Ghost Ship

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Ghost Ship
August 13, 1956

The Bermuda Triangle

After all this leaping, Sam still hasn't learned to fly, and he is once again the pilot of a private jet taking a newlywed couple through the Bermuda Triangle. When his co-pilot begins having strange flashbacks from a war mission, Sam must bring him back to reality while taking care of the woman whose appendix has burst.

Teleplay by: Donald P. Bellisario & Paul Brown
Story by: Paris Qualles & Donald P. Bellisario
Directed by: Anita Addison

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
this was not one of my favorite episodes, i mean i loved the whole bramuta triangle thing but the thing with the woman and her appendix freaked me out, medical stuff like that freaks me out. although when i saw it a second time it was not so bad.

I like the "Kiss with History" in this episode concerning the USS Cyclops. It really did disappear in the Bermuda Triangle and has never been found since.

Kat

I thought this episode was good, but not excellent, even though I accidentally clicked excellent. Just one thing stuck with me - Al is usually such a skeptic, I wasn't expecting him to believe in the Bermuda Triangle.

Cpt Jules said:
I like the "Kiss with History" in this episode concerning the USS Cyclops. It really did disappear in the Bermuda Triangle and has never been found since.

Kat
Well I am kind of bored so I looked up The Brumoda Triangle a few minutes ago and read a thing on it.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq8-1.htm

The Brumuda Triangle as described on this website is actually an imaginary phenominon however the USS Cyclops indeed really disappeared in the believed area. There were also other disappearences just like it. The most famous one besides the USS Cyclops which took place in 1918 was The Aircraft of Flight 19 in December 1945(Say didn't our heros visit that time period ;) ). No one knows what happened to eaither craft, the Navy does not believe in the Bermuda Triangle(except for our favorite Admiral of course hehe) and suspect that the ship(the USS Cyclops) probably sank in an unexpected storm and the aircraft ran out of fuel and crashed but no reminants have ever been found.

Navel Historical Center(the webiste I desplay above) said:
significant factor with regard to missing vessels in the Bermuda Triangle is a strong ocean current called the Gulf Stream. It is extremely swift and turbulent and can quickly erase evidence of a disaster. The weather also plays its role. Prior to the development of telegraph, radio and radar, sailors did not know a storm or hurricane was nearby until it appeared on the horizon.

It has been inaccurately claimed that the Bermuda Triangle is one of the two places on earth at which a magnetic compass points towards true north. Normally a compass will point toward magnetic north. The difference between the two is known as compass variation. The amount of variation changes by as much as 60 degrees at various locations around the World. If this compass variation or error is not compensated for, navigators can find themselves far off course and in deep trouble. Although in the past this compass variation did affect the "Bermuda Triangle" region, due to fluctuations in the Earth's magnetic field this has apparently not been the case since the nineteenth century.
I just wanted to share that last thing because I found it really interesting and if you remember on board the plane in the episode, their compass did go wonkey until the exited the triangle. This would explain that. I may have to watch this ep with my workout tomorrow, this research has me intriged.

EDIT: I am watching it now before bed instead, I could not wait hehe so I am going to watch Justice during my workout tomorrow instead. hehe.

LOL!
Sam: They say in an emergency the best thing to do is put your head between your knees. I guess that makes it easier to kiss your butt goodbye.

Last edited:
I thought this episode was just a bit below Excellent. I really enjoyed it.it was quite intersting,in my opinion.The idea itself wasn't something to remember,but i do think the story itself were well written. Now i believe ,that if we'll ignore, for a moment "honeymoon Express" first 3 minutes, that was the shortest time Sam spend on one of his leaps,during the show(i think it was a leap of 3 or 4 hours,wasn't it?). And i think it was one of the things,that really made me really appreciate and value this episode so much,because it just prove DBP was the best writer in the show. Only he could do it so well.

I like the vibe of this episode, more than the story. It's creepy and suspenseful, and I like the escalating sense of panic. The unexplained sight gag with the IV bag cracks me right up every time.

I thought the plot line was kind of thin, and the wierd stuff, like sighting the Liberty ship and the pilot having been rescued by a ship that sank decades before, turned me off.
Which is inconsistant, because the premise of the show isn't exactly logical, but I love it!

I really enjoyed this one, had me sitting on the edge of my seat and casting my mountains of filing aside. Al was a bit silly in this one too, a little on the dumb side, but Sam was wonderful as usual, I'd be quite happy for him to play doctor to me anytime he liked!!!

I liked the whole burst appendix and the shell-shock bit in the epsiode, and I liked Sam's "leap in" reaction as well.

I rated "good" as there were bits that I enjoyed but at the same time it was quite boring.

I really wanted more Bermuda Triangle Mythology in this episode. The newlywed's appendicitis attack and PTDS of the pilot was valid, but somehow it felt like they were all different stories that were rushed and didn't quite mesh well. Every time I saw the pilot/copilot/cabin attendant in the cockpit, I thought of that comedy about an airliner.

The kids and I discussed concrete ships and how they could stay afloat/why anyone would want one, lol. I liked the creepy twist ending of
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
the pilot being saved by a ship that went missing years before his crash.

Al hanging out on the outside of the plane was funny, lol.

LOL!
Sam: They say in an emergency the best thing to do is put your head between your knees. I guess that makes it easier to kiss your butt goodbye.
We liked that line, too.