Al will be to old

Z

ziggycowan

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if all the stories concerning the timing of the new movie are true, then how on earth can they expect Al to feature. He was relatively old by the end of the original series, he will be incredibly old by the timing of the new movie.

Actually, the new movie is supposed to take place in our present day. At the end of "Mirror Image," the present (according to the series) was 1999. So figure the new movie premiers in 2006, that makes our present 7 years after the series' present. Therefore Al and Sam are technically only 7 years older than we last saw them which would make Sam 53-years-old. Since Al's age was never revealed (the year of his birth was never stated), the producers could play around with his actual age if they feel the need to, but of course he is also 7 years older from the end of "Mirror Image." So therefore, the new movie kind of HAS to take place in our present for these reasons alone (not even for anything concerning Sammy Jo), otherwise our main characters would have for sure been too old and they might have had to write in some lame time-travel explanation to keep them younger or something.

I thought it was implied in the Leap Back that Al had leaped to either the day of his birth or at least the year, in which case, Al would have been born in 1945 making him 7 or 8 years older than Sam.

Although, Dean Stockwell is much older than that, so maybe that wasn't right at all!

Actually, the year of his birth was indirectly revealed in "A Leap For Lisa" if you do the math: Al told Sam he leaped into Bingo on "June 25, 1957, which would make you... I mean, me... 23..." or something to that effect. And in "The Leap Back," his birthday is revealed to be June 15, which means that Al was born on June 15, 1934.

I read that the new show would start 16 years later than when it left off. Using real time is a good idea.

Nice catch, Damon! Actually, as long as Al is always an observer, it really doesn't matter how old he is, because his position as a hologram doesn't require any of the daunting physical tasks that Sam has to endure while leaping. For Sam on the other hand, if he was Al's age, which according to Damon would be 72 in "A Bold Leap Forward" (assuming it comes out in 2006), it just wouldn't be plausible.

At 53 obviously it's easier to kick butt than 72 :b . Even in the "Quantum Leap: The Complete A-Z" book by Louis Chunovic, there's a page that has Al's stats and it says the year of his birth is "Unknown, estimate 1940" if I remember correctly. Then again the copy I have is not the updated version after the series had ended so Al's age probably wasn't established yet at that point.

I don't think Al would be too old. Just look ar Kirk in the last few orginal Star Trek movies.

Also, if you look at The Next Generation and Star Trek: Nemesis, you'll see how much older Data looks. Androids aren't supposed to age at all.

In Star trek Data was meant to age, he was built to live like a human.

Data

Actually, remember "All Good Things..."? Picard was in the future, and Data "aged" himself by adding a white streak to his hair. He wasn't supposed to age.

I recall them saying for "Nemesis", Data had an aging chip implanted, or something ridiculous like that...

... Mike. ^_^

Re: Data

Yes thats right, how could i have forgot, gosh is been awhile since I've seen that episode.

Al

OK not sure if this link will go but if it does I have to make a comment, here is Al now. Yes he is old but look at that look, he's got that sincere look in his eyes. He's old yes but still can act in movies just fine. If he gives this look in A bold Leap forward all the time i'm going to cry though the whole thing.

us.movies1.yimg.com/movie...ooming.jpg

Re: Al

Personally, I don't care if they have to mess up the timeline to get it to what they want....if Al has to be a tad old, numbers can be fudged a little (or not mentioned at all) and Dean is still very active (not as much as 15 years ago, but come on.....aging does that ;) ) and besides.....I just REALLY REALLY want to see Dean in it (I didn't have a better reason than that! :nut

newleaper

Well, shoot, maybe in the QL universe they've discovered a medicine/injection that can stop and/or reverse aging. So, Al could end up being however old Trey and Don want.

I'm just thrilled that Dean will be on BLF full-time. It'll be a pleasure to see Dean on a weekly basis.

Joy

Amen to that, Joy!!!

And I believe that Al, like Dean, will always be, instead of so many years "old"--so many years YOUNG! :)

Al....

Well, now that "Enterprise" has been officially cancelled by The Powers That Be at Paramount/UPN, perhaps Scott will have some time to work on the new series. Poor Scott; it seems that whenever he has a steady acting job in a series, it gets cancelled. Does that make any sense? As for Al, I think it will be great to see Dean Stockwell back on TV again. Do you think his clothing will be more conservative, or will he still be wearing his zany outfits from the original series? Only time will tell... (Sorry for the bad pun) :)

> Al....

Definitely will still be wearing his zany outfits. Those outfits were his trademark! I do think he'll have a brand new handlink, however.

I don't think Al will be too old. Stockwell made an appearance in Enterprise episode "Detained" and seemed to be in pretty good shape for that, so I think the character will be just fine.

The P Man

Al in normal clothes? It just can't be! Although I can imagine Beth giving him a hard time about his fashion sense ;)

Thats right Al has had a happy marrage. No more confudion over which wife is taking him to court.
I wonder how else he would have changed.

i dont think Al will be too old. What about PQL and stuff though?:disbelief . I mean they Just cant go and like I read one version of A bold leap foreward and it said that al went back into like a ladys body, and al was married to Beth and had 4 daughters. I am not sure though might have been someones made up idea .
-admiralal90:hurray:

I think it really depends on the setting of the film after 'Mirror Image' - if they go for something a few years after the events of Mirror Image, then that will be a simple explanation for Al being older.

I've seen him in quite a few things since QL anyway - he doesn't seem to be looking much older than around the time of the show. I don't think it would really be a problem anyway, since most of the physical stuff was left to Scott Bakula/Sam, and will undoubtedly be left to whoever plays Sammy Jo in this.

ziggycowan said:
Im not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if all the stories concerning the timing of the new movie are true, then how on earth can they expect Al to feature. He was relatively old by the end of the original series, he will be incredibly old by the timing of the new movie.

ya know, i have been pondering that same thing ziggy.

admiralal90 said:
i dont think Al will be too old. What about PQL and stuff though?:disbelief . I mean they Just cant go and like I read one version of A bold leap foreward and it said that al went back into like a ladys body, and al was married to Beth and had 4 daughters. I am not sure though might have been someones made up idea .
-admiralal90:hurray:
Not really sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like you're referring to the alternate ending that Donald Bellisario originally wrote for "Mirror Image" before he knew the series would be cancelled. After Sam changes Al's past, it flashes forward to the year 2000 (which was PQL's present at that time) and Al tells Beth that he knows that Sam has leaped into the future, far beyond his lifetime. The only way he can find Sam is by leaping to Al's Place, since he can no longer access it through the Imaging Chamber. The Bartender then sends Al into the future as a woman, which would have been the cliffhanger into Season 6.

This ending was never filmed, however. There hasn't been any indication that this plotline will carry over into A Bold Leap Forward.