Article about "Running For Honor"

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Hi all,

Got an email awhile back from someone over at AfterElton.com and he asked for info on the episode "Running for Honor."

I write for AfterElton.com (which is owned by MTV and is one of the largest gay websites in existence). I'm doing a little piece on QUANTUM LEAP and how the show frequently dealt with gay themes issues, and I'm trying to find out if there was ever any controversy in the fan community or greater public by any of the times they did so.

Any information would be greatly appreciated -- including any specific episodes I should be aware of.

Thanks!

Brent Hartinger
AfterElton.com

I gave him the skinny on the controversy of that episode and he wrote an article on it. This is a gay website, so you can choose to go or not but it's a good article!

http://www.afterelton.com/askmonkey/08-23-2010?page=0,1

a bit of topic now i never understood in that ep when sam lept in to this athlete who was gay if he got his emmotions and he started to not like women or he was pretending so he wouldnt couse problems to this guy sexual choices like in the scene where he had to kiss his gf but he stepped back.while in other eps when a beautiful woman is all over him well he doesnt say no ...

a bit of topic now i never understood in that ep when sam lept in to this athlete who was gay if he got his emmotions and he started to not like women or he was pretending so he wouldnt couse problems to this guy sexual choices like in the scene where he had to kiss his gf but he stepped back.while in other eps when a beautiful woman is all over him well he doesnt say no ...

I think this is one of the first instances of mind-merging that we see... It's explored in much greater detail in Series 5 (e.g. Lee Harvey Oswald, Dr Ruth, Return/Revenge).

I don't believe there's an instance of Sam's mind merging with Tommy York's. I just watched this episode this morning and, in the scene you reference with the girlfriend, I see Sam being Sam the same as he always is. As he states to Al afterwards, "She's all of 17." That would make her less than half Sam's age at that point. I don't believe his actions had anything to do with disliking women but everything to do with not wanting to "rob the cradle".