QL finally leaps back onto DVD!

L

lonerangerone

QL finally leaps back onto DVD!
Posted by David Lambert
2/17/2004

With the original DVD release of Quantum Leap - The Pilot Episode being long out-of-print, fans of the show have longed for Universal Home Entertainment to bring the beloved series back to DVD in season sets.

We knew something was in-the-works last November, when reports surfaced that Deborah Pratt - who was heavily involved in the show - had mentioned in an interview that she was called in to do some work on the new home video version.

Now the waiting is over, and the countdown to the street date begins. This morning, Universal Home Video announced that Quantum Leap - Season 1 will leap home on June 8th. The nine hours of program that made up the rookie season - including the pilot episode "Genesis" from the out-of-print item - will arrive on 2 DVDs, at a $59.98 SRP.

Right now details are thin, with no details on the specs, no extras mentioned so far (though we're sure there will be some, since Ms. Pratt participated on the release), and no cover art to show you yet. Still, it's great to know that Sam, Al, and Ziggy will be coming back home this summer, in one of the most-requested releases here at the site (in the top 10!). Stay tuned, and we'll be back just as soon as Universal circulates the remaining information about this box set.

Now if someone can get Universal to put a little piece of paper in the DVD box sets for link to Al's Place, imagine all the new writers MJ would get...lol

At least you guys get the option.
I'd gladly pay ?60 (which is way more than $60) for it, but there is no hint of a region 2 version.
Guess I'll have to hope my computer dvd can cope with being set to region 1 so I can get it imported.

Great News!

This is really amazing news! June 8 is really not that far away either! I agree that $60 price has me worried. Not just for this set. The later sets will have 22 episodes each, meaning more than twice as many discs as this one. Will those sets cost more then twice as much? So I hope that universalstudios.com is closer to the truth.

Re: Great News!

This just made my night! :D

Actually, DZL, I've always been paying about $100.00 for the Star Trek season box sets at Best Buy, when they're usually around $120.00 to $130.00 each everywhere else. Did you leave out an extra zero? :b

Hmm, I wonder how they're doing it on just 2 discs... Pilot + 3 episodes on Disc 1, and 4 episodes on Disc 2? If you count the pilot as 2 episodes, then that's technically 9 "hours" on 2 discs... normally, DVD box sets have no more than 4 episodes on 1 disc and the extras would go at the end of whatever's left over. At least, that's how the Star Trek seasons work...

All the same, this is encouraging news! Hope Universal doesn't screw it up...

Actually, the pilot episode is about 1 1/2 hours long and the rest last about 46-48 minutes, so altogether, that's only about 7 hours on two discs with room for extras... but not much. Guess we will see, but I just can't wait to see them unedited with the original openings in crystal clear quality. That's enough of a bonus for me. Haven't seen QL that way since it first aired back in 1989!

WOWWW!!! This has made me excited. :D :D :D

I also got an e-mail from Amazon.com today, and I thought I'd be the first to break the news. <pout> :lol

Greetings from Amazon.com!

You've previously signed up to be notified when "Quantum Leap" (DVD) became
available, and we're happy to inform you that it is now available to
pre-order!

If you would like to pre-order this item now, just follow the link below:

www.amazon.com/exec/obido...t_th_em_po

Once you've placed your order, we will ship this item to you as soon
as it is released (your credit card will not be charged until this
item is ready for shipping).

If you do not want to purchase this item, there is no need to reply to
this message.

If you have any questions, please write to us at orders@amazon.com.
We hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com!

Enjoy,
Your Friends at Amazon.com

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

... Mike. ^___________________________________^

:rollin Now all I need is a DVD player...

Well, I know what *I'm* asking for for my birthday/graduation!

Is it possible to get all seven or so hours on one disc (since they'll be dual-sided), then have an extra disc full of extras? I don't know much of the technological side of DVDs.

Joy

Awesome News!

I got the Amazon email as well. To comment on the dual sided question I would say they won't use dvd9 (dual layered) for this set. It's too expensive to use (DL) for them. I highly doubt we are going to have much extras so I wouldn't count on that either. I'm just looking at it like this. $40 for the first season and that's it. It's totally worth it to me. If we get anything extra at all it will be a bonus.

Re: Awesome News!

Looks like a rather cool DVD cover. What a great logo you designed Brian!!

Unforunately I don't own a DVD player. I am considering purchasing a Multi-Regional DVD Player, soley for the purpose that I can get the Quantum Leap DVD. Lord only know if and/so if a region 2 (UK and Ireland) DVD will become available.

Do I love Quantum Leap too much? I think so!

<a href="http://www.quantumleaping.com" target="_new">www.quantumleaping.com</a>
webmaster@quantumleaping.com

Re: Awesome News!

oh RIGHT ON!!!

in fact:
hellyeah.gif

It just keeps getting better!

WOW! Deleted scenes! Does anybody have any idea what they may be based on early scripts? Mock movie footage sounds like some of the ideas that people here suggested for the DVDs! I really, really like the box art! To see anything new for QL is great. I have a feeling this is going to be a great year for Quantum Leap!

Re: It just keeps getting better!

Oh yeah, I agree!! That box art is amazing. :D

Deleted scenes! *faints* Oh my gosh, I'm getting too excited.. I'd better get back to work. <LOL> Lunch is over in five minutes.

... Mike. :nut

YES! A good year for Quantum Leap indeed!!! ^________^

Re: It just keeps getting better!

If he did pose, they must've put a wig on him, 'cause his hair ain't that thick anymore. Or, they had a model pose, then they stuck an old pic of Scott on the body.

Joy

PS: I noticed that the large version of the cover art is clearer. Looks AWESOME!!!!!!

Bonus Materials Mix-up

Hi gang,

Looks like there was a mix-up with the ign.com info I posted earlier. They got it wrong. Here is an email I got earlier today:

The following from www.tvshowsondvd.com
Today, TVShowsOnDVD is pleased to tell you that Northern Exposure - The Complete 1st Season will arrive on DVD this May 25th...

With such a short season, Universal didn't want to disappoint the fans with too short a DVD release, so they are adding some nice bonus material to this box set. Look for these extras:

Deleted Scenes
Video Documentary Footage
Mock Movie Footage
"Unexposed" Footage

As you can see these extras are identical to the specs IGN reported for Quantum Leap and since these shows are both from Universal and were announced on the same day it would seem like an obvious mix-up.

Guess we will have to wait for the info on bonus materials for our DVD set a bit longer. Sorry for the mis-information!

Re: Bonus Materials Mix-up

Not a problem, Brian. I don't normally trust IGN for accurate information, anyway. Not after that article about the QL revival, which ended with a very mean comment about Dean by the writer that a real journalist would have put only in an opinion column (which that was not).

The TVShowsOnDVD have always been very reliable with their information. They rock.

Joy

AAAAACK!!! How exciting!!

Hi, folks! Long time no see! Errr...write! :)

This is fantastic news. I couldn't believe it when I saw the message from Amazon in my inbox!

Folks, please buy this without reservation. Advance order it if at all possible. $60 is the list price, but that's for 3 DVDs, not two, and through Amazon it's only $40. There's even an option for no shipping and handling (it just takes a couple of extra days to arrive). $40 for 3 DVDs is great, even if there aren't a whole lot of extras...and we already know there will be some. (The longer seasons will have more extra features, I bet.)

This is crucially important. If we don't support this set, there won't be any future sets. And what's more, there might not be any TV movie.

Case in point: writer-producer Joss Whedon created the space show "Firefly" for Fox. The network messed up the order of the episodes, confusing many viewers, and the show bombed in the ratings. It was canceled after only 15 episodes, with only 12 of them ever airing.

Fox decided to put out a box set of the DVDs anyway, including the missing episodes. Thanks to the loyal fans, sales of the DVDs went through the roof.

As a result, Universal bought the rights away from Fox and began developing a big-screen "Firefly" movie with Joss.

Similarly, the canceled Sci-Fi Channel series "Farscape" now has a mini-series in the works, thanks to the fabulous sales of the DVDs.

Two key points to get from this:

1) If we tell everyone we know to get these, and pre-order it ourselves, sales will go through the roof. Only money, and a lot of it, will convince a studio to move forward with a franchise.

2) Look at which studio is developing Firefly--Universal, not Fox. The same studio that owns Quantum Leap is just dying to find sci-fi franchises to revive! Let's convince them that Quantum Leap is worth their time!!

OK, I'll get off the soapbox now. I'm just really excited, and anxious to see this thing go through, that's all. :)

Final note. A while back, someone posted that we should send suggestions for what we want to see on the DVDs to beckettslady@aol.com. She in turn would then send it on to Deborah Pratt. I would guess it's too late for suggestions on the Season 1 disc, but can I still send suggestions to that address for the other season box sets? If not, where should I send them?

Anyway, glad that there's finally new Quantum Leap news! Can't wait to hear more!!

Take care,
Tom