1117 Eternal Shadows: The Dawning

The Dawning

• 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Eternal Shadows: The Dawning
February 10, 2006

Hope Springs, Virginia

When Sam leaps back into the town of Hope Springs, Virginia, he's unsure of why he's leaped into the present. The only prevalent aspect throughout his numerous leaps is an obsessed computer whiz that has decided to hack a virus program; and sets Sam on a dark path that will affect his present and the project's future.

Written by: M. J. Cogburn

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of five raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.17

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Valery S. Gemini said:
Aw, it's always so difficult to rate a several-parter. Why, for ex. these "mini-leaps" during which nothing changes? I guess we'll know in due time, but still... I pity our poor Sam, who begs between each leap for his return home, and every time GTFW says he's not ready. But since I've been a rater I've learnt to control my nerves and stop biting my nails at every cliffhanger. MJ, ALL your stories have always been top quality, and this new one is no exception.

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
M.J. you outdid yourself. I really like the first part of this trilogy. I especially like the General Hawkins angle, and all the stuff at the project. I am sure we will see General Hawkins again. I just love all the conflict. And having Sam leap into Hope Springs time and time again. Great! Can hardly wait to read the next part. Great job!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
Wow! A lot of multi-parters so far this season, but this storyline with Hawkins is really starting to get interesting now: Project Liberty...this mysterious new computer virus...a return to Hope Springs...and all happening in the present, no less! It was great seeing older versions of characters from Greg's "True Callings" story. Kind of reminded me of the "Trilogy" with Abigail Fuller. I was also rolling on the floor with the seductive dialogue between Sam and Dianne, and Al's reactions. Great stuff!!

These "mini-leaps" must mean something, and I can't wait to read more next week!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
Wonderfully crafted, every scene flowing seamlessly into the next. Great work, MJ.

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Weitzman (a.k.a. Head Nozzle) said:
The General Hawkins storyline just keeps getting more and more interesting. Multi-leaps? A computer virus? Hawkins' project? More and more questions are being raised. I am going to rate this story a 9, not because of all the interesting subplots and flashbacks to people from previous episodes going on in the storyline but because the real strength of MJ's writing really came out in this story. MJ is able to find real life moments with the way people behave and talk with each other and that was evident here. For example, the scenes where Sam is keeping up appearances as Paige's father and dealing with his "wife" seemed realistic, true to life, and at times very funny (Al's reactions to Sam and Dianne - <Cheers anyone?> were hilarious). Taking Paige to see Hawkins? Hopefully, we'll get a look at what is going on in Hope Springs next week.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tom Jarret said:
This is everything you want in an opening sequence. We have the Hawkins arc back in action, which is a story line many of us have wanted to see continued. We have various other subplots going on. And with them comes my only criticism, which is really small. Sam leaps a couple of times with out accomplishing much if anything. (Now, of course, this is nit picky as this is the first part to a three-part story. I, as a reader, do not need to have it explained this early on. I am sure there are reasons that will be played out later. And if this is the case, I will withdraw this criticism. It is so hard to rate these multi-parters.) The best thing about the story itself is its mood. The story has a great atmosphere about it that settles you in to it right away. This story is heavily dependent on things that have happened before so there are many references to earlier episodes going back two or three seasons. So I hope everyone has been paying attention. The whole sense of mystery about what is going on really propels you through the story. Very effective.

Eagerly looking forward to the next part.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
(Originally posted by MikeKraken at: 2/3/05 6:18 am)

Great job, MJ!! It was nice to see the mysterious Hawkins arc return, although now I am more curious than ever.

The only thing that confused me was the fact that Sam leaped into two other people only to accomplish nothing... although I'm guessing that the reason will be revealed in the future.

I liked the flashbacks to episodes from earlier in the season, as well. Oh, and one tiny error: Al told Sam that he was seventeen, when in fact Shepherd was (will be?) eighteen in 2006.

Overall, I rate this a high "4". A very enjoyable read!

... Mike. ^_^

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MikeKraken's Web Site
Star Trek for Leapers forum
Future's Past RPG

(Originally posted by DeadZoneLeaper at: 2/4/05 1:59 am)

What can I say? This story only skims the surface...Next week is gonna start to answer some ppl's questions about everything Hawkins has been doing...If you thought MJ outdid herself here, you havent read everything yet...(I hear that the finale of the arc is really gonna be a doozy...Not even I knows anything about that... )

What? No Things You Might Have Missed List????... :p

QLAVATAR3.jpg

1) Mark Robbins from my QL:TVS story "Touch 'Em All" (based on a picture of me of course)
2) One of my fave shows other than QL: USA Network's Dead Zone
3) One of my fave 80's shows of all time: Greatest American Hero
4) LONG LIVE THE RESISTANCE!!!
5) The Legend Continues - True Callings Trilogy: dedicated to real heroes
--------------
DZL - A child of the 80's

(Originally posted by Dman176 at: 2/4/05 4:15 pm)

Ohhhhhhhh boy... you have NO idea! :evil

I'll just say something right now... even if any of you think you have a pretty good idea of where this whole thing is headed... trust me, you don't know a thing! ;)

Since I'm posting, I might as well also say, great job, MJ. I love the idea of Sam being in the present, but still not really "home." It was nice seeing some returning characters from Greg's 3-parter, and I also loved all of the little in-jokes, like the "Enchantment Under the Sea" dance, and the Archer reference once again. I just realized something though... now that Enterprise has been cancelled, it won't be seen on TV in 2006. Oh well, I guess that's inevitable when you deal with a "present" timeframe that's one year ahead of us. Besides, for all we know, all of Sam's shifting around in time could cause little things to change, like for example, a certain TV show lasting for one more year, or being cancelled. You never know... :p

The flashbacks are also a nice touch. Adds a sense of continuity to the whole thing.

Damon

"Holographic observers! What a brilliant idea!" ? Professor Arturo, "In Dino Veritas"

(Originally posted by QLDamsel at: 2/5/05 11:00 am)

Thanks guys! :)

I just hope that I don't lose some of you when it comes to the nity-grity of this.....

Thanks for all the kind words.

And, Damon is right. You really don't know what's about to happen....

MJ

(Originally posted by DeadZoneLeaper at: 2/5/05 9:51 pm)

hehehe...I got ahead of myself..the name of Hawkins project will be revealed soon...hopefully, someone will get it...

PS..no one commented on MJ's use of monkey butt in the story... ;)

QLAVATAR3.jpg

1) Mark Robbins from my QL:TVS story "Touch 'Em All" (based on a picture of me of course)
--------------

(Originally posted by QLDamsel at: 2/7/05 6:58 pm)

Thanks for noticing that, Greg. :p
MJ

(Originally posted by DeadZoneLeaper at: 2/7/05 8:13 pm)

Your welcome Chief Monkey Butt

QLAVATAR3.jpg

--------------

(Originally posted by leaper1 at: 2/8/05 6:36 am)

just realized something though... now that Enterprise has been cancelled, it won't be seen on TV in 2006.

Ever heard of reruns?

I loved the Archer reference too.
Loved it all - wonderful, just the sort of brilliance we have come to expect from MJ.
Looking forward to part two immensely

Helen

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.
(Leo Buscaglia)

Leap and the net will appear. (Anon)

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.
(Charles Dickens)

(Originally posted by MikeKraken at: 2/9/05 5:47 am)

the name of Hawkins project will be revealed soon

Wasn't it mentioned in this episode? Project Liberty?

no one commented on MJ's use of monkey butt in the story

I noticed it... I realised that was where it alllll started, but figured we shouldn't be turning this into a big MB reunion. :p

... Mike. ^_^

EDIT: just fixing some of the spacing... quote tags are weird.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MikeKraken's Web Site
Star Trek for Leapers forum
Future's Past RPG

Originally edited by: MikeKraken at: 2/9/05 5:48 am

(Originally posted by DeadZoneLeaper at: 2/9/05 1:11 pm)

Yeah it was Mike..but for some reason I thought I was getting ahead of everything...so I edited that post and shouldnt have...

either way, no one seemed to notice the irony of the project's name...

where have we seen that word for Hawkins project name before?...hehe

QLAVATAR3.jpg

--------------

wonderfully written. It has a bunch of mini leaps where nothing is accomplished and Sam doesn't yet know what's going on. This is also the first 4 part story.