Screen Capture Collection

How very generous Straystar.
I dare say I never got into the Lord of the Rings series. Saw the first film with my father upon HIS idea actually and we were both bored to death. >_<

Fanfic writing can certainly become addicting, I need to correct the problem of never finishing any of the ones I start, including the one for Quantum Leap from years ago that I have recently begun re-writing.

You've inspired me, I almost want to start my own screen cap collection, problem is ever since switching from my HP to my Acer it's not as simple and quick taking screenshots. I very much miss Intervideo WinDVD and wish there was a version for Windows 7. I've tried it. A LOT! X(
Try PowerDVD.

Or if you want a free choice, VLC Player. VLC is my main media player and yes, it will play DVDs.

I appreciate the suggestions.
Tried VLC and could never get it to perform well once I got it to at all. I actually installed it more than once. With an itunes file it would crash upon my pressing play, then I could get a DVD to it's episode selection menu before it would freeze. I've never tried Quantum Leap specifically but it shouldn't matter.

PowerDVD, not sure I have tried that one and I have tried quite a few.
Actually I believe my DVD drive is on the fritz, we are speaking of a 5 year old Acer laptop. It takes me several tries for my Being Human DVDs to be read and a couple of films I tried wouldn't read at all even in multiple software.

Not long ago it refused to read season 5, disc 2 of Quantum Leap though just the previous night I had watched Revenge of the Evil Leapers on one of the companion discs fine. It didn't even make me open and close it several times first as is necessary almost every time with Being Human. It read right away.

So it tends to decide when it wants to behave or not. I tried inquiring with my mother's expert boyfriend about it but he feels my drive needs to be replaced but found he was unable to accomplish his attempt of doing so with the one from my mother's old HP laptop.
Since I now primarily use her Macbook except when I need photoshop or to run Skype she doesn't feel inclined to have it addressed.
I seriously need a job. XP

I am not sure if you have tried before but I always use KMPlayer for screencapping.I have never been able to figure out how to use VLC player for capping,though so I don't know how KMP is when it's compared to VLC.

I am not sure if you have tried before but I always use KMPlayer for screencapping.I have never been able to figure out how to use VLC player for capping,though so I don't know how KMP is when it's compared to VLC.
VLC is a little tricky because choosing "Take snapshot" writes the snapshot to your My Pictures folder. You can change that setting, as well as the file naming, file numbering, and file format (png or jpg) if you go to Video Settings under Settings.

Look at the two questions about Snapshots here: http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html

VLC is a little tricky because choosing "Take snapshot" writes the snapshot to your My Pictures folder. You can change that setting, as well as the file naming, file numbering, and file format (png or jpg) if you go to Video Settings under Settings.

Look at the two questions about Snapshots here: http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html
Thank you for the link ;)
Yet I want to take multiple caps while I'm watching the video.I mean for making gifs.
There were tutorials about it but I finally gave up about it after learning how to grab caps via KMPlayer.

@Feldon30: It turns out after consulting the log I created that I had once tried PowerDVD and it would crash upon opening. I however decided to attempt it again and this time I could get the DVD to play.
For a few minutes it was fine but then begun to lag and become out of sync with the audio which would turn choppy. It begun as minimum and self correcting but then escalated to non-stop.

@ladystoneheart: Now KMplayer is NOT on my log. I will look into it thank you.

Tips to make music videos

We have a new pc and I would love some tips to making music videos. The ones I made 20 years ago were done by VCR to VCR transfer--what a mess. Any hints?

We have a new pc and I would love some tips to making music videos. The ones I made 20 years ago were done by VCR to VCR transfer--what a mess. Any hints?
I used to make vids with Windows Movie Maker which comes with the Microsoft so I didn't have to download another software.I remember it was user-friendly.I noticed that there are some changes but you can easily find tips from the offical FAQ.
I tried to use Sony Vega Movie Maker but it was too difficult for me.

Wonderful, so far this software seems to be a winner. Lothos seems to be accepting it (my bestie named her new Windows 8 laptop Ziggy so I decided to rename my old Acer Lothos). Almost to the second death in The Boogiem*n with minimal problems.

Now to figure out how to take a screen capture. None of the options in the 'capture' menu work and from the little I scanned through on the forum it was unclear and seemed like I needed to install more software.

Now to figure out how to take a screen capture. None of the options in the 'capture' menu work and from the little I scanned through on the forum it was unclear and seemed like I needed to install more software.
It is very easy to take a screencap with this software.You need to choose advanced options to see the whole menu,I think.

This tutorial really helped me to figure out how to do it.This tut is for an older version but it's still useful.

ETA: btw,this is for autocapping.If you want to take random caps,like you pause the exact scene from which you want to take the cap,you should choose "capture frame" CTRL+ALT+E

Last edited:
It is very easy to take a screencap with this software.You need to choose advanced options to see the whole menu,I think.

This tutorial really helped me to figure out how to do it.This tut is for an older version but it's still useful.

ETA: btw,this is for autocapping.If you want to take random caps,like you pause the exact scene from which you want to take the cap,you should choose "capture frame" CTRL+ALT+E

I do want to take caps of an exact moment that is what made Intervideo WinDVD 5 so ideal, that and the button right in the remote area so just one click was required (well two since you also had to select click another within a camera roll to save either individual shots or all).
I however tried 'Capture Frame' and it gave me some error about superspeed. Same with every 'frame' capture option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a problem.
BTW to Feldon30, I inquired with the official Cyberlink support forum about my issues with PowerDVD and it turns out Lothos (my Acer) isn't fast enough to support it.
So I'm very glad that he approves of KM Player. :)

Not a problem.
BTW to Feldon30, I inquired with the official Cyberlink support forum about my issues with PowerDVD and it turns out Lothos (my Acer) isn't fast enough to support it.
So I'm very glad that he approves of KM Player. :)
I'm glad you found a program that works. :)

Well Lothos decided to rebel. Last I tried to play an episode via KMPlayer I couldn't get the Disc to even start. It was only one attempt however and I plan to try again.
I am seriously starting to consider adding my own screencap collection to the scarce number of them out there to go along side StrayStar's beautiful collection. It's due to which I now have this beautiful icon by Ladystoneheart for which I give my thanks to you StrayStar. The credit to you both should be below my signature banner but it's not appearing somehow. My apologies.

I am seriously starting to consider adding my own screencap collection to the scarce number of them out there to go along side StrayStar's beautiful collection.
I hope you can. That would be amazing.
Oh, also let's hope the problem doesn't occur again.

I have just finished sorting my Quantum Leap capture files and isolated those I took myself. This consists of:
*At least a dozen taken several years ago using my old reliable Intervideo WinDVD, of which there are quite a few more than I realized!
*A few shots of Return and Revenge of the Evil Leapers intended for photoshop art via Windows Media Player and the 'Print screen' key on this family desktop in the living room (Lothos the Acer was not cooperating that night).
*A few testers of The Great Spontini via KMPlayer.

Not too shabby a start, now I just need some form of an internet gallery to display them to the public. I am thinking either the profile albums offered here or...I have no idea.

now I just need some form of an internet gallery to display them to the public. I am thinking either the profile albums offered here or...I have no idea.
Tumblr, Google Web Albums (formerly Picasa), Photobucket, there are many options. Almost too many. ;)

Photobucket isn't a bad idea.
KMPlayer is cooperating again and Shock Theater caps complete!

Please feel free to let me know if there is an episode you'd like me to prioritize. Even if it's among those I don't particularly enjoy I will do my best to stand it for you. ;)

Last edited: