Good first episode?

samwise_zaelit

Project QL Intern
Feb 1, 2006
So, living in a college apartment, I have learned that several of my roommates and neighbors have never seen QL. Besides obviously starting with Genesis, what are some other good episodes that I could show these people to get them hooked and create new QL-addicted friends. Keep in mind that we are all college students, between 19 and 26. The other night a friend requested that we watch Miss Deep South, as that was the one he remembered. Todd, who had never even heard of QL, got quite the kick out of Sam in the talent costume, and also the evening gown at the end of the episode. He then went home and sent me a bunch of questions regarding other episodes, so I think I may have created at least one new groupie;). Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated. I do have most of Season 5 on tape, even though it isn't available on DVD yet.

Oh wow....well, obviously if you want to pull at the heartstrings, the three-punch of MIA, The Leap Home, and The Leap Home: Vietnam. (Just don't use the Universal Region 1 DVDs for any of these)

well the ine i saw for my my first QL exposer was Double Idenity, i may have been major confused and had no idea what was happening but i loved it just the same. ;)

I agree with Jennie for pulling the heartstrings.

For emotional value: Black and White on Fire, Color of Truth
For comedic value: Definitely honor ur friends request for Miss Deep South, What Price Gloria? (the final scene where Sam teaches that lesson in sexual harassment is HILARIOUS), Leaping in Without a Net, 8 1/2 Months

Seriously, any of them are great to start off with, but these would be my choices.

Samantha Beckett

Miss Deep South was my very first episode (that I really remember; I think I actually saw Jimmy on its first run, but I'm not entirely sure--I was young then). And a very great episode it is.

Joy

Last edited:
Double Identity because its the first ep where Sam sings, the DEFINITELY, probably 2nd or third on the list of eps to see is Catch a Falling Star! Got to get some La Manch going up in there, lol.

Samantha Beckett

Star-Crossed
What Price Gloria?
Catch A Falling Star
Good Night, Dear Heart
Future Boy
One Strobe over the Line

I wouldn't start with anything to heavy (M.I.A. , The Leap Home, Black on White on Fire) and i'm personally not very fond of Double Identity.

P.S. Only episodes from the first 3 seasons, because i saw the last 2 seasons over 10 years ago (and don't remember it in detail).

So far we have watched Miss Deep South, and then The Leap Home, Vietnam. Normally I wouldn't have made anybody watch this one before they understoond more about the relationship between Sam and Al, but I needed some cheering up last night, so my friend came down and told me to pick any QL episode and he'd watch it with me. He loved it! Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the next one we'll watch will be Don Quixote, since I am currently living with 4 English majors and we are all in love with Man of La Mancha anyway.

Besides the good ones already mentioned here on the board, I would also recommend "A Single Drop of Rain", where Sam has to help save the leapee's brother's marriage and to help make it rain for the leapee's hometown. It's one of my favorites from the fourth season.

Also, "Shock Theater" and "The Leap Back" are good as well. "Shock Theater" shows the acting range that Scott has and you feel the anguish that Al has in trying to help Sam accomplish the mission. "The Leap Back" also ahows the results of the previous leap.

I hope that this helps.

:) Donna

"Even heroes are human."
-Sam- Trilogy: Part II: For Your Love

"You can't let one bad moment spoil a bunch of good ones."
-Dale Earnhardt

"Mere physical beauty isn't everything."
-Wallace Wooley - I Married a Witch

Bobo

I'm 19, but I did see a few when i was younger with my Mum. The one that I remembered clearly was the one where he leaps into the chimp. I got tingles when it was on ITV3 a few weeks ago!

Some good eps to start with would be; 'The Color of Truth', 'The Leap Home', and 'Miss Deep South'. All these are classics and the Color of Truth is the first episode I watched when I was younger and helped ease me into it (I used to think that Sam time travelled in the plane Al walks through in the opening credits!! - Ah, the ignorance...), and it is also very touching in how it deals with racism in southern america - a very relevant topic and it also shows how the writers deal with this situation.

Enjoy turning your friend to the QL Fandom!! :)

that's how i introduced my friends too in the dorm. cool. but, watch each and every single one of them. love the show and it inspires me each time i see it...just like cyndi lauper!

I think a good intro episode for newbies is "Honeymoon Express", the first episode of Season 2, and not just because it's a pretty good episode.

The introductory scene where Al explains Project QL to the Senate committe communicates the show's premise quite nicely, and having Sam in a quick leaping situation (rescuing a cat from a tree) before the major story is a nice demonstration of such.

Also, Sam's personality and convictions come through strongly (avoiding sleeping with his leapee's wife, even though it's a honeymoon), as does Scott and Dean's great chemistry in their characters.

The twist at the end of the Senate hearing is also a great exclaimation point, though it might lead the newbie to believe that there are more such sci-fi-orientated twists in the series than there really are (at least, not until later storylines like "The Leap Back" and the Evil Leaper scenario).

-- Mike

I agree with Mike. Honeymoon Express is the first episode I saw, and it explained everything very well. I had no problem following the series after seeing that episode.

I think Jimmy would be a good first episode to get them addicted with.

Just make sure they already get the gist of what the show is about though.