Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #51
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

It never ceases to amaze me just how many QL fans there really are. I tend to think of it as a 'forgotten' show where only the most loyal fans still care, since it is almost 20 years old, but there are many, many fans out there. I only recently discovered two fans on my Dad's side of the family!

I hope your fanfilm helps stir fans into action.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #52
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Yeah, I think it really will. On this last shoot, I had a handful of people confess to me that they loved the show, and wanted to be involved. It was pretty cool!!

Seeing all of this Princess Di coverage this weekend is really bittersweet... it sort of reaffirms this storyline in a way.

Happy Labor Day everyone!!

CHRIS
Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #53
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Default First Draft Done!

Yeah!! Just finished the first draft, and now it's time to rip it apart and re-write! Well, maybe not literally, but its certainly a good starting point. I'm really happy to have included many of the enduring aspects to the TV show... humor, drama, and (some) action.

There is progress...

Chris
Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #54
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Thumbs up I'm still here!

Hi Folks!

I'm so sorry I've been away for so long. We recently wrapped production on my last feature, and haven't stopped since then. I haven't forgotten about you all, I swear!

Our production is still moving ahead as planned, and I am VERY happy to report that QL: A Leap to Di For will be shot exclusively in High Definition! (HD) That is HUGE news for us as we are anticipating production starting in spring of '08!

Re-writes will continue (thanks to all of you who read the first draft) as auditions will probably be held during the winter.

Again, my apologies for being away for so long. Weíre still here!

Thanks!

Chris
Old 11-17-2007, 02:07 AM   #55
Al The Observer
Observer's Aid

That's great to hear! Thanks for the update!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #56
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Great! Thanks for the update.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #57
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Thumbs up

Hi Folks!

Just wanted to pass along the good news that Quantum Leap: A Leap To Di For is now officially underway. Today marks Day 1 as the doors have been opened for the casting process... wish us luck that we find a decent Sam & Al!!

For more information, and how anyone can be a part of this fantastic production, please visit the QL section of our website!

Thanks for your consideration!

Chris Allen
Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #58
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Fantastc new info there! We're looking forward to having you host this event at the convention and hopefully answer questions, etc afterwards!

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #59
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Red face

Hi Brian!

Oh absolutely! I was thinking about all of that today in fact. I was thinking of having my wife run a camera as audience members come out of the show and asking them what they thought of the film...

We did a lot of Cons with Star Trek vs. Batman with Q&A panels, so I would love the chance. In fact, there will be a few actors in this that want to come out and be a part of the QL experience!

Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #60
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Thumbs up

Well, we've got two strong candidates for our 'Sam'!! Ironically, both are LA actors!
Now if we can just find our 'Al'!

I'll continue to post updates as they come in!

Thanks!

CHRIS
Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #61
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

Are you still going to let fans participate with the filming? I'm not too far from Indianapolis, and I should be getting a car of my own soon. *crosses fingers* I'd love to be able to come down while you're filming, and be in the background or something. At the very least, I could be free slave labor.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #62
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Thumbs up

Oh, absolutely! I'm looking at mid to late August to start shooting (have to finish up current film first), and finalize the cast. Right now, I'm not having much luck with actors, but I'm sure our open casting call will bring some folks out.

Slave labor is what indie films are ALL about! J/K!! We'd love to have you!

Thanks a million!!

Chris
Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 AM   #63
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Thumbs up

Well, wish me luck folks! We're staging open auditions for Saturday, March 29th here in Indy! I'll post our results and actors who fit the bill. I've got a strong lead on a Dean-type actor, and about three 'Scotts'.

Now building the handlink... THAT'S a problem! Ughh!

Thanks for your support,

Chris
Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #64
Jaycol
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirok
Well, wish me luck folks! We're staging open auditions for Saturday, March 29th here in Indy! I'll post our results and actors who fit the bill. I've got a strong lead on a Dean-type actor, and about three 'Scotts'.

Now building the handlink... THAT'S a problem! Ughh!

Thanks for your support,

Chris
If you are still having issues with the handlink. If you get a hold of Neuromason he has offered to make handlinks for the convention. might be worth checking into. He recently posted under the topic The return of Quantum leap.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #65
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycol
If you are still having issues with the handlink. If you get a hold of Neuromason he has offered to make handlinks for the convention. might be worth checking into. He recently posted under the topic The return of Quantum leap.
Thanks Jaycol! I didn't even know that. Awesome!

Chris
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #66
feldon30
Forum Technician

Have you already got someone lined up to do the special effects? If not, please keep me in mind.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #67
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

Oh yes we do. I'll be doing them with a combination of practical and CG FX. Were you referring to CG FX?

One area I know we'll need help in is the sound effects. Recreating the sounds of the handlink, imaging chamber door, and the actual "leap" is what I'm most concerned about on the post end. I could lift the sounds from the show, but most of them have music or dialogue alongside them, and it would sound a lot better with a clean effect than from the show.

I also think I've figured out how to recreate the handlink is creating it from a resin mold. But I'll definately check with the guy Jaycol recommended first.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chris
Old 03-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #68
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

If you know anyone who could do that sort of leap effect on the fly for fans at the convention at minimal cost, please let me know!

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #69
Mr Questionmark
Imaging Chamber Technician

If it helps, I have an mp3 sound of the leap effect.
I use it as a txt msg alert tone.

Just rechecked and it sounds 'clean' too.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #70
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

No I meant like if they can take a photo of the convention attendee and then use the actual CG leap effect (combined with the sound effect) to leap the attendee's photo into another (maybe of Sam?), say as an mpeg file or .wmv even and then they could sell the video clip to the attendee for a small fee. Don't know if this can be done quickly, but thought I'd ask if there is any talent out there for that sort of thing!

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #71
feldon30
Forum Technician

Brian, I have thought of that. I know there is digital animation paint software now that you can draw some starting points and it will fill in the lightning for you, but I haven't tried it. I can cut a person out of a background and do the glow effect pretty fast, but the lightning and the filling in with white is tough!

Figuring out how to do the whole thing in under 10 minutes per person will be a challenge. Even so that's 83 hours working nonstop for 500 attendees.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #72
feldon30
Forum Technician

Kirok,

It is possible to get most of the handlink sounds "clean", just have to know which episodes to record from. Alas, my collection of clean handlink sounds was many hard drives ago.

I recently produced a clean recording of the leap sound. It's a mixture of the leap from It's a Wonderful Leap and The Leap Back, as the outtro of Wonderful Leap and the intro of Leap Back were the quietest. I also emphasized the phaser fire shot part of the leap sound (once you know where it is, you can't miss it).

I've posted my 16-bit WAV of the "clean" leap effect here.

I have captured the "leap to black" on Mirror Image from the 5th season DVD and then spent a couple of hours on speck, dust, and hair removal, and then color correcting it. So I have a clean "plate" of the leap spiderweb effect. To use it over a person (instead of black), it probably needs two passes (one with just the white selected set to 100% opacity, one with just the blue glow set to overlay) to do the effect justice. The uncompressed images are rather large (65MB) but I can post them if you need them.

I am curious what digital paint programs people are using these days for animation. Early on, I played with Illuminiere and it was great, but very buggy and crashed a lot. I've only ever done QL effects (I've done the hologram effect, the imaging chamber door, and several leap effects) frame-by-frame in Adobe Photoshop. I only have the result of these effects on VHS now.

When I did my hologram effect (walking through a table), because I have not had any training as an actor, and because even the best actors have difficulty with blue screen, I found that taking a still photo of the set with all furniture in place, and then removing the furniture that Al will be walking through (adding blue tape lines if necessary to outline where the furniture was) and filming the live shot with Sam and Al together like that and then using Photoshop to re-add parts of the furniture as needed was easier in the long run.

We are not limited to a Quantel Paintbox and the time (and budget) crunch of a weekly televised show.

Now, to go off on a tangent, I have really thought that to really match the quality of effects being used these days on TV, I think leap effects should be done in 3D motion. I know this is a LOT more work. I have visualized many times the camera coming around the person as they are leaping in, and the spider web effect has to change in perspective to match the camera movements. The only way to really do this would be a starburst particle effect in 3D Studio Max that tracks the camera movements.

But considering the extra effort involved, I would certainly not look down on someone for doing the 'classic' QL effect that worked just fine for all those the original episodes.

Last edited by feldon30; 08-08-2015 at 09:12 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #73
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Wow - a 3-D leap effect? That would be awesome.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #74
Kirok
Accelerator Technician

That sounds like a VERY cool concept!! Leaping guests!! WAY cool!

Now as to how to do itÖ

Itís quite easy, really.

I use Adobe After Effects for all of my FX work (see attached example), and the leap effect is quiet easy in terms of time and effort. I canít say I can devote all of my time at Leapback for it, but with minimal training, I could show someone to run it. It also crosses with Photoshop easily too as all Adobe products can, which is one reason why I LOVE Adobe!

This is one time travel effect I rendered the other day for my current feature, so the lightening, bluish glow and leap bursts are no problem whatsoever.

I did a preliminary test of it on the QL: A Leap to Di for trailer here.

Feldon: That is a GREAT .wav of the leap!! WOW!!! UhmmmÖ may I please borrow that for this show... with grateful thanks to in the credits?

Now as for the hologram effects, I plan on doing that with green screen as they did on the series. You can sometimes tell those shots by the lighting on Al (or when they green screened Al).

As much as Iíd love to explore the 3-D elements of a leap, Iíve decided to keep true to the series (as I did with my Star Trek vs. Batman series) with 2D composting. Itís what folks know, and to tweak that (just in my opinion) wouldnít work. But I like the idea!

Now if I can figure out how to create some clean handlink sound effects!! Ughh!!

Thank you, Mr. Questionmark! Can we hear what yours sounds like?

Chris

Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #75
Mr Questionmark
Imaging Chamber Technician

Quantum_Leap_Leap_Effect.zip

hopefully this will work, it was originally found via these boards and i converted it to mp3
Attached Files
File Type: zip Quantum_Leap_Leap_Effect.zip (53.8 KB, 101 views)