Home

The Leap Back 2009 Convention Forum

Contact

Old 04-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

Default Things we may have missed

I figured it would be a good idea for a thread about guests and panels we may have missed. I know we all did not get to see everything. Then others who did see those panels can fill in the details.

I will start off - I only got to see part of Deborah Pratt reading her QL novel. Did she say if she has a publishing deal yet? Permission from Universal?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Josh
Control Room Technician

I missed all the panels on day one, and only saw two panels on day two (the first one, and the one with John and Brad), and of course I saw Scott and Don. So any information on what Tom missed or what I did would be helpful.

I guess that's there the DVD comes in. Is there an ETA on that?

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
ris768
Pulse Communications Technician

Hey Tom, I came in when Deborah was showing some slide show presentation and then she went on to read her very rough draft start on her Quantum Leap novel. She didn't say anythhing that will answer your questions but I am assuming that because she is already a published author she has a publisher. I don't think she needs permission from Universal to write a novel but she will if she wants to make it into a movie. Personally I can't wait until she finishes the story.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
QL Damsel
Al's Place / TVS Administrator

I'm sure that as soon as Brian has an inkling of when the DVD Audio may come out of the convention that he'll definitely post it here on the site. Don't worry about that. He's really good about getting things out and done for us - I mean, come on... he's the Bartender!

I missed a few things but you know, when it comes all down to it, I'm so grateful for everything that if I missed it... it's okay. I'm soaring so high right now, I don't think that anyone can honestly bring me down.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
EmmaCMF
Leaper

It's going to be a while for the DVD, folks - there's got to be about thirty or forty hours of videotape to go through and edit, so it's not going to be a quick process.

EmmaCMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

I have taken a suggestion from Morgan and hope to get all the hours put on a disc in computer file format so that they can be watched on the computer, even if at a lower quality picture. We also want to put out a main disc with a couple of hours of highlights. All in the works - just need to find a good way to do it first.

If anyone knows a good DVD authoring company (Morgan?) that can handle something like this for relatively low cost, please send me contact info.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

Well for a QL novel Deborah needs the publishing rights from Universal. I don't think that should be much of a problem though. Considering no one is currently publishing QL books.

When she is finished it would be amazing if there was an audio book. Either with a single reader or a full cast audio dramatization.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
QL Damsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos View Post
Well for a QL novel Deborah needs the publishing rights from Universal. I don't think that should be much of a problem though. Considering no one is currently publishing QL books.

When she is finished it would be amazing if there was an audio book. Either with a single reader or a full cast audio dramatization.
I'm not sure about an audio for the QL books, however, I am going to be talking with Deborah and her assistants about making The Vision Quest into a full cast audio dramatization.

I've been working with Jerry Robbins with Colonial Radio Theatre: On The Air and although we are extremely busy with what we have right now, there might be a chance... that in the future, Deborah might think of getting TVQ into drama format.

All I can say right now, is that I have talked with Deborah about it. We'll see what happens.

Right now, though, I must finish up working on one audio before I can begin working with Walter Koenig on his book Buck Alice and the Actor-Robot.

~MJ
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsplacebartender View Post
I have taken a suggestion from Morgan and hope to get all the hours put on a disc in computer file format so that they can be watched on the computer, even if at a lower quality picture. We also want to put out a main disc with a couple of hours of highlights. All in the works - just need to find a good way to do it first.

If anyone knows a good DVD authoring company (Morgan?) that can handle something like this for relatively low cost, please send me contact info.
That is a great idea! I would love to have all the hours of the convention, even if in low quality, so I can see what I missed (and so those who weren't even there can see it all!). A highlight disc is a great idea, too!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QL Damsel View Post
I'm not sure about an audio for the QL books, however, I am going to be talking with Deborah and her assistants about making The Vision Quest into a full cast audio dramatization.

I've been working with Jerry Robbins with Colonial Radio Theatre: On The Air and although we are extremely busy with what we have right now, there might be a chance... that in the future, Deborah might think of getting TVQ into drama format.

All I can say right now, is that I have talked with Deborah about it. We'll see what happens.

Right now, though, I must finish up working on one audio before I can begin working with Walter Koenig on his book Buck Alice and the Actor-Robot.

~MJ
WOW!!!
TVQ in audio would be awesome.
and WOW!!!!
Working with Walter Koenig! Our MJ! I'm majorly impressed.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
flylion
PQL Visitor

I can't believe it was just a week ago that I met Scott. I had a great time at the convention it was my first convention ever. Marc did a great job and I'll the other helpers and workers.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
QL Damsel

An odd question -
When I stood up to talk with Scott and Don, Don said that he had two questions. For the life of me, I can't remember the second question.
I know that he asked "Where in Texas are you from?" My answer: Bertram, Texas.
His daughter lived in Bourne.

So.... I can't for the life of me remember the second one. I was just too darn nervous!

Can anyone remember?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

Sorry I don't remember that.

I was surprised that you did not tell Don about how you use QL to teach your students. Did you tell him about that when you got his autograph? I just thought that was very awesome to here MJ! I know Quantum Leap sparked an interest in history for me as a kid.

I do volunteer work with kids. I have thought of going back to school to become a teacher myself.

Don Bellisario on why he used the name Tom so much in Quantum Leap

(Yes my name is Tom. So when he told me that I had a big grin on my face! )
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
QL Damsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos View Post
Sorry I don't remember that.

I was surprised that you did not tell Don about how you use QL to teach your students. Did you tell him about that when you got his autograph? I just thought that was very awesome to here MJ! I know Quantum Leap sparked an interest in history for me as a kid.

I do volunteer work with kids. I have thought of going back to school to become a teacher myself.
No, I didn't. With everything that was happening... I can barely remember. I kinda got flustered in the Q and A with Scott and Don because I mean... HELLO... look who I'm talking too.

But, what really tickled me about the whole thing and got me a little bit more relaxed, was when Marc motioned over to me and said, "Your question, ma'am." We'd talked during the weekend - and he may not have been able to recognize me from across the room. I just remember saying, "What's this ma'am stuff? When did I become ma'am?" What a memorable event when both Marc, Don and Scott all said, "Young lady."

Heehee.... Maybe it'll be on the DVD and I can find out. I just can't for the life of me... remember.

AUGH.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
MO

I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to ask until just now, but I should have asked Scott if he could still do Sam's "flying noodle kick." I taught myself how to do that kick by watching the DVDs, and I even used it to my advantage in a tournament.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

Tae Kwon Do or Karate?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
MO

Yes!

I started with Karate, but put that on the back burner and earned my black belt in TaeKwonDo first. Now I am a TKD instructor. I do intend to return to Karate and earn my black belt in that style, as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

I am a Green belt in Judo. I have studied off and on my whole life. My Dad's a 6th degree Black Belt. One of the highest ranked in the state of Wisconsin.

I have been meaning to branch out into another Martial Art. To everybody in Judo around here I am just "Dick's son". Casts kind of a big shadow, if you know what I mean?

I just tried a introductory Tai Chi class which lasted only for 8 weeks. It was interesting. But focused more on breathing and medication techniques.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
MO

I totally understand what you mean about "big shadow."

I have a friend who teaches Tai Chi. He wants me to join his class, but I teach two evenings a week, take Hei Wado (yet another Karate style) two evenings a week, and work three evenings a week.

I would love to take Judo. My husband took Judo for a while (years ago), and he has a great story about how he fell in the street, but didn't get hurt because he knew how to fall. I haven't found any Judo classes in my area, though.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
Avilos
Accelerator Technician

That is great that a Judo fall protected your husband.

One of the things my Dad always says in Judo demonstrations is that most people get hurt in falls because they are embarrassed. They stick their arm out to stop their fall. Worrying that someone will see them! Which is what causes broken arms and wrists. That is why knowing how to absorb the shock in a fall is so important.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
MO

That's exactly why my husband didn't get hurt. He turned his ankle, knew he was going down, and didn't try to fight it. He just tucked, rolled, stood back up, and continued across the street. A guy on the other side of the street thought that was so neat, he asked if Tom (my husband lol) would do that again. He said no thanks.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #22
ris768

I was playing with Marc, he knows I still love him.

I have forgiven him for not letting me ask my question but I am still casting evil eyes at him for allowing the Panavision jacket's bid to go so high. When it went for over $1000 Australian I had to pull out.

Actually Marc I forgive you for that too, afterall I ended up getting a nice fleecy Murphy Brown jacket for ten times less from Jay's stockpile.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
Classical Theories

Believe me when I say I have lost sleep over all of your forgiveness. Excuse me while I go back to sleep.
http://www.fedcon.de

Classical Theories is offline   Reply With Quote