Happy 15th Anniversary Quantum Leap!

Today, 26th March 2004, is the 15th anniversary of the first showing of Quantum Leap anywhere in the world.

I want to thank Donald P. Bellisario, Scott Bakula, Dean Stockwell and all else who were involved with Quantum Leap for a wonderful 15 years. Quantum Leap instantly become my favourite programme from the moment I first saw the first episode, even though it took me several weeks to understand what was happening.

Even 15 years later, each episode is still as fresh and exciting as it was from the first time I saw them. I hope the new Quantum Leap will try on the tradition and in the same that The Next Generation carried on the tradition for Star Trek.

Update:

Forgot to add, a lot of people were expecting news about Bold Leap to be announced on the 29th February. I didn't think it was going to be announced that day. Instead, I always felt that today was going to be the day they announced some further news on it. The 15th anniversary of when it all started. Here's hoping I'm right! ;O)
Looking forward to the first film - Quantum Leap: The Motion Picture!

Leap On!

<a href="http://www.quantumleaping.com" target="_new">www.quantumleaping.com</a>
webmaster@quantumleaping.com

15 years, Amazing!

I remember that night even though I was only 10. The main thing I remember is Sam in the Accelerator and being fascinated by it being about time travel. Being the age I was I don't think I really knew it was a series or to look for it again. I think I did not really see it again until the first Quantum Leap Week. Then I was hooked and watched it every week. I also remember not completely understanding everything at first. I never really understood were Al really was. When the show started reruns on USA and I saw the earlier episodes that I missed is when I really understood things about the Project. The thing that amazes me is how well the show has aged, it hasn't aged at all!

I suspect that we will hear something more about the new movie when they are ready to start. As much as this date means to us, I doubt the studio will say anything until they are ready. But I think it is very possible that Don B. may say something during his interview on the DVDs. If not the first season, one of the later ones.

Re: 15 years, Amazing!

Here's to another 15 years of Quantum Leap and I agree with you, this most fabulous television series hasn't aged one bit. I don't know how many times I've watched each episode but I still enjoy seeing them over and over, just a shame that this Sunday is the final episode on UKTV Gold and there's no more listings for the future :\ :( Roll on the sales of the DVDs over here in the UK :hair

I just wanted to take this time and wish Quantum Leap a happy 15th anniversary. This is the first time I have posted here. I have wanted to for a while and today just seemed like a fitting time. I was only 7 when the show started, but it has, I think still in a way does, made a big impact in my life. It was my first favorite show. Thanks to all involved making it.

I was almost four when QL: Genesis aired, so I never saw the show in its original run (although, I'm still quite sure I had seen "Jimmy" before; and my mom has the original airing of LHO on tape).

I do remember when I finally got to see Genesis, though. I'd already seen most of the rest of the series via Sci-Fi reruns. My sister had seen several episodes too, as I had made her watch them. When we sat down to watch Genesis, we were cracking up almost the entire time. It really was hilarious to see some of the things that they had in the pilot that had developed and evolved by the later seasons (which is most of what I had seen by that time). But it was cool to see how it all started.

I can't wait for the Season 1 DVDs. I'm still hinting big time at my mom that that's what I want for my 19th birthday.

Joy

I was about 13 years old when I saw my first episode.The first episode that I saw was Heart of a Chamion. At first I was pretty confused at what was going on, but I caught a few more episodes after that. To say the least, I was hooked. It was only a couple when I saw the advertisment for Mirror Image that I realized that it was on NBC. Up until then, I had been watching reruns on the USA network. (For years following, I would always seem to miss the replay of Trilogy part 1 because I didn't know USA showed it on Saturdays as well.)
Well I watched Mirror Image and was mad that I had missed it while it was still a weekly series, But I have since seen every episode and can still watch any of them to this day.
Congratulations to Quantum Leap for it's fifteenth Anniversary
Al's Handlink
Tom

Many thanks to Don, Scott, and Dean from me as well! I never got to see the show until five years ago (around March 18 or 19, 1999) when it started airing on Space... I saw "Star Crossed", and couldn't let this series get away from me. :b

I didn't see Genesis for a long time either, so it was kind of interesting to see how the series began. I guess I would have been about seven-years old when QL first began airing, but like others said, the show doesn't age! I haven't seen an episode in ages: perhaps I'll hunt down "Genesis" on my tapes and watch it tonight. :D

... Mike. ^_^

15 years and it's still great!

I was only 9 when I first saw QL. The episode I was watching was glitter rock. It's now one of my fave episodes.

Janna Galaxy

Well, as Mike, I didn't start watching the show until it started running on Space, but I think I had seen maybe an episode before, but it's so far away I have no idea what it can be, or what it was about.

However, I got hooked when I watched the show on Space and I've been hooked ever since. I have not seen every episode there is (what a shame), but be sure I am hunting all over the internet to get them... I'm already over halfway through, but it's not always easy, and at 220MB an episode, it fills up my 10Gb hard drive pretty fast...

Anyways, happy birthday, Quantum Leap. I cannot wait for the DVD set nor for the movie. May it keep on living for another 15 years at least.

Clara

Well, if I have anything to do with it, another 15 years will definately reign here at Al's Place! I watched the show from the original airings on NBC. I also was almost 13 in 1989 and I remember I pitched a fit with my parents because we were at my Grandparents house and I didn't want to leave because I would have missed the show. Needless to say, we stayed the extra two hours and the rest is history, so to speak ;)

For some of you younger fans, if they present the DVD's in the original format of the show, you'll get to see the original show openers including an episode or two featuring a man's voice doing the saga-sell (I believe it was the voice of Lance LeGault who played Tess's father in "How the Tess Was Won."

Happy 15th to the show and many thanks to all the casts and crew of this fantastic series!

Man, I wish I had been there from the very beginning too. I was 14 and a freshman in high school when I first heard about Quantum Leap, but it wasn't until late that summer (1990) when I finally discovered it. I even missed the first Quantum Leap Week. My first episode was "Play it Again, Seymour" then "Thou Shalt Not..." was next I think, and I was hooked. I don't think I got to finally see how the show began until after the 3rd season ended, which was when USA began syndicating QL. I remember how excited I was around that time because the 4th season was beginning, QL was beginning in syndication, and the novels and the comics were all being published around the same time.

I could have never known way back when that an itty-bitty television show could lead me to meet some of the best friends I could ask for. :)

Happy 15th Anniversary, QL! Hopefully, the DVDs are just the first wave in the year-long celebration!

Ok, since dating ourselves seem to be the key here... *hehehe* I think that I was about 16-17 years old when I saw my very first episode over at a friend's house. Going to spend the night with my friends and just having a girls night so to speak and when I popped into their house (my adopted parents house too at the time)... they told me to plop down beside them and watch this awesome show called Quantum Leap.

I can't remember what episode it was... but I do know that it caught my attention from then on. I was hooked and look at what it's done to me.

I mean... LOOK AT WHAT IT'S DONE TO ME! :rollin

And, I wouldn't have changed it for anything.

So... Happy 15th Quantum Leap.

==========================

Just as a side... I'm more than surprised that QL:TVS is still going. Five years and running. Wild... and yet... it seems right. Doesn't it? :b

MJ

I was in on QL from the very beginning. I remember the advertising NBC had for it before the pilot even aired. It was a commercial for their Saturday night comedy line-up in '89 and it had Betty White in a dress going down the list of shows airing on Saturdays talking briefly about each one as they were listed next to her on the screen. Then at the end, Betty disappeared in a flash of blue light and a then somewhat unknown actor (although I recognized him from a tv movie called I-Man about a dad who got super powers and from the tv version of Gung Ho) appeared: a man in the same dress Betty wore saying something like, "Watch the premier of Quantum Leap next week."

I wasn't sure at first what it was about but it piqued my interest. What kind of show is this? So I tuned in and watched the pilot with the ending of Sam spitting out the pipe in the classroom and I thought, "It just ends like this?" I thought it was a movie. Then I realized it was a show and I was hooked. I went to college the following year. My freshmen year revolved around Fridays watching QL in the study lounge with other people who found the show (then going out to party...hehe). I still recall watching the Leap Home and Vietnam in that study lounge. I also recall my junior year, when everyone was packed in my dormroom to watch Mirror Image, realizing it was over (or was it?) and not sure what to think of it. I was disappointed with the hasty captioning about Sam never getting home but I knew the show was in trouble when one of the episodes spent 5 minutes at the end with Scott and Al as themselves on the set of the Civil War episode trying to promote the show. My lone contribution so far to the QL:TVS (Guinea Pig I & II) stemmed from what I wanted as a final episode (except now I had to change the ending so Sam could continue traveling thru time.)

My VHS tapes of the episodes was mothballed when DVD became my choice of viewing movies. Now that the DVDs are coming, I'll be glad to watch them commercial-free (and no USA logo in the corner!)

LEAP ON!!!

I was a wee little girl when Quantum Leap first aired, and didn't start getting into it until it had already been running a few seasons. I think there was a new episode once a week and then reruns on certain days, and since I was watching it every time it came on I was always confused about the order of the episodes. I think M.I.A. was one of the first episodes I watched, and I loved it! I was a little too young to understand everything that was happening, but Sam and Al became a couple of heroes to me. :) Then the networks started messing with the times to the point that I never knew when Quantum Leap was coming on, and as a result I lost "contact" with the show for several years. I rediscovered it one day on the Sci-fi channel (I believe), renewed my lost love, developed a small crush on a man old enough to be my dad (perhaps even my grandpa!), and after a couple years of reacquainting myself with the show and making sure I saw every episode, discovered this message board (well, the sci-fi board before the switch, anyway)! And here I am! :D

Happy Anniversary, everyone!
Here's to Quantum Leap and all the great stuff that has come with it -- like meeting all of you! :cheers
Oh, boy!

-Biridox

you'll get to see the original show openers including an episode or two featuring a man's voice doing the saga-sell

I don't know how SciFi did things when they were airing QL, but on Space, they showed each episode with its original airing saga cell... so there was one episode in season 2 that had a male voice doing the introduction, then it changed to Ziggy's voice (Deborah Pratt), with varying degrees of digitalisation on her voice.

I believe I've documented each of the different saga cells... LOL... I could give you the details, Brian, if you like (whenever I find my clipboard :( ).

... Mike.