Well... the good news is i'm not dead.

C

Coolgamer

However, I very nearly was.

My doctor prescribed me on a new medication for an antidepressent about a month ago, because the previous one literally knocked me out. ( I kept falling asleep during breakfast, on my keyboard, etc.)

The new med fixed that problem fine and dandy. I had a lot more energy, more then normal. ( Which is odd, because i'm hyper to start with.)

Then things started getting... odd.

I got irritated quickly over small things. At one point I stayed awake for 48 hours nonstop, without any ill side effects. I wasn't even tired.

I started saying thing out loud or do things before thinking about them.

Then the depression hit. It wasn't like a fall. It was more like waking up and saying, " I wonder if i really feel like living?"

I pondered for two weeks, then made an attempt to kill myself. Thankfully, someone stopped by to visit that day for an outing I had forgotten about and happened to look into the bathroom window.

I've been in a treatment/Detox. program for about a month. Now that the drug is fully out of my system, i'm okay.

Legal says that we wouldn't be able to afford sueing the drug company, and if we did, it's unlikely we'd win anything. Since it's listed in their 50-page disclaimer of side-effects.

So anyway, i'm back.

Who am I?

Compared to the frequents on the board, a n00b.

But still obsessed about quantum leap. So much I had to get a digital sample of the theme song... i think it's still under ziggy's sounds.

I'm cutting this short. I'll post more later.

Coolgamer,
I don't know what to say other than... I'm glad that you're back to yourself.

I know that this may seem WAY out there, I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to say a blessing prayer that you are alive and still you. *grin*

I know that we haven't talked much, but from being in the same boat (with the depression - and I am taking medicine for it)... that I do understand where you are coming from.

Please, be careful... and if you need anything at all, please feel free to email me mjcogburn@hotmail.com or message me through here. I'm more than willing to lend an ear and give support.

MJ

To echo MJ,
I may not have chatted to you much, but I too am prayerfully glad that you are on the mend.

If you need a friend, you couldn't hope to find better than the bunch that reside here. (And I hope I can count myself in that number)

Don't be afraid to use us!
We are only an email or an msn (or equivalent) away. (leaper8757@hotmail.com for my part)
I can also recommend to all you folks who are or have been down, a lovely guy who has been through the mill, is wonderfully empathic and who has had professional training as a Peer Mentor. (That is a student who talks to troubled fellow students who are not comfortable confiding in staff). He is only 17 years old, but is wise way beyond his years. He also happens to be my son Robert, in whom I am fiercely proud.
If you prefer to talk to someone 'off board' he is very discreet, and doesn't discuss confidential matters with me, so you needn't worry.

Remember guys, there is never a need to suffer or be miserable alone, there is always somebody out there who cares!

Everyone in their life will suffer from a 'down time' in one form or another. Whether you have gone through it or not, it WILL get you eventually. There is no escaping the dreaded 'blues bug'.

What would the point be if you have a life of 'highs' and not know that they are the 'highs'? That's where the 'lows' come in, without them, we wouldn't appreciate the 'good' times in our lives.

So come on, 'hands up' all of you haven't experienced a 'bad' time!!

10 posts or 1,000 posts, you're family now, bub! Please feel free to talk any of us. I myself can be reached at Technicallyiam@charter.net, and I often hang around on MSN Messenger under the same e-mail. This goes for anyone here...talk to me! :)

I'm glad you are feeling more like your old self, Coolgamer.

-Biridox

From my point of view...

Way too many things are regarded as "wonder" pills and people who have no reason to take them are being given them anyway...

It turns out I had no "chemical imbalence" in my brain, and when they gave me the Prozac to "fix" it, things went to heck.

Re: From my point of view...

well said birdi!!

If you post more than once here, heck, you GOTTA be a distant cousin to Quantum! LOL!

Glad you're back around us. If you need anything... you just ask bud!

Matt

Way too many things are regarded as "wonder" pills and people who have no reason to take them are being given them anyway...

I agree completely. Chemicals in the brain are way too powerful to be messed with indiscriminantly. (I'm a psych student and it terrifies me knowing what some of those drugs can do and how frequently they're pushed!) Lots of "wonder pills" are overprescribed nowadays, unfortunately. :(

I'm just glad you lived through your ordeal, Coolgamer, and here's hoping things get better for you. We're here for you if you need anything!

Cheers,
~gelfling

I know all too well what that's like... I battled depression for a number of years when I was younger...

I discovered about 10 years ago that I have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), and I was in therapy for a while. They prescribed a couple of different medications to try to help me focus...

First, they tried Prozac. It took away my depression, alright... along with my creativity and any form of emotion whatsoever...

Then I tried Paxil... almost immediately, I began feeling "different." I'm not kidding when I say I literally felt the electrical impulses in my head. It didn't "feel" right, so I stopped that too. I soon came to the realization that medication was just "masking" the main problems that caused my depression.

Different things work for different people... but talking to others always seems to be one of the best solutions. The comments everyone left for me after the whole "Andrea" thing really helped me put everything into focus. Granted, I still have my moments where I think about it and get sad, but I know that I have friends here who listen and I'm trying my best to move on from that experience.

Even though I don't know you that well, I'm glad you're okay. :)

I took Ridelin when it was still in it's experimental stage. In fact, my dad thinks that's why I balded so early. I beat our entire family in that regard! LOL!

By today's definition of ADHD, I was definately that.

and it's helped the situation I'm in with Carol's youngest, who is similarily affected.