I know this group well enough to know I can do this....

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
I know most of the people who come to this site... and they are good loving, wonderful people with hearts of gold...

I need some prayers guys....

A friend of mine is now in the hospital with toxemia and she's in her second trimester of her pregnancy. Her husband is trying to be strong, but emotions have a way of eating that away. If you could please pray for them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys...

MJ

Aw gee... :(

I'm so sorry to hear this, hon. I promise to say a prayer for them (and for you too, of course).

Well, I'm not a very religious girl, (actually I'm not at all) but your friend will certainly be in my thoughts. I hope that she'll be all right as long as her baby, I truly hope so, because I love kids and I know how hard it is to loose a child (actually, it was a sister for me, when I was 5 years old, but that's another story...)

I was wondering, what exactly is toxemia? Is this one of those diseases when your baby gets malformations due to it? I sincerely hope not.

Well, hope everything will be all right, MJ. I'll keep in mind that event and hope it all turns out well.

Clara

Clara,

No, it's nothing that could malform the baby...

Pre-eclampsia or Toxemia: Describes a combination of symptoms significant to pregnancy, which disappear with the birth of the baby.
Symptoms include: Swelling, protein in the urine, hypertension (high blood pressure), a change in reflexes; other symptoms could include headaches, seeing spots or changes in vision. These are all warning signs. Pre-eclampsia can be very serious if not treated and can progress to eclampsia. Which refers to seizures or convulsions in women.

The good thing about this is that they caught it. It's something that you don't want to have... but.... I had it a mild case of it when I was pregnant with the twins.

Treatment for Pre-eclampsia: Complete bedrest; increased intake of fluids, and avoid salty foods or foods high in sodium.

They could induce labor if things don't look good for any reason. At six months along... it's something that you don't want to happen....

So... thus the prayers.

In my case, I put it in my head that I wasn't going to let my "kids" at school be the end result of MY children. I told them as such... and it didn't hurt when my principal took me in my room, sat me in my chair and told me to teach in my chair with my feet up. When I got home, I relaxed on the couch... let the house go to crap around me... and just decided to crochet and write...

Please just pray for my friends... I know they've been in my constant prayers. That child is a gift... period.

Thanks guys.

MJ

MJ

You can rest assured your friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I know the heartache of having lost an unborn child (though in different circumstances) and hope to God that your friend will carry hers full term.

May He wrap his healing arms around them.

Some praises and some more prayers....

There are more than praises to give here.....

Though it's been a rough 3 days for their family, they added a new member yesterday, February 15. She weighs 2 lbs, 10 ounces and is 15 inches long... she's perfect... but two months early.

Mom is doing okay... and they plan on releasing her in a couple of days. They just want to make sure that her blood pressure is coming down and the what not.

The little sweetness that God let come into this world came out breathing on her own... and is showing no signs of danger, however, they do have oxygen tubes going into her lungs just to help out. They are being overly cautious and Lord knows they need to be. They've done tests and are awaiting to hear the final word from the radiologist but the nurse said it seemed very optimistic. They even said that her skin color is very pink - almost red - and that it's a good sign as well... even daddy says that his little girl has "spunk" and has quite a grip. *soft giggle*

This little girl needs to be in everyone's thoughts and prayers and it's not going to be easy on mom and dad when the hospital wants to keep the baby until late April.

I haven't told them that I've had people praying on my group list here for them... but... I will tonight. This is a blessing... and thank you Lord for bringing them through it so far... just keep it going until late April.

I know that I haven't said names... and I don't think that I need to.... Any child / mother / father deserves the prayers... especially in a time of need... and well... yeah, I know that you could pray specificially by name... but... when it comes down to it... God knows who you are talking about... :D

Thanks so far... for the prayers... I know that God heard them.

MJ

Re: Some praises and some more prayers....

That's wonderful news, MJ! :D

My cousin gave birth to a "cheeseburger" (her baby was 2 pounds, 1 ounce when he was born) some years back, and though he had some health problems when he was a very small baby, he's grown to be a very healthy young boy. I will continue to pray for your friends and for the health of their new baby girl.

Here's to new life and continued health :cheers (I assure you that is quite non-alcoholic).

-Biridox

Edit: Don't mind the edit. I just misspelled "news."

Re: Some praises and some more prayers....

Wow - two months early! But, that's okay - I'm living proof that losing those two months doesn't have an effect. I'm glad that she was born healthy (breathing on her own is great!) and I'm happy for the new parents.

I'll still keep a thought for them...
~gelfling

Re: Thanks, everyone

Oh, wow! Congratulations, Shane! I second everything Brian just said, and will also continue to pray for the health of you and yours. Nevada, huh? I love the name (very cute!), but I'm curious as to how you came up with it. Is she named after the state, or does it hold some other special meaning for you? Or did it just sound nice? :D

Get some rest, Shane. It sounds like you've had a rough week.

-Biridox

Re: Thanks, everyone

:eek YOU were the "friend," Shane?

Well, I've got to say I'm a bit shocked. These past few months, I'm finding out a lot of things about people from this board that I never suspected, but in this case, I guess I can understand why you were private about it.

All the same, I'm happy for you, man! I'll continue to keep Nevada in my prayers. Congratulations! :)

Re: Friends

My prayers were there, for any friend of MJ's is on my books too,
but I am more than doubly delighted to know that Nevada is safely delivered now I know she is your daughter, Shane.

I hope and trust that she and your wife Amanda continue to do well, buddy, and that the worst is over. Take care of yourself, and get plenty of rest, build up your strength - you are gonna need it when your two lovely ladies get home!

If my arms were long enough to span "the pond" I'd give you a great big hug. It is with you in spirit.

Congratulations on becoming a father, Shane, and I'll continue to pray for your family until you tell us all is well. (and beyond)

Love

Wow... this is huge news. I'm glad that Nevada arrived safely after such a thing to happen: too bad I didn't read this earlier so that my prayers would be in the "pool" so to speak. ;)

Anyway, congratulations to you and Amanda, Shane, and I will be praying for the health and comfort of all three of you! (Congrats on being married, too. :lol )

May God be with you all,

... Mike. ^_^

I prayed for the "friend", and I'm glad that things are going okay. And I'm reluctantly admitting that I feel even more glad simply because of *who* it was I was praying for who received the blessings.

Congratulations on your new baby, Shane. I'm so very happy for you and your wife.

Joy

An Update....

Just an update to let you guys know how Nevada, Amanda and Shane are. :D

Well... first and foremost, those of you who have been praying for this sweet little girl, her mother and her father -- thank you. :)

Things are looking good for right now. Not much has changed, other than another day... and the love that continue to grows in our hearts for this beautiful baby. (Yea... I have a picture... and if it's okay with Shane, I'll post it later...)

By tonight at 7:00 PM, will mark the third day of Nevada's life on this planet -- the crucial three day mark. As of last night (when I got the e-mail) Shane is worried that her mind won't be affected from being born early. He wants perfection... (just like always) and who wouldn't when it comes to their child? But Amanda and Shane both believe that Nevada Mae has a fighting chance in this world. ((I know it... the faith in me won't let me think otherwise.))

I'm sure that Amanda is having it rough having to stay in the hospital - away from her baby... (at least until Friday) ... then I doubt that she'll leave Nevada's side.

As for Shane... the boy needs sleep and rest. He hasn't slept in over three days and promised Mandy that he would TRY to last night... I don't know if he succeeded in that... but those of you who are parents (and even those who are not) know that kids will drain you of life if you don't get your rest.

And we all know Shane and how passionate he is about things.... well, this IS his baby girl... the one that already has her daddy wrapped around her little teeny-tiny pinkie. So... any and all prayers for him to actually get some sleep without one of us beating him with a hammer would be wonderful! And I'm not talking about the drugged rest. I mean natural rest. Both Shane and Mandy need it. :)

See... the mom in me is coming out... because... I KNOW what it's like! I've been there.

So.... there's the update. :)

Here's to praying for Nevada, Mandy and Shane.

Thanks
MJ

Re: An Update....

Holy Guacamole'!

Shane! You devil!! LOL!

Well, first of all, congrats on the marraige. Secondly, a big congrats on the birth of your angel... and yes, I've indeed been pulling for you and your loved ones!

Keep us updated you two! And yes, pictures would be wonderous news indeed!

Matt
grouphug.gif

All the best to a dear, dear friend and your new family. May God be with you all always...

And not forgetting the grandparents, being a grandmother myself, I know how traumatic these times can be for them also, you're all in my prayers.

I did say that when I got permission, I would do this...

Everyone... meet Nevada Mae Devon... the angel we've been praying for.

NevadaMaeDevon1a.jpg

Shane wanted to let you guys know that he appreciates all the prayers and thanks you for keeping his family in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks guys...

MJ

Oh, oh, oh! How adorable! :D

Do you see that? The way she's got her "good side" facing toward the camera and she's looking right into it? You've got a little miniature star there, Shane! :D

-Biridox

She's gonna be a heartbreaker, just like her dad. :cheers on a beautiful daughter.

Oh, Shane, she is so CUTE!!! I can only hope she grows up be be a beautiful little girl when she gets older. I hope she gets better. And I also hope she comes home as soon as possible.

Well, I keep all of you in my thoughts, hoping for the best for all of you (as I said before, I do not pray since I'm not a typical religious kind of person, so saying I will pray would be an empty promise, and I don't like to make such promises, since they mean nothing to me.) So get better, Nevada, and you and your wife too, Shane. The best to all of you.

Clara

Update No. 2

:hurray

What am I clapping about? Ohhhhhhh just that the prayer ball has grown and has began to bounce because God's been answering them left and right. That's why!

:hurray

I talked to Shane for a few minutes this afternoon... actually a few minutes ago. :)

He's doing okay.. he's smiling... and for good reason.

First and foremost, Amanda is back home. She came home from the hospital on Thursday.

"Nevada has improved quite a bit except for her body isn't producing surfactan," Shane says. When asked what that stuff was, he said, "Surfactan is the stuff that keeps your lungs from sticking together when you breath."

This is a normal thing that happens for twins that are born prematurely as well. Now, they can give shots to the baby to help them produce the surfactan to seal the lungs and stop them from sticking together.

(They've learned a lot since some twins were born 27 years ago. A teacher friend who's twins are 27 years old told me that they didn't have the injection that Nevada is getting. Back then, they had to regulate the respirator and check the baby's blood to make sure that it was okay every 30 minutes. Mrs. Miller went so far as to tell me that her twins also had to get blood transfusions.)

Nevada, however, has been getting this injection for about a week and it just isn't working yet. (I was told that this injection does take some time to work... so, I'm thinking that yes, eventually, it will.)

Shane also told me that, "She's actually taking formula now. It's through a tube, but it's actual food." Good news! KUDOS to Nevada! :p She's eating at least and that's ALWAYS a good sign.

Also, "Nevada's oxygen is at 30% now. It varies from day to day. They're trying to get it down to 21% (the amount we breathe)." That's not bad either. 9 more percent and they can pull that yucky tube out.

Amanda is doing much better. :p She spent the night in Evansille with Nevada on Friday and tonight, she's home with Shane, but they are both going back up tomorrow to be once again with their sweetness.

Like I said, Shane's smiling and in a good mood, but he even told me that there are days when it varies. Heck, he's human, I understand that one.

I told Shane that everything is a good sign. Him smiling, Nevada taking her formula, Mandy's out of the hospital... that is just prayers being answered.

Shane just answered, "100%! We need to keep this prayer ball rolling."

I told him that before too long it would just roll away from him... and that he'd won't be able to catch up and then eventually when he does, that he'll be going nuts from all the questions of "Why?" and the little, "I love you, Daddy"s.

This answer I wasn't surprised at one iota... " No, no. I live for that sort of thing."

Shane also told me that he comes by Al's Place every day to check on things... so... if you want to leave him a message here... go for it. :p He's becoming the ever watchful father that we know that he'll be.

((Boys... run...)) :lol

So, the summary:
Prayers for the surfactan (or the medicine for the surfactan) to help seal Nevada's lungs to work quickly and for the oxygen level to decrease enough so that the oxygen tube can be taken away.

End of update... but Shane's promised to keep me updated... so until the next one. :)

MJ