At Last! A Screen Accurate Functional Gummy Bear Handlink!

Al_Calavicci

Project QL Intern
Apr 19, 2009
One of the dreams of any true Quantum Leap fan has finally been answered,and boy was it worth the wait! “Feldon30” had sent me a message many months ago,about “ReplicaProps” working on a project to build a screen accurate,fully functioning replica is Al’s “Gummy Bear” handlink and I just ran across a video on YouTube of the completed handlink and it’s fantastic!
For the amount of effort put into this the price is a bargain! I have to compliment feldon30 and ReplicaProps for their dedication,research and hard work in bringing this to life! Absolutely amazing! Now maybe you guys can get to work on a replica of als car from the first episode. How about a fully functioning imaging chamber? I don’t ask much,do I? Lol!

Hers a link!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRakmX-jt70

Last edited by a moderator:
And another video,showing the unboxing of one! It’s much more dramatic in this video because the lights really show,and you get to hear the other sounds! I love the fact it squawks when you hit the side and the speed of the lights can be adjusted. The sound in the videos is amazingly clear and clean! I can only imagine what it must sound like in real life!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1loCr8HStv4

I’m going to have to scrape together the money to get one! Ziggy center me in on $600!

I actually tried building one myself in the early 90’s from acrylic when the show was still on the air,lol! Well it only took nearly 3 decades to finally see this become a reality. Once again,top notch work guys!

Here’s a link to the replica props forum where you can buy one!

http://www.replicaprops.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you like it. Replica Props had gotten the acrylic shell near-perfect and was looking at electronics solutions. That's when I reached out to him and offered to take a whack at it. It took me some time, but I kept wailing away on it until I was happy with it. I have to give credit to Matt Dale (author of Beyond the Mirror Image) who graciously went through every episode through seasons 3, 4, and 5 to make sure we had every single sound represented. We ended up with 6 different "shake" sounds, two startup sounds, all the bleeps and bloops, as well as a fun easter egg mode. It runs for 10-12 hours on a charge, which is done through standard microUSB.

We're also very close to shipping a Wristlink (prominently seen worn by Scott and Mimi (Donna) in The Leap Back).

We also got some very kind words from the original creator of the Gummi Bear handlinks and wristlink John Riley. He said we got it very close on both props.

“Feldon”,I’m so sorry it took me this long to reply. Just sent you a PM. You’re all to be commended for finally bringing this much desired piece to fruition. I have Matt Dales book too. He did a great job compiling the sound effects. Did you end up getting them from the show directly,or did you find sound effects masters from the jetsons?

It saddens me to see the lack of activity on this site these days. That’s one of the reasons I don’t check back so often anymore. It seems like nobody’s ever here.

I thought this was a great show. I guess it’s forgotten these days. I still can’t believe it’s been over 3 decades now since the show debuted. How could 31 years have gone by? I need to get to work on my own time machine. Haha.

I hope there will be another leapcon in southern California so Dean and Scott can be reunited one more time.

I think everyone's over at Facebook now. There's a group called Quantum Leap Fans with over 2,000 members. We talked a lot about the original filmed ending, the meaning of Mirror Image, etc.

I think everyone's over at Facebook now. There's a group called Quantum Leap Fans with over 2,000 members. We talked a lot about the original filmed ending, the meaning of Mirror Image, etc.

So is this the end of Al’s place then? I wonder what the driving force is behind that? What about those of us who don’t have Facebook? A lot of time was put into AlsPlace and other websites. What made people suddenly gravitate to Facebook over dedicated websites?

I’ve noticed this happening on classic car forums as well with people positing stuff for sale on Facebook. It’s really frustrating,you sign up for one site dedicated to a subject,then it changes and you have to go somewhere else because stuff gets scattered all over the place at other sites.

So is this the end of Al’s place then? I wonder what the driving force is behind that? What about those of us who don’t have Facebook? A lot of time was put into AlsPlace and other websites. What made people suddenly gravitate to Facebook over dedicated websites?

I’ve noticed this happening on classic car forums as well with people positing stuff for sale on Facebook. It’s really frustrating,you sign up for one site dedicated to a subject,then it changes and you have to go somewhere else because stuff gets scattered all over the place at other sites.
I've been running Forums for 25 years. I'm not happy about the situation either but forums face 4 problems:

• Forums generally suck on a mobile phone. Love it or hate it, 60% of internet use is now done on a mobile phone.
  • Uploading photos to most forums is a pain in the ***
  • Each forum requires you to register and maintain an account with them
  • Keeping up with 5 forums requires constantly logging into and visiting 5 different websites. E-mails help, but it's still a drudgery to keep up with everything.
  • There's a learning curve. It's not big, but it's enough to annoy computer beginners.

In contrast Facebook has:
  • A billion users already there with accounts.
  • It works great on a phone
  • All the content from all the different groups and people you follow is mixed together in a single scrolling timeline, so as long you keep scrolling you keep up with everything
  • As soon as there is activity in a group you follow, you get a Notification. As soon as someone replies to you, you get a notification.
  • It's stupid easy to use.
I don't want to encourage anyone to get a Facebook account. That's entirely a personal preference thing. And they absolutely suck at privacy. BUT I will say that there is still interest in Quantum Leap, and every other topic you can imagine. It's just happening elsewhere. Is it worth paying the price to not miss out? That's up to you. I'm in 5 gardening groups and every day there are hundreds of posts of interesting stuff. No wonder Facebook is so addictive.

Last edited:
I've been running Forums for 25 years. I'm not happy about the situation either but forums face 4 problems:

• Forums generally suck on a mobile phone. Love it or hate it, 60% of internet use is now done on a mobile phone.
  • Uploading photos to most forums is a pain in the ***
  • Each forum requires you to register and maintain an account with them
  • Keeping up with 5 forums requires constantly logging into and visiting 5 different websites. E-mails help, but it's still a drudgery to keep up with everything.
  • There's a learning curve. It's not big, but it's enough to annoy computer beginners.

In contrast Facebook has:
  • A billion users already there with accounts.
  • It works great on a phone
  • All the content from all the different groups and people you follow is mixed together in a single scrolling timeline, so as long you keep scrolling you keep up with everything
  • As soon as there is activity in a group you follow, you get a Notification. As soon as someone replies to you, you get a notification.
  • It's stupid easy to use.
I don't want to encourage anyone to get a Facebook account. That's entirely a personal preference thing. And they absolutely suck at privacy. BUT I will say that there is still interest in Quantum Leap, and every other topic you can imagine. It's just happening elsewhere. Is it worth paying the price to not miss out? That's up to you. I'm in 5 gardening groups and every day there are hundreds of posts of interesting stuff. No wonder Facebook is so addictive.

Thanks for all the work you’ve put into Al’s Place. I’m glad at least you understand and feel the same way about people abandoning the forums. I’m not happy about it either. I often use a smartphone and have never had an issue using Al’sPlace or any other site. I prefer these more detailed sites to mobile apps which tend to be more simplistic and dumbed down.

I also agree with you about Facebook and privacy issues. I don’t like them because of that. It’s also my understanding that I can’t create a profile under “Al Calavicci” to use Facebook. They require you to give personal info and I don’t feel comfortable doing that. Guess I’m old fashioned. I liked these forums dedicated to specific topics. It centralized Quantum Leap fans,now everyone’s scattered all over the internet and there’s even more passwords and sites to remember.

Everytime I log into AL’s Place I feel sad. I’m usually the one here! Ziggy,center me on Sam! Lol.

I’m guessing this move to

I'm actually off of Facebook now. Guess if I want to talk Quantum Leap, it's here or nowhere.

Yeah. I got the boot, and after a few days I'm glad I'm not there anymore, even though I miss the communities and the interaction, it's a parasite of a website sucking the soul right out of our country. Other than that it's spiffy. :)

If you use Skype, Google Hangouts, Discord, etc. let me know.