Season 3 - R2 Music is INTACT!

mgcrans

Project QL Intern
Aug 24, 2005
Region 2 is the best

I realize it's not perfect, but the more I see these Region 2 discs, the more I am seriously considering switching completely over to that format. I mean...no double sided discs. That is so great...I am wondering if it's worth it to sell my region 1 Knight Rider and Dukes of Hazzard sets and go with these ones.

Nobody tell Europe that double sided discs exist----maybe they don't know ;)

Well, not perfect really...

mgcrans said:
I realize it's not perfect, but the more I see these Region 2 discs, the more I am seriously considering switching completely over to that format. I mean...no double sided discs. That is so great...I am wondering if it's worth it to sell my region 1 Knight Rider and Dukes of Hazzard sets and go with these ones.

Nobody tell Europe that double sided discs exist----maybe they don't know ;)

Yeah, well, but it has no subtitles. Not that I don't understand the audio, but R1 captions were so cool. I hate DVD's without the basic complements. Even if it had some features, it would be good, but all you get is the original episodes, and that's it. Great image quality/sound/interactive menus are pretty basic things for a DVD (and not even "Sea Bride" is spelled good in the box artwork.) Quantum Leap is a show that deserves the best on a DVD. Crappy movies/series from the 80's get better things on a DVD, that's not fair. Universal's not a cheap studio.

Last edited:
Universal's cheap!

Sauron Universal's not a cheap studio.[/QUOTE said:
I just don't get it???? If Universal is able to spend big big money on other big things like star trak then why are the doing such a bad job with QL? I keep hearing everyone talking about the aringal music is there a reason they feel the need to take it way? for ones like me we will never really know what the real Quantum Leap sounded like. It would be nice if they just left things alone! :banghead :censored

Sauron said:
Yeah, well, but it has no subtitles. Not that I don't understand the audio, but R1 captions were so cool. I hate DVD's without the basic complements. Even if it had some features, it would be good, but all you get is the original episodes, and that's it. Great image quality/sound/interactive menus are pretty basic things for a DVD (and not even "Sea Bride" is spelled good in the box artwork.) Quantum Leap is a show that deserves the best on a DVD. Crappy movies/series from the 80's get better things on a DVD, that's not fair. Universal's not a cheap studio.

so that's what R1 and R2 is about, i wondered about what those stood for, how does that work though, i would love to try it.

jmellissa said:
I just don't get it???? If Universal is able to spend big big money on other big things like star trak then why are the doing such a bad job with QL? I keep hearing everyone talking about the aringal music is there a reason they feel the need to take it way? for ones like me we will never really know what the real Quantum Leap sounded like. It would be nice if they just left things alone! :banghead :censored

Star Trek is Paramount, not Universal. That's comparing Apples and Oranges. ;)

Sauron said:
Yeah, well, but it has no subtitles. Not that I don't understand the audio, but R1 captions were so cool. I hate DVD's without the basic complements. Even if it had some features, it would be good, but all you get is the original episodes, and that's it.

If i have to choose between the music replacements and the missing of the subtitles, then i know what my choice would be. Even for someone like me who is more used to subtitles then anyone else (we don't dub foreign languages over here). In the beginning it can be quite irritating, but i'm getting used to it (though i realise that there are fans in Europe who don't understand the English language as perfect as i do).

And from what i've seen from the description of the Season 3 DVD(R2) it looks like that they will continue releasing it without subtitles in R2.

It's not worth switching for other shows IMO. The R2 knight Rider has the pretitle teasters removed, as does A-Team. The Dukes of Hazzards sets from Warner are double the price of the R1 sets.

I mean, I'm from the UK and I've been buying the R1 sets of A-Team, Magnum PI. Quantum Leap are the first Universal sets that I switched back to my own territory for buying.

Mine came yesterday!! :hurray: Now to figure out how to hook up my Cyberhome DVD player so I can watch it! (All my inputs/outputs are currently taken. <g> I may have to hijack another TV)

I really wouldn't recommend anyone replacing one region for another. A better investment would be to simply buy a region-free player. Most of the time Region 1 gets the better DVDs, but sometimes it doesn't as is the case now. I understand that inconsistency can be annoying, but it's all how you look at it. You just never know what region will get the better sets...

QL Nut said:
I really wouldn't recommend anyone replacing one region for another. A better investment would be to simply buy a region-free player. Most of the time Region 1 gets the better DVDs, but sometimes it doesn't as is the case now. I understand that inconsistency can be annoying, but it's all how you look at it. You just never know what region will get the better sets...

how can you order a region 2 DVD set?

Well...

Grimlock said:
If i have to choose between the music replacements and the missing of the subtitles, then i know what my choice would be. Even for someone like me who is more used to subtitles then anyone else (we don't dub foreign languages over here). In the beginning it can be quite irritating, but i'm getting used to it (though i realise that there are fans in Europe who don't understand the English language as perfect as i do).

And from what i've seen from the description of the Season 3 DVD(R2) it looks like that they will continue releasing it without subtitles in R2.

Unfortunately, I guess this is the way for us Leapers now. They just give us the entire episode without captions, subtitles, and without anything inside the DVD set, but it has all the original music intact, and that's something worth, isn't it?, when it's just simply as basic as the interactive menu on the DVD.

Why didn't they put (at least) captions on the R2? I guess because it's the same way about the money, and things like that, as what happened with the music rights in the United States. R2 people need more the captions and the subtitles, even England, when sometimes they don't understand the slang people use in America, but people never complains about those little things. It doesn't matter the packaging, the quality of the DVD's, it doesn't even matter how many discs the studio gives us, all what matters is the original music. I guess "music intact" has become a "special feature" for us now.

In that way, QL R1 set is not better than the R2 set, and R2 set is not better than the R1. It's still Universal's DVD, not Leaper's. No matter which way you look at it, Universal's not threating a great TV show (our show) well, with the proper care it deserves on a DVD.

Sauron said:
Unfortunately, I guess this is the way for us Leapers now. They just give us the entire episode without captions, subtitles, and without anything inside the DVD set, but it has all the original music intact, and that's something worth, isn't it?, when it's just simply as basic as the interactive menu on the DVD.

Why didn't they put (at least) captions on the R2? I guess because it's the same way about the money, and things like that, as what happened with the music rights in the United States. R2 people need more the captions and the subtitles, even England, when sometimes they don't understand the slang people use in America, but people never complains about those little things. It doesn't matter the packaging, the quality of the DVD's, it doesn't even matter how many discs the studio gives us, all what matters is the original music. I guess "music intact" has become a "special feature" for us now.

In that way, QL R1 set is not better than the R2 set, and R2 set is not better than the R1. It's still Universal's DVD, not Leaper's. No matter which way you look at it, Universal's not threating a great TV show (our show) well, with the proper care it deserves on a DVD.

I agree with this 100%...I remember, way back when, before the first season of Quantum Leap came out...we were asked about what extras we wanted. I remember I sent in a request for a bunch of stuff including pictures of the TV Guide advertisments when Quantum Leap was featured. Sounds crazy now, to think that Universal would do something like that.

I personally think all TV shows should be done like the Friends DVD sets. Say what you will about the show, but they edited the deleted scenes back into quite a few episodes (maybe all of them---I'm not sure):hurray: Not to mention the extras on the show...That's the way to release a show on DVD

As far as music goes, it continues to hold up another one of my favorite TV show---ED---from even coming to DVD. I said it before and I'll say it again----Some studio needs to get the courage to release show, music included, without permission and go to court to get this settled. Force the music people's hand. Then when the court rules against them, all shows will be released as they were suppose to be.

I've asked this on another thread that really has no pertinence to the subject at all, so i figured i'd try here. My PS2 is now my DVD because mine recently died. I was able to set it region "UK" in the setup mode, and I was wondering if I really could play region 2 dvds on it when its hooked up this way. I changed it with the half-formed wish of it playing my region 1 dvd as if it were region 2 (yes, stupid, i know) but it got me thinking about whether I could start buying region 2s now. Could someone let me know?

Samantha Beckett

That is a very interesting question. I would love to hear the answer to that one myself. Because if it does play region 2, it might save me from having to buy a new player

hey can anyone tell me how i can set my DVD player, NOT my ps2 my DVD player to region 2? and what about computers, can they play region 2 somehow?

becasue i have never heard of this before and it had caught my interest.

Last edited:
It depends on the brand and model of the DVD player. There are instructions online. Not sure WHERE, but a couple people around here are savvy to it.

McDuck said:
It depends on the brand and model of the DVD player. There are instructions online. Not sure WHERE, but a couple people around here are savvy to it.

my DVD player is a Magnavox and there is some kind of code MDV458?

Season 3 - R2 Music INTACT

Just having a look now and no music seems to have been changed in Leap Home part 2.

Hopefually that means all, like the season 2 set.

Right, but some people (life myself) like to watch shows with captions...or subtitles as it were. I'm not so hard of hearing that I have a need for the captions, its just a thing with me. Some just want the subtitles, :D

Samantha Beckett

If I am watching something alone, I'll put subtitles on.
I'm a bit hard of hearing, but can cope without if I have to.