Best Reflection

leaper1

PQL Security Staff
Staff member
Sep 1, 2002
Bedford, England
Ok, following the 'best guest performance' thread, here's a tougher one.

Which "Mirror Image" do you like best? - in terms of the reflections Sam sees when he looks in something reflective.

Tough call, because not every episode has one (Blood Moon!) and some are so brief that a blink would miss them.

Personally, I adore Brad Silverman (Jimmy).

In terms of set up, I think the mirror image from What Price Gloria is one of the best, when Sam and Gloria are in Samantha's bedroom whilst he is getting ready for work. The lead guest actress having an identical twin was a real bonus for the episode! It's perfectly timed and seamless.

Samantha had a Twin? That's cool. I always thought her refelction looked a little manish like they had slapped her face on Scott's reflection lol. But she's very pretty in Shock Theater.

Lets see I like DPB as his reflection in A Potriat for Troian. I also love Bobo's reflection and how Sam reacted when he first saw it he was soo adorable. I also love the way they introduce Katie in Raped. How they show her reflection when Sam is sitting in the hostpial bed after the social worker mistook his saying "oh not again" and asked if he had been raped before. I thought that was dramatic and meaningful. I also liked Jesse's reflection and how it's introduced in the episode.

leaper1 said:
Ok, following the 'best guest performance' thread, here's a tougher one.

Which "Mirror Image" do you like best? - in terms of the reflections Sam sees when he looks in something reflective.

Tough call, because not every episode has one (Blood Moon!) and some are so brief that a blink would miss them.

Personally, I adore Brad Silverman (Jimmy).

Oh, they showed it... he just didn't have one because he was a vampire, lol. Watch the last few seconds of the episode and you'll notice Sam looking into a silver platter and seeing no reflection to prove that Al was right the whole time about him being a bloodsucking ghoul from Hell! But he Leaped before getting Al to see it 8)
My favorite was... oh god I don't know. They all were good... Camikazi was funny because he had to have pimples and I would absolutely hate going through that again! Bobo was funny. But I think, I guess, the one that keeps coming to mind is Bingo in "Leap for Lisa."

I guess I don't really remember too many of the mirror shots. The one that sticks with me is the first one from What Price Gloria--the first time Sam sees a woman's face looking back at him. The look of complete shock on her face (in the mirror) and then her eyes looking downward...:eek

But I think, I guess, the one that keeps coming to mind is Bingo in "Leap for Lisa."

It would have been outstanding if they got a guy who really looked like young Dean Stockwell. I mean, there's a good resemblance, but it doesn't jump out at you the way it would if they could have the real thing. But now I'm nitpicking. :)

I think I have a tie between Billie Jean in 8 1/2 Months, and the vet in Nowhere to Run. In both, Sam's look of utter shock is priceless.

HologramIAm said:
Oh, they showed it... he just didn't have one because he was a vampire, lol. Watch the last few seconds of the episode and you'll notice Sam looking into a silver platter and seeing no reflection to prove that Al was right the whole time about him being a bloodsucking ghoul from Hell! But he Leaped before getting Al to see it 8)
My favorite was... oh god I don't know. They all were good... Camikazi was funny because he had to have pimples and I would absolutely hate going through that again! Bobo was funny. But I think, I guess, the one that keeps coming to mind is Bingo in "Leap for Lisa."
You get to see Nigel Corrington leap into the waiting room immediatly following Dr. Ruth's leap out. Which right this second makes me think I wonder if he ever saw Sam's reflection and freaked(well obviously everybody freaks but with him I mean freak in the sense that hes not supposed to have a relfection at all let alone this strange man's). hehe. I just love the Sam and Al humor in Blood Moon.

Speaking of reflections I loved in LHO when he goes:
"You messed with my mind, what else did you mess with!?"
and then he looks down into the table where you can see your relfection and screams at Sam's face(while the camera is aimed at the table showing Sam as the one screaming). That was really cool.

In terms of the actors' movements and timing, I'd have to agree that the most impressive and seamless was in "What Price Gloria?" as well. I also thought "Permanent Wave's" reflection was done nicely as well as the blonde woman who is about to have her hair cut must have also had a twin sister for the continuous shot.

In terms of my actual favorite reflection for the episodes, it actually isn't necessarily one of Sam looking into a mirror, but Lee Harvey Oswald in the Waiting Room in "Lee Harvey Oswald." I find it hysterical when Oswald goes, "You messed with my mind?! WHAT ELSE HAVE YOU MESSED WITH?!? AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" :lol

I think I have a soft spot for Brad Silverman, too, but that could be biased b/c of what a delight he is in person!

Have you met him Jenny?
Although seeing a few clips or rather hearing about them from Kristen I can tell that he really is fun to be around. She told me that there was one clip of him telling Scott that hes the (let me see if I can remember this) Bestest nicest person he'd ever met. Which I think is really sweet. :)

Oh BTW I am talking about Con clips.

I have. I went to LeapCon 96 and met him not only in the autograph line, but also while I was sitting outside by myself having a snack and a coke at a table. He was walking with his security person, waved energetically at me and then walked over gave me a hug and we chatted for a few minutes. Such an absolute sweetheart of a person.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
and then he looks down into the table where you can see your relfection and screams at Sam's face(while the camera is aimed at the table showing Sam as the one screaming).

Oh yeah, of the reflections that show Sam in the mirror, I like the one in Killing Time when Stiles has the hooker at gunpoint, and in the mirror we see Sam holding her. It's just a shock to see Sam Beckett doing that.

Oh I know I feel the same way and its sad because the hooker also sees Sam so she thinks Good, Sweet Sam is about to kill her. Poor Sam. :(

My favorite comic one is Bobo in the Wrong Stuff. My favorite serious ones are Killin' Time, LHO, and 8 1/2 months.

There's also something to be said for Double Identity when Sam is acting so pleased to look like Frankie (when really Scott is much better looking!)

cookiemom6067 said:
There's also something to be said for Double Identity when Sam is acting so pleased to look like Frankie (when really Scott is much better looking!)

lol yeah totally agree. Hence my nickname for him Scotty Hotty. :)
I think he was really excited that Teresa called him/Frankie terrific and so he sort of congraduated himself/Frankie hehe. Maybe it was a mind merge thing and he didn't realize it.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
lol yeah totally agree. Hence my nickname for him Scotty Hotty. :)
I think he was really excited that Teresa called him/Frankie terrific and so he sort of congraduated himself/Frankie hehe. Maybe it was a mind merge thing and he didn't realize it.

So, in a nutshell, I take it you like every single reflection in the series, Cyd? ;)

Snish said:
Oh yeah, of the reflections that show Sam in the mirror, I like the one in Killing Time when Stiles has the hooker at gunpoint, and in the mirror we see Sam holding her. It's just a shock to see Sam Beckett doing that.
I have to concur with this one.

I agree that the "applying lipstick" reflection in What Price Gloria was the best.

The reflection that always makes me laugh is in "Revenge of the Evil Leaper", when Sam and Alia (as Liz and Angel) are in Zoe's (Myers') office and it shows a shot of all 3 of them in the mirror. It's not that spectacular a shot but it makes me laugh seeing Sam's manly voice coming out of Liz and Zoey's female voice coming out of Myers.

Speaking of Revenge I am not a fan of Zoey as a Leaper but I do find it funny when she's looking at Myer's relefection in a room by herself and she's admiring his bare chest underneath the shirt she's wearing. Haha.

I agree, they're all fun to see, but of those that haven't been mentioned, I especially enjoyed Darlene in "Miss Deep South." There's also the Polaroid of "Butchie" in the monkey cage ("Runaway"). The look of terror on his face is priceless, especially since Sam didn't look particularly scared, only uncomfortable.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Speaking of Revenge I am not a fan of Zoey as a Leaper but I do find it funny when she's looking at Myer's relefection in a room by herself and she's admiring his bare chest underneath the shirt she's wearing. Haha.

Just GROSS! :lol OK OK I'd do the same thing if I was Samantha or Darlene. He should have Leaped into Tina, too :dreaming Yeppers!

HologramIAm said:
Just GROSS! :lol OK OK I'd do the same thing if I was Samantha or Darlene. He should have Leaped into Tina, too :dreaming Yeppers!

I wonder if Sam ever did the same thing when he leapt into Samantha or Darlene...

We all know Al would have if he had gotten the chance hahaha