mind and Al would appear and answer it. I know that
their brain waves are linked somehow right? Is that
why Al can hear what Sam's thinking.
My other question is can Sam know what Al is
thinking sometimes. It's kind of weird when Al some-
times appears just right at the right moment when
he is needed. Thanks :cheers

Drink one for me :cheers

I have always just thought of it as the fact that they know each other so well that each can tell what the other is thinking.
As far as Al showing up at the time when he is needed most, Ziggy is constantly monitoring. She tells Al if Sam is in trouble or needs him

Reading Sam's Mind

That's a good question! At first, their brainwaves were always connected but I think it was supposed to be on a special frequency that couldn't tap into each others' thoughts. Then of course in "The Leap Back," their minds had merged. From then on, Sam and Al had pieces of each others' minds, only not necessarily memories, but personalities and instincts.

During the course of Sam's leaping, however, bits and pieces of other leapees' memories kind of wiped out what remained of Al's, I think. Or, at least we never saw their minds merge again. I think the only reference to that was in an episode where Al said, "Is that part of me still in you?" So, I think that for a very brief time they could read each other's minds ("The Leap Back"), but as Tom said, they knew each other well enough as friends to know how the other thought.