Movie Tips

jassian

Hopeful Maker of Art out of Daydream Dust
Oct 15, 2008
Germany
I haven't seen a topic like this yet, and as many of us seem to share similar tastes in movies and TV, I thought it may be a good idea to have a place to share movie tips.:D

Please be mindful to avoid spoilers. What seems obvious to you may spoil the experience for someone else.:p

I'll make as start with

Deja Vu
(can't say too much about why, without spoiling anything)

Amelie
We all seem to likes stories about 'Do-gooders', and it's amazing movie making. Warning: there are more sexual topics (in a funny way) than some audiences may be used to.

summary of what has been suggested

1) "Spider" (2002), written by Patrick McGrath (based on his novel) and directed by David Cronenberg. Rated R.

Most people, when they see the title, think that this film's about a giant tarantula or something, when it's actually about a very complex Freudian character. It may look like a simple story, but study the character (and each scene), and try to psychoanalyze him the best you can so you can understand it fully.

2) "Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer" (2006), screenplay by Andrew Birkin, Bernd Eichinger and Tom Tykwer (based on the novel by Patrick Süskind) and directed by Tom Tykwer. Rated R.

It's kinda artsy, and many people think that this is based on real life events, but that's not true. This is pure fantasy, so go with an open mind. In the end, it's more like a thriller/dark comedy, and it also has some romance elements (but they're the sad/destroyed kind). Great acting from Dustin Hoffman.

3) "El Laberinto Del Fauno" (2006), written and directed by Guillermo del Toro. Rated R.

I think many of you have already seen this one, but it's still highly recommended. It's very dark fantasy, though, and it has some very explicit violent scenes/moments.

4) "No Country For Old Men" (2007), screenplay and directed by The Coen Brothers (based on the book by Cormac McCarthy). Rated R.

Again, it looks like a simple story, but you got to dig deeper. This is one of those films where you find more things if you watch them over and over and over. It may look like a western or like a crime, but it's best if you don't try to label it. It's pure Human Drama. Morality, Evil, Innocence, etc.

5) "One Hour Photo" (2002), written and directed by Mark Romanek. Rated R.

Robin Williams is unbeatable, especially when he plays bad guys.

6) "Bang Bang You're Dead" (2002), written by William Mastrosimone (also play) and directed by Guy Ferland. Rated R (but it's TV, so it's almost for everyone; no language, nothing over the top, but its subject matter is enough).

Probably a movie everyone should see, especially every teenager in school (and not only from America).

7) "Summer Of '42" (1971), written by Herman Raucher and directed by Robert Mulligan. Rated R.

If you're more into Romance, watch this classic! Warning, it deals with sexuality in teenagers.

8 "The Pursuit Of Happiness" (2006), written by Steve Conrad and directed by Gabriele Muccino. Rated PG-13.

Will Smith proves his versatility in this dramatic movie. There's even a nod to his old "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" character. Go find out which one it is.

9) "What Dreams May Come" (1998 ), screenplay by Ronald Bass (based on the novel by Richard Matheson, an old Twilight Zone screenwriter) and directed by Vincent Ward. Rated PG-13.

Pure Fantasy. You have to be very open-minded.

10) "Creepshow" (1982), written by Stephen King and directed by George A. Romero. Rated R.

All you have to know is that it's all like a comic book. It's based on the EC comics from the 50's, and it's all masterfully done. Acting, camera angles, camera work, characters, stories (they're 5 different stories, by the way), lines, lightning, everything resembles one of those comic horror magazines from the 50's. Black comedy and horror are the main elements, but mostly black comedy and fantasy. You kinda have to have a twisted sense of humor to enjoy it even more. It's gross at times, and it contains foul language, but it's no problem. One thing you have to know about the EC comics from the 50's is that their stories were always morality-driven.

11) "The Langoliers" (1995), teleplay and directed by Tom Holland (based on the short novel by Stephen King). Rated PG-13.

Dean Stockwell is in it, and it deals with time travel (with a Stephen King twist). Acting varies, and the special effects are bad, but don't pay attention to that. The story is worth the whole adventure.

12) "Needful Things" (1993), screenplay by W. D. Richter (based on the book by Stephen King) and directed by Fraser C. Heston. Rated R.

Kingdom Hospital

Nightmares & Dreamscapes

Escape from New York

Porky's

The Warriors

Last edited:
Uh, lots of ideas, but I'll try to be brief. Here it goes...

1) "Spider" (2002), written by Patrick McGrath (based on his novel) and directed by David Cronenberg. Rated R.

Most people, when they see the title, think that this film's about a giant tarantula or something, when it's actually about a very complex Freudian character. It may look like a simple story, but study the character (and each scene), and try to psychoanalyze him the best you can so you can understand it fully.

2) "Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer" (2006), screenplay by Andrew Birkin, Bernd Eichinger and Tom Tykwer (based on the novel by Patrick Süskind) and directed by Tom Tykwer. Rated R.

It's kinda artsy, and many people think that this is based on real life events, but that's not true. This is pure fantasy, so go with an open mind. In the end, it's more like a thriller/dark comedy, and it also has some romance elements (but they're the sad/destroyed kind). Great acting from Dustin Hoffman.

3) "El Laberinto Del Fauno" (2006), written and directed by Guillermo del Toro. Rated R.

I think many of you have already seen this one, but it's still highly recommended. It's very dark fantasy, though, and it has some very explicit violent scenes/moments.

4) "No Country For Old Men" (2007), screenplay and directed by The Coen Brothers (based on the book by Cormac McCarthy). Rated R.

Again, it looks like a simple story, but you got to dig deeper. This is one of those films where you find more things if you watch them over and over and over. It may look like a western or like a crime, but it's best if you don't try to label it. It's pure Human Drama. Morality, Evil, Innocence, etc.

5) "One Hour Photo" (2002), written and directed by Mark Romanek. Rated R.

Robin Williams is unbeatable, especially when he plays bad guys.

6) "Bang Bang You're Dead" (2002), written by William Mastrosimone (also play) and directed by Guy Ferland. Rated R (but it's TV, so it's almost for everyone; no language, nothing over the top, but its subject matter is enough).

Probably a movie everyone should see, especially every teenager in school (and not only from America).

7) "Summer Of '42" (1971), written by Herman Raucher and directed by Robert Mulligan. Rated R.

If you're more into Romance, watch this classic! Warning, it deals with sexuality in teenagers.

8) "The Pursuit Of Happyness" (2006), written by Steve Conrad and directed by Gabriele Muccino. Rated PG-13.

Will Smith proves his versatility in this dramatic movie. There's even a nod to his old "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" character. Go find out which one it is.

9) "What Dreams May Come" (1998), screenplay by Ronald Bass (based on the novel by Richard Matheson, an old Twilight Zone screenwriter) and directed by Vincent Ward. Rated PG-13.

Pure Fantasy. You have to be very open-minded.

10) "Creepshow" (1982), written by Stephen King and directed by George A. Romero. Rated R.

All you have to know is that it's all like a comic book. It's based on the EC comics from the 50's, and it's all masterfully done. Acting, camera angles, camera work, characters, stories (they're 5 different stories, by the way), lines, lightning, everything resembles one of those comic horror magazines from the 50's. Black comedy and horror are the main elements, but mostly black comedy and fantasy. You kinda have to have a twisted sense of humor to enjoy it even more. It's gross at times, and it contains foul language, but it's no problem. One thing you have to know about the EC comics from the 50's is that their stories were always morality-driven.

11) "The Langoliers" (1995), teleplay and directed by Tom Holland (based on the short novel by Stephen King). Rated PG-13.

Dean Stockwell is in it, and it deals with time travel (with a Stephen King twist). Acting varies, and the special effects are bad, but don't pay attention to that. The story is worth the whole adventure.

12) "Needful Things" (1993), screenplay by W. D. Richter (based on the book by Stephen King) and directed by Fraser C. Heston. Rated R.

A lot of Black Comedy, Horror, but it's more a sociological drama. W. M. Sheppard, Gooshie from "Mirror Image", makes an appearance there, but the best character is Max Von Sydow's. You've seen the Devil in Quantum leap, now see Stephen King's version of it.

And 2 many more. "Kingdom Hospital" and "Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From The Stories Of Stephen King".

I know you said movies, but I had to include these shows there. Well, they're more like maxi-series. Kingdom... is a 13-episode show based on a series named "Riget" (The Kingdom). If you love heroic stories, don't miss this one. It's black comedy, horror, fantasy, some suspense moments, but mostly drama and dark comedy. It's weird, and sometimes you'll think that something doesn't make any sense, but keep watching, don't miss any detail (even minor ones; if you have to get up from your chair to do something else, pause it) and everything will begin to "click" sooner than you think. Episodes written by Stephen King, Richard Dooling and directed by Craig R. Baxley.

Nightmares... is an 8-episode maxi-series, each episode a different story, like an anthology, but each based on a short story by Stephen King (screenwriters and directors vary; one of the directors is Rob Bowman, who directed "Justice", a Quantum Leap episode - he gets to direct 2 different episodes in this show).

Well, that's it for now. Looks like I couldn't keep up with my promise of being brief, after all. Hope you all enjoy the movies, though.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure what you mean by movie tips :)

I do like escape from new york - the film.

Is this the sort of movie tips you mean jassian?

Sorry to ask :)

I didn't know what to make of this, either, that's why I listed the ones I love, but not all of them, or I wouldn't have ever finished. But looks like killing this thread was the only thing I could accomplish. :hmm

Ah ok, yes please, movies that you really like and that you think people on this forum may like as well :)
So if someone is thinking about what movie to rent they can come to this list an try one of these :)

Might be a good idea to confine it to just a few, you're right Night Terror. Makes for better overview as well.
Maybe when we have a fair few I could compile a file or so. :)

Actually it is interesting you put up a post like this jassian.

I tried putting up a post like this, but shot myself in the foot when I said a comment not very clearly!

It would be interesting to see what movies people like, but also why.

Is it the way people act that people like?

Hope I make sense here everyone :)

My favourite movies are:

- Escape from new york
- Porky's
- The Warriors

I just love the fact that Kurt russell's character in Escape from new york is a 2 in one type. He is good and bad. A hero with a twist.

The Warriors is based off a greek myth. Which I find interesting.

Porky's, well what can I say? I guess this is the cheekiness coming out in me!

:)

Actually it is interesting you put up a post like this jassian.

I tried putting up a post like this, but shot myself in the foot when I said a comment not very clearly!

It would be interesting to see what movies people like, but also why.

Is it the way people act that people like?

Hope I make sense here everyone :)

My favourite movies are:

- Escape from new york
- Porky's
- The Warriors

I just love the fact that Kurt russell's character in Escape from new york is a 2 in one type. He is good and bad. A hero with a twist.

The Warriors is based off a greek myth. Which I find interesting.

Porky's, well what can I say? I guess this is the cheekiness coming out in me!

Well, I suggested the ones I did because I love everything that has to do with fantasy, thriller, black comedy, sometimes Evil winning, complex characters, etc., but I also love heroic, dramatic, romantic stories. It should be noted, though, that all the films I listed are psychological, not just drama or horror for the sake of it. Psychology is one of my favorite interests, that's why I chose those movies, especially "Spider". And, in the case of "Bang Bang You're Dead", it deals with real-life issues (the ending is great, in my opinion).

I thought about suggesting "Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma" (Salò or The 120 Days Of Sodom) and then thought again. It's one of those rare movies that doesn't have any intention of entertaining you or glorifying its disturbing content for your viewing pleasure, but instead it makes you angry and makes you wonder everything about the Human Race and the Human Nature. I came to realize that it's not a movie for everybody. You really have to be at least very familiar with the Marquis de Sade philosophy (it's based on his book), or you'll simply be traumatized for life, and for the wrong judgements (I love philosophy, too). This is not a movie you can get from your local bluckbuster, though, so there was no point in suggesting it, I guess.

Salò or The 120 Days Of Sodom

I have not heard of this film. May I ask what it's about?

The movies I picked are because they capture something.

What I like about them is deeper than the reasons I explained in my previous post.

The closest way I can define my feelings about these films is that they capture a feeling deep inside of me.

These films either remind me of the past, history, or even what makes people interesting.

I guess that is what draws me to acting also.

Sorry if I am not making sense here.

No deep meanings here but I do love to laugh so here are a few of my suggestions with more to come as I think of them. Fanboys- this is a must for everyone who loves star wars. It is pretty much a tribute to it. A group of friends who are obsessed with Star Wars plan a road trip to crash George Lucas's home in order to obtain a script for Episode 1. It takes place about 6 months before the said episode debuts in theaters. The reason for this trip is one of the guys in the group has got cancer and his friends wanted him to see it before he passes away. thus the reason behind the road trip. Of course hilarity ensues. there are also a ton of cameos from famous actors in it. Definatly a good movie. Secondly is Old School again hilarious an istant classic. Who can forget Will Ferrell streaking through town and also his death defying leap through the hoop of fire. Just awesome.

Salò or The 120 Days Of Sodom

I have not heard of this film. May I ask what it's about?

Oh, man, I hope I don't get kicked out of this board. Seriously, this might be the most disturbing movie ever made. Some say it didn't have to be made, and they're probably right, but it did, and once you see it you'll never be able to forget it. It's kinda hard to find, and that's probably a good thing for a lot of people.

Basically, what I can tell you is that it's an Italian film that came out in 1975 and it was directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini, based on the book by The Marquis de Sade. That name alone (The Marquis de Sade) should tell you a great deal about what you're going to see in this film. The term "sadism" was derived from him, for what he wrote, etc. He was very controversial in his time (XVIII Century, France), and still is, mostly because of the topics he dared to touch (taboo topics that remain the same way to our day). This movie is full of horrible/infamous scenes, so horrible you can't even imagine, and even when there aren't one of those scenes playing, there's a general bad feel to it that will never make you settle down, and that's exactly the intention.

But sadism is not the only thing this movie's about, it also deals with nihilism, atheism, the philosophy of Evil, Corrupted Nature, and the most important thing, it's about how Absolute Power can be very dangerous (Political Corruption, perversions, etc.). All of this seen through the eyes of 4 fascist libertines during the WWII. It's been labeled an "erotic horror" film by many people, but they couldn't be more wrong. Even when many horrible sexual perversions are depicted, this is not intended to be erotic. Erotism and Horror glorify their contents for the audience's viewing pleasure. Salò is not like that, instead it shows you the violence and the horrible acts as they really are (not pretty, not entertaining or very easy to get over with; not like Hollywood often depicts it).

Instead of horror or erotism, this is a dramatic and satirical art film and, like I said before, its intention is frustrating you, making you angry, but mostly making you think (and A LOT) about Humanity, and not only about its dark side, but about what we all really are, our own Nature, etc. It's not intended to be liked. So, if you ever get to watch it, please be very careful, it's a movie that you'll never be able to get out of your mind, and it would be better if you got acquaintanced with the Marquis' works and his philosophy first. You have to be very open-minded, too (as I'm sure you all are), so, when you watch it, don't judge it too quickly, judge the whole context, not only certain parts or certain scenes, because it won't work that way, and, like I said, if you do, you'll be traumatized for the wrong reasons. It should be noted that this film is straight for adults, for mature people who have formed their own ideas and their own criteria. This is a polemic/controversial movie, so, if any kid is reading this, please keep your distance from these topics. This deals with many sexual topics, and not in a "funny way," like jassie said about one of her suggestions.

I'm still hiding some things about the plot itself, Ang, but I'm afraid that, if I post them here, I could get kicked out, and I really don't want that, so I guess I'll have to leave it there. I'm sorry my post had to be a bit long and that I had to explain some things, but this is a very dangerous film, and there's no real way of summarizing it in only a couple of lines or so, mainly because of its subject matter.

No no I am not asking for details here.

Don't get me wrong.

Sorry if I gave the wrong message here.

No, I'm not telling you that you were asking for details or something, but I hope you can understand why I summarized it the way I did, though. If I had only had to resume it to a couple of lines, I should've had to give away even more unpleasant "details" in no time, and the people who read these threads may've gotten the wrong impression and a bad taste in their mouths, and that was not my intention, that's why I explained many of the things behind it. It's not a movie to be fooling around with, not "popcorn entertainment" or mainstream. You asked me what it was about, and that's exactly what I told you, even when I had second thoughts about doing so, but hey, I guess next time I'll just suggest you to look it up on imdb.com (if there is a next time, of course).

Yeah I do understand - and I did ask what the film is about.

Thanks for putting it the way you did.

You put it quite well actually.

Had I known a little better I would not have asked and put you in a position where you could get kicked out.

Thats my point here.

Had I known a little better I would not have asked and put you in a position where you could get kicked out.

Thats my point here.

Had I known better, I wouldn't even had mentioned the film. After all, I forgot where I was. :rolleyes ;)

Actually, in one of your earlier posts in this thread, you said "evil winning".

Thats real interesting, because me, being a movie and tv lover, loves seeing things different being done in movie and tv, things that are done to break the mould so to speak.

I'm not sure if evil winning fits into what I just said, but for me it does, and I kinda like that.

If that makes sense?

Made a summary in my first post, did I forget anything?
I only picked the movies and didn't include 120 days as it's not for everyone.

Made a summary in my first post, did I forget anything?
I only picked the movies and didn't include 120 days as it's not for everyone.

Oh, no, it's a nice summary, and it's a good thing you didn't include 120 days, as I only happened to mention it, but it was not intended to be a recommendation. Mentioning it was probably a bad idea, but it's a film that's been on my mind for a long time, and I had to get it out of my system somehow. I just had to let other people know that I know it, that's all, so, sorry for any trouble or confusion I may've caused. It's a movie that is very hard to find, though, so I think that's for the best. That said, I really, really hope more people participate on this thread. Jassie, Ang and I can't be the only ones who like movies.

I think it may be better now that we have a summary, it's always hard to follow long threads, at least for me sometimes. Interesting though.

it's always hard to follow long threads, at least for me sometimes

Oh, I know what you mean. That happens to me, too. Sometimes there are threads that seem to interest me because I saw their titles, but then I have to skip them simply because I'm kinda lazy when it comes to reading long conversations. I keep saying to myself that I will read the entire thing later, but that never happens.

Can I say something completely silly here?

Movies are my life!

If that makes sense!

Why would that be silly, Ang? Come on! Hehehe! But yeah, I noticed that movies are your life since you made a response to me for the first time. I may be confused here, but I think you said once that you wanted to be a filmmaker. When I was in high-school, I wanted to be a filmmaker, too. I even wrote some screenplays. Now I re-read them and I must admit that they're kinda bad, but well, it figures, after all that's how the mental process works. With the time I came to realize that filmmaking was not for me, but I still keep those screenplays; never wanted to trash them. They're bad, but they're good memories. Sometimes, what you write is like the music you listen to: It can remind you of a specific time, what you were doing, what you were thinking, how happy you were, who you were with, etc., and you can capture all those moments through some sort of "magic," even if you're not fully aware of it. I imagine that must work the same way with the camera. It's like one of the pivotal things in your artistic inspiration, so, you see, what you said was not silly at all, man. That's what you like. You feel good doing it, and nobody can take that from you, ever, not even if you decide to change paths in the future. I believe that's one of the many true beauties of this life.

I am in the middle of writing a script.

But it still needs heaps of work done to it though.

Jassian has read it and told me her thoughts on it :)

Oooooh yeah filmmaking, production. I think production is where the work is!

No worries about having to film work ay?

I have made some video's about QL (www.myspace.com/angvav)

I have put up that site in another thread I think!

Sorry for re posting it! Silly me!