMENAL artist!!!!!! He separates his art and his acting 100%, so he does his art under his given name, Robert Dean Stockwell. He does collage, very surreal and evocative. If you ever have the opportunity to see his work in person I hope you take advantage of it if it's at all possible. Pictures online just cannot do it justice, but there are a few available at http://www.rbravens.com/stockwell.htm and http://www.gpgallerydallas.com/stockwell_images.html

whoa, awsomeness
and Dean is his middle name!
I am learning a lot today hehe.

I guess I should start saving.

Being in Australia, getting to America for the convention seems like a big feat, especially as a uni student whose only income comes from tutoring kids who couldn't care less about their maths (and often drop out without notice). But it's not out of the question...

naggindragon said:
I guess I should start saving.

Being in Australia, getting to America for the convention seems like a big feat, especially as a uni student whose only income comes from tutoring kids who couldn't care less about their maths (and often drop out without notice). But it's not out of the question...

my sentiments exactly - unless i get a break in my music in the next couple years... it's gunna be a challenge - but hey, you gotta have faith right?

You know what Yoda said..."Do. Or do not. There is no 'try.'"

(Or something to that effect. Been a long time since I watched Empire.)

Either way...pay attention to our Bartender in Chief, there! No whining allowed. If you badly want to attend the con, make it happen! If you honestly could not find a way, we can still use your help. Get the word around to friends. Offer input on programming. There have been a lot of badly screwed-up cons through the years, and others that have been Lame with a capital L. Help us make this the best durn con anybody's ever seen!

I'll try my best.... It's three years away, so I'm quite positive I could save up enough to go. I'm a fairly frugal person, and when my heart sets on something that I really really want, I'm known to go to great lengths to save enough to get it.

So, yeah, I'm going to try my best to go to this.

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Yeah i am going to try my best as well.
Where in LA is this taking place?

We don't know yet. We're looking at the Burbank/North Hollywood area, since that was the site of all the previous cons, but location will depend on what kind of deal we can get on hotel space. Stay tuned!

Sam Beckett Fan said:
whoa, awsomeness
and Dean is his middle name!
I am learning a lot today hehe.

:D Yes, Dean takes his art VERY seriously. He's been quoted as saying he doesn't care if he never acts again. I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw. Like I said, if you get the chance to see it in person, DO!

I may be able to convince my sis to join me at the con... We can make it more than just a trip to the convention... We have family living out there (some who live just 2 hours north in Bakersfield), so we can visit them as well.

So, I think this can turn into a major vacation for myself and whoever wants to come with me. And three years is a long time for saving money, so I'm pretty sure I can save up enough.

Man, this is so exciting! And who knows.... Maybe in the next three years Sci-Fi Channel will get its butt moving and have a TV movie ready to premiere in '09 as a part of the 20th anniversary of QL.... That would make that year even better!

You know..... I might just set up a new phase for the Initiative. It's been a while since we've sent a wave of letters to NBC/Universal to show our support of QL. And it would be awesome to send a wave of letters suggesting that they try to get a TV reunion movie (starring Scott and Dean) ready for 2009 for the 20th anniversary... It gives them three years to develop and make one.

~ Joy ~

tina_als_girl said:
You know..... I might just set up a new phase for the Initiative. It's been a while since we've sent a wave of letters to NBC/Universal to show our support of QL. And it would be awesome to send a wave of letters suggesting that they try to get a TV reunion movie (starring Scott and Dean) ready for 2009 for the 20th anniversary... It gives them three years to develop and make one.

~ Joy ~

That sounds like a plan to me Joy!
Wouldn't that be awesome? Heck yeah!
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

If you could draft one of your wonderful generic letters, I'm sure we'd all send a copy.

McDuck said:
:D Yes, Dean takes his art VERY seriously. He's been quoted as saying he doesn't care if he never acts again. I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw. Like I said, if you get the chance to see it in person, DO!

I'm planning a trip to R.B. Raven's this fall. I'll let you know how much I like it.

tina_als_girl said:
Man, this is so exciting! And who knows.... Maybe in the next three years Sci-Fi Channel will get its butt moving and have a TV movie ready to premiere in '09 as a part of the 20th anniversary of QL.... That would make that year even better!

~ Joy ~

That would be great! Let us know if you do start the next Initiative phase. I'll be sure to write my share of letters.

alsplacebartender said:
For those of you saying you can't come... think about it this way. If you saved only $1 per day for the next 30 months, you'd have enough and change to go to a con in LA including hotel, food, and ticket for three days.
This is really an inspiring idea. I think that I am game to take the challenge. I will start a jar with money, and each day, I'll add to it. The days I'm on vacation, I'll try to remember to buy one less postcard for my collection, and see if I can do it that way. I will inform my husband of my plan, and then he can help monitor my progress.

I have been to LA before, and even a woman with Nastagnus (moving eyes) and Asthma can handle it, then anyone can! :) I'm dedicated, or insane, but luckly, Bellevue is on the other coast. :p

Of course, I will probably add more than just 1$ a day because I still have to pay for a plane ticket. I'll probably throw in 2$-3$ a day. That should work.

I have a severe post-9/11 fear of flying. Being in Kentucky, it kinda throws a monkey wrench into any plans of going to California. I haven't set foot on a plane since 1997.

Still... I have always wanted to see L.A. and a friend of mine has people out there. 2009, huh? Hmm...

If Scott can't show, would I get a discount for my voice acting abilities? lol

Be Well,
Shane

The Someday Man said:
I have a severe post-9/11 fear of flying. Being in Kentucky, it kinda throws a monkey wrench into any plans of going to California. I haven't set foot on a plane since 1997.

I don't fly either, Shane -- haven't since 9/11 (and terrorism is only one of the many reasons). I'm Amtraking it to L.A. and that's going to be no big treat -- since their budget is slashed every year, the trains are in terrible shape, the food quality has gone downhill, and the employees are often rude. But it's a way to cross the country. Never say never! Hope to see you in L.A.

Carol

I have to say that I'm quite opposite... I flew home alone from Reno just two months following 9/11.... It's been 4 years since I've been on a plane and I've been itching to get back on one to go anywhere. I'm thrilled about this trip in '09 'cause it means I'll be back in the air... I've always just rationalized with myself that if it's my time, it'll come no matter whether I'm in the air or on the ground, so I just have to take life by the joystick and fly free. :D

But, yeah, Amtrak is a great option for those afraid of flying. Driving is fun, too, though that takes a long time... We *did* once manage to go from KC to California in 2.5 days driving, but that's 'cause we had four driving adults who took turns and we only stopped for gas/food/restroom breaks. Too strenuous though to ever do again. ;)

But as Carol pointed out in her above post, "where there's a will, there's a way".

~ Joy ~

I guess my philosophy is when it's my time, it's my time, whether I'm in a plane, a train, or an automobile. ;)

would love too but i have school and work. that comes first...then i have to get enough reputation to be considered having vacation. right now i need to have my life sorted out put it bluntly. at 26, it's about time. whoever comes, will...yes. please whomever can, enjoy it for me. thanks. i appreciate it.

Those of you who can't attend -- we'll be thinking of ways you can contribute to the anniversary! If you can write, perhaps do a story, a poem or an article. If you can draw or do other types of artwork -- some art for the program book, or decorations. This is a hugely talented group, and I know all of you can contribute something terrific! At the very least, you can spread the word to friends. Word of mouth is the VERY best publicity! We've gotten almost 100 surveys back already, with more coming in literally every time I check my e-mail.

My 2¢

I have only been to 1 convention ( Old School Pro Wrestlers ) . It was in Charlotte, NC and I traveled from where I lived at the time Reisterstown, MD ( about 6½ hrs ). Here are some of the things I Liked and Disliked.

:hurray: Likes:
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]VIP All Access Pass Package included early admission to each days' Fan fest activities, first access to each autograph signing session, get 2 items signed instead of one during autograph signings, exclusive admission to their Q&A sessions with wrestlers ( In the QL con's case it could be actors, writters, producers, etc ) , a keepsake commemorative souvenir program. It was $70.00 more for the VIP Pass ($109 ) compared to the Single day pass ($39 ) Plus The Doubletree Hotel ( don't know if there is any near the locations you are looking at as I have never been to LA ) offered a special room rate for those that make reservations by a certain day.

:banghead Dislikes:
The way the autograph table was set up all in on area. I thought it would have been better if the tables were setup up all around the room so that you could go to the people you wanted. Instead of having to wait on the one's you didn't and then felt bad if you didn't get them to sign something but did everyone else in that was in that area. I also wished they did something that they did at the Book Signing I went to at a Barnes & Nobles. We got different color tickets as we arrived so that anyone with that color ticket could go and get their book signed. This help keep people from cutting the line and getting more things signed when some people never got one thing signed. Needless to say I was one of those people. Also this would of helped out on crowd control as you wouldn't have a lot of people in one area at one time. Cause only the people in the blue group would be the ones getting the autographs, then yellow tickets go , then green, etc.

Ok that is my 2
¢ on things I would like for this convention to have and the things I won't.

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the input! This is the kind of thing we need to hear from you guys -- what your experiences have been, what you liked/didn't like, and what you thought worked well vs. what was a nightmare.

We're talking about a VIP or Gold Tier package of some sort but haven't made any decision yet. Either way, everyone at the con would be able to attend all Q&As and would get the souvenir program. Our "special" ticket would include other sorts of plusses.

We have a couple of particular hotels in mind, but haven't investigated a Doubletree yet. I'll check on the location of that chain around L.A. (Mainly, we're looking at the Burbank/North Hollywood area.)

Autograph sessions seem to be a logistics nightmare about 3/4 of the time. But yes, I know what you mean about not wanting to hurt the feelings of someone you don't really want an autograph from. (I'm going to be a "bonus guest" at a con next summer, and I have very clear images of people zipping right past me to get to the actors, LOL.) This is one of the things we'll pay a lot of attention to -- how to ensure everyone gets the autographs they want. (And yes, autographs will be included in the cost of the con ticket -- no $25 or $50 extra per autograph.)

As of this morning we've gotten 107 responses to the survey -- so please keep passing the word around to friends and members of other forums! We'd LOVE to get 250-300 responses. Right now, the responses look generally like this:
Attendance: about half say they'll definitely come; the other half are waiting to see who the guests are.
Format: 3/4 said QL only.
Cost: most people are saying mid-range, $250-$300.
Installment plan: half said yes, half said they'd pay all at once.
Parties: 3/4 said include them in the ticket price.
Con hotel: 3/4 said they'd stay there for sure.
Coming with someone: half are coming solo, half with spouse/BF or GF.