Sam's mom, Thelma Beckett?

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
what ever happened to her. cause we know John Beckett died of a cardio vascular(sp?) problem, and Katie Beckett runs off with Chuck and is never heard from agian, and Tom Beckett is killed in Vietnam. so what about Thelma Beckett. becasue when Sam first lays eyes on her in The Leap Home he seemed soooooo happy to see her like it has been years since they had spoken a word. did she die too somehow or end up alone? my guess would be that she died of old age or something natural.

I don't remember which episode it was mentioned, but I think that Thelma ended up living with Katie and her 2nd husband, Jim Bonnick, in Hawaii.

The Virtual Seasons have addressed this a few times, if I remember correctly. Some of the more recent stories this past year have also re-addressed her health and age. I'm not going to say more than that so as not to spoil it for TVS readers.

oh, so something did eventually eaither save katie from chuck or stopped her from seeing him altogether. i bet my best friend and i were right, that tom living eaither gave her the confidence to turn away chuck or she went with him anyway but tom was there to save her.

as for thelma, at least one member of the beckett family ended up happy. but what happned to her in the orignal history when katie ran off with chuck and was never agian heard from?

oh, so something did eventually eaither save katie from chuck or stopped her from seeing him altogether.
I believe it's in Genesis that Sam says something about his mother living in Hawaii with Katie and her husband, Jim. It's in the episode Camikazi Kid (also first season) that he remembers that Katie had been in a bad marriage to her first husband. You can also infer, from what he said, that he didn't know about Chuck's drinking and abusivene behavior until after the fact.

I honestly don't really remember Katie being mentioned again in the 4th and 5th seasons. Of course, I may well be wrong in that regard since it's been a while since I've seen them.

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in Genesis right after he wakes up and is racking his brain for what little he can remember....I could be wrong though.

Yeah, Katie and Jim are mentioned in Genesis when he first wakes up and has all those thoughts running through his head.

BTW, has any QL fanfic writer ever expounded on the fact that Jim Bonnick just happens to be the name of Thomas Magnum's friend and just happens to live in Hawaii? I'd started a Magnum PI crossover once to make that connection between Magnum's Jim and Katie's Jim (aka make them one and the same), but I didn't get too far... Hmmm... maybe I should work on that one a bit more.

Joy

Your right Newleaper. He wakes... thinks about milking the cows... then starts thinking about the farm... his family... etc. But that's when it happens. It's in Genesis Part II - right at the very beginning... right after they tried to leap him back.

Good memory. :)

Edit:
SBF - Just know that although it's somewhat mentioned in Q.L. in Genesis... a LOT of this is addressed in TVS. TVS is only based on the Quantum Leap canon (the stuff that Donald Bellasario) talks about / mentioned on the show). All TVS has done has been based on that... or evolved from that.

haha! I do remember specifics from episodes well! I watch two episodes a night to help me get to sleep, and since I only have the DVD's I've seen them all SEVERAL times. Not that I mind one bit, of course! You still catch things the 3rd and 4th time around....espcecially facial expressions from Al.....everytime I watch an episode, I understand something I didn't before about Al's thoughts in that episode.....or maybe I just think about these things too much ;)

If it's right after he gets up, isn't that in part 1?

yeah i have watched nothing BUT Quantum Leap for the past few weeks, hehe, seriously, ever since i first got my season three set and have borrowed my best friend's seasons one and two, that is seriously all i watch, infact i am watching Catch A Falling Star as i type this, hehe. so i remember a lot of specifics myself, more so than my best friend sometimes, and she has known it at least slightly longer than i, hehe. so i am quote the expert myself, it's just the little details. i can't wait till decemeber when i can finish seeing the whole series.

Yes there are sooo many little nuances in Dean and Scott's performances that you pick up on on the rewatch.