I Need Copyright Approval...

I have an idea...

I think instead of selling a "Handlink" im going to sale the buyer a "box of acrylic".... What that person will recieve is a box with "an item in 2 pieces"..... What they do with those 2 pieces is totally up to them. All there buying is "pieces" but when put together..... (2 screws and thats all that will be needed) Then they can call it what they like.... sound good???:help

That won't absolve you of any copyright or intellectual property issues. It will still be quite clear what the intent is. Basically, if you are going to go ahead and do this, you need to do it with the full knowledge and understanding that it is within Universal's rights to either issue a Cease and Desist or even take it as far as filing a lawsuit.

As has been pointed out, through the extensive posting regarding this on this board it's highly unlike it will fly under Universal's radar. You have also made publicly known your intentions.

The simple fact is, short of actually getting permission from Universal to use their intellectual property, there really is no way to do this without there being a risk of legal action from Universal.

Jmoniz said:
As has been pointed out, through the extensive posting regarding this on this board it's highly unlike it will fly under Universal's radar. You have also made publicly known your intentions.

Yes, and as Brian stated there is a very small chance that they may even glance at this thread since they are aquanted with him and have assisted him in the past with site events.

I have to agree hun that there is really no safe way around Universal's wrath when it comes to this deed.

NeuroMason said:
I think instead of selling a "Handlink" im going to sale the buyer a "box of acrylic".... What that person will recieve is a box with "an item in 2 pieces"..... What they do with those 2 pieces is totally up to them. All there buying is "pieces" but when put together..... (2 screws and thats all that will be needed) Then they can call it what they like.... sound good???:help

If you're that insistent about making these, just sell them privately. The buyer will just have to use discretion and hope it's a smooth transaction. Not that I'm implying you'd steal anyone's money or anything. It's just a risky thing for a buyer to do without the safety net of eBay, where people can get reported, etc. ;)

Ha Ha your right.. well, ive had plenty of offers from people wanting one of these but i can't help but get that strange feeling that i might be getting set up! lol so i just tell everybody that i can't sale any right now until i know something more... Its just sad that i put all this hard work into these and even though i originally intended to only build one for myself, i know that there are other people out there that want one as well... I do know that i CAN Trade for certain things.... No money involved... If anybody has a nice '89 Batman Costume out there i might consider that.. or any kind of "Highlander Prop" ... Im big into movie props and television props.. Mainly the ones ive already mentioned...

I Just Talked To somebody not long ago about building a '89 Batmobile Replica and i asked them how they could do that without getting in Trouble (Theyve built quite a few of these) and he said that The company that created the Design.... LOST the Rights to the Batmobile Design! He said that unless they keep Re-newing the License to keep the copyright that they automaticaly lose the Rights.... He said alot of companys don't really care after a certain period of time goes by so they just never re-new. Its just costing them extra money. Maybe thats why people can build the Batmobile and Knight Rider car as well as the Back To the Future Delorean without getting in Trouble.

IP rights

While it is true that patent protection must be kept up, the same is not true of copyright. Copyright USED to require registration but hasn't for sometime. Renewals are required at certain timeframes (when the common law expiration of copyright would take effect otherwise.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ22.html

However, I believe there may be a different situation in the case of the 'cars.'

Since copyright covers books, musical recordings, software, photographs, paintings and other visual art forms, plays and other performance arts, I'm not sure that copywrite is the right format for protection of a 'product' such as vehicle modifications (I may be wrong about that...see my statement at the end of this post.) Those may be under 'patent' protection. If so, as I said before, patent licenses must be kept up or they can be lost (read the part about maintenance fees.)

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/patent/patent-cost/

Now...I'm the first to say, I'm not an intellectual property lawyer. If you really want the scoop on what is legal and what is not legal, go to one of them. You'll pay some bucks for their expertise, but ultimately, you'll have the answers that fit the case you're questioning.

There is a certain amount of knowledge common to intellectual property (including the information that I learned in school which is what I've been basing my information on) and pretty much this is it in a nutshell: if someone else created it, there's likely protection available to them so be really careful before stomping on someone's intellectual property rights just because you want to do something with them (whether for fun or profit.) Legally, one can get up a tree rather quickly and if the person that owns the intellectual property is protected, ignorance of the actual law (e.g. going off of conjecture as to what's legal or not) will not protect you. Going into court with a defense of "I heard from some people on an internet forum that it was ok to do this or other people were able to do this and didn't have any problems" is just asking for a judgement against you. Sure, the intellectual property owner may never take you to court, but you have to ask yourself if you *really want* to take that risk. Up to you though. Just don't walk in blind.

Anybody wanting a handlink replica im still making them so please feel free to contact me. Im currently looking into even better materials to make them out of but the cost may go up just a tiny bit. Other than that these handlinks are very very cool! Hope to hear from you!!

Neuro_Mason;)