A few questions before i post

Aurora Illusions

Project QL Intern
Jun 25, 2008
Canada
Well i have a few questions before i post some of my fanfics.

#1) How old would Al's daughters be right now? (this is bugging me SO MUCH)
#2) Are there rules about the content of our stories? For instance if I wanted to Add new staff members to PQL, Kill someone off, change Al's kids names, introduce something new about a character (something like..Sam's allergic to..I don't know, peanuts or something.) or something that has been said/implied in TVS but not on TV?
#3) Me and my friend want to make our own sort of 'Virtual Seasons' and post some of the stories here for advise/critic, first of all are we allowed? Second, if we did would we have to keep each story on its own thread/same thread or what?

I think thats all for now.

-Monica

Aurora Illusions said:
#1) How old would Al's daughters be right now? (this is bugging me SO MUCH)
#2) Are there rules about the content of our stories? For instance if I wanted to Add new staff members to PQL, Kill someone off, change Al's kids names, introduce something new about a character (something like..Sam's allergic to..I don't know, peanuts or something.) or something that has been said/implied in TVS but not on TV?
#3) Me and my friend want to make our own sort of 'Virtual Seasons' and post some of the stories here for advise/critic, first of all are we allowed? Second, if we did would we have to keep each story on its own thread/same thread or what?

I'm not sure of all of these, but here are my opinions:

1) I would guess that Al and Beth started making babies pretty quickly after he came home from Nam--which was in '73 or '75, depending on your attitude about The Leap Home: Vietnam. '75 was 33 years ago now, so that's about the oldest one of his daughters could be. Take Beth's age into account, and make up your own ages from there.

2) I don't know of any rules about content, other than what's given in the series. You can use any names for Al's daughters that you want, because none were given. I think you're pretty free to make up other things too.

3) I know some people post their stories at Fanfic.net or other places, and just post links here. If there's some rule about posting stories here, or length of posts, I haven't heard.

Aurora: as far as fan fic writing is concerned, there aren't really any "rules." You can stay close to canon (stuff we saw on TV), or create your own AU world. It's writer's courtesy, though, to get permission to use characters another fan fic writer has created. For example, if you wanted to use a character introduced in TVS, you should ask the producer whether that's okay (and credit TVS if you publish the story somewhere). Other than that, if you're writing outside the TVS universe, you can do whatever you want to with and to the characters.

I agree with Snish, fanfiction.net is a good archive for posting your stories, with a link here to take you there. In general, there's no limit on story length, and you can rate the stories depending on content. If you write a series of stories, a person could click on your user name and get a list. You might actually get some feedback on your writing (some fandoms are more active than others).

Wherever and whatever you decide to post, I look forward to reading your stuff.