Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 AM   #51
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

ooh, I like your good list a lot Almiffy67, and The Last Gunfighter I also agree with.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #52
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

BLIND FAITH

A tragic tale about a young girl who has a very strict mother, who does not want her daughter to live a life of her own. This motherly overprotection however leads to a dangerous situation. On the other hand, there is Sam trying to imagine what it feels like to be blind. These two worlds collide as they must, to right the things which once went wrong. And to learn, above all, that letting go isn't always a bad thing. Great episode.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #53
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

LEE HARVEY OSWALD

Probably the most controversial episode of the whole series. For non-Americans (like myself) it's a great history lesson, but for everybody it's a stunning performance by Scott Bakula. Hands down his best performance of the series. Also probably the most violent and disturbing episode of the series (not one for the kids),but there lies great storytelling (well, mostly facts even) behind it all.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #54
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock

LEE HARVEY OSWALD

Probably the most controversial episode of the whole series. For non-Americans (like myself) it's a great history lesson, but for everybody it's a stunning performance by Scott Bakula. Hands down his best performance of the series. Also probably the most violent and disturbing episode of the series (not one for the kids),but there lies great storytelling (well, mostly facts even) behind it all.
Great episode, but one of the worst Hollywood stereotypes of Southerners and mis-representations of New Orleans since "The Big Easy"---when a Georgia peach carrying a parasol walks up to Sam in N.O. and refers to him as "y'all". Totally out of place accent aside, no self-respecting Southerner would ever use "y'all" to ONE Person. "y'all didn't tell me y'all was married." Puh-leeze.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #55
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Lee Harvey Oswald is hella creepy but a wonderful desplay of Scott's acting skills along with Dreams and Shock Theater

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Old 04-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #56
SamBeckett94
Control Room Technician

I wasn't too sure about this episode the first time I saw it. I didn't find it that interesting the first time. Though I've watched it another two times, and my opinion has changed. I now think that this s one of series 5's best episodes. Although. since I saw it, I've been having strange dreams involving me pretending to be the queen, and then getting shot by Lee Harvey Oswald, but the bullet rebounds and kills him.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #57
leonni
PQL Visitor

Default My top 10

My top 10 + 3 Bonus.... in no particular order.

Raped
I like the idea that Sam was able to protect a rape victim from all the behaviour of people around her after the rape.

the Colour of Truth
This kind of reminded me of driving Miss Daisy. I like how he was able to change the woman's opinion slowly.

The Leap Back
I like the Idea that when he changed his and Donna's past that htey ended up together, and he was able to enjoy his own life. I always wanted to believe that he might have had a child with her since she was his wife (and I hated the Abigail character, she was beyond irritating). I like the idea that his wife loved him enough that she would wait years for him.

Freedom
This might be due to the fact that I work with aboriginal students but I love the underlying tension between the siblings. How one (the daughter) is emersed in the "world" and out of touch with her backgorund, and the other is curious but has no knowledge. I like the idea that the grandfather can open Sam's eyes to aboriginal culture and it means enough to him int he end that he gaurantees that the man will be returned to his land. Although it's stereotypical in a lot of ways, I enjoy the itnerpretation of aboriginal people. The first line is priceless when Sams says "I'm an Indian" and the grandfather figure says "It could be worse, you could be a white man."

8 1/2 Months
I loved the idea of Sam as a waddling pregnant woman, and I enjoyed all the debate about whether he could truly have the baby or not.

Last Dance Before Execution
I enjoyed the fact that the writer didn't go the easy route and make his leapee innocent but the actual murderer.

Running For Honour
I really liked the idea that we never found out whether the leapee was gay or not. I liked the idea that Al's beliefs were challenged and it was just fast-paced and exciting right to the conclusion.

A Leap for Lisa
I love the fun they had with Al disappearing and reappearing. I totally love who they picked as Sam's observer. It implied that Sam would be entirely dull and boring if he hadn't met Al. And who can resist Al freaking out about his own future or lack thereof! I also like the idea that Sam failed, and Al was the one who really righted his own past.

Liberation
I loved the underlying tension that was shown between feminism and being a wife and mother. Whether they are mutually exclusive or not. Plus I couldn't resist Sam trying to avoid kissing his husband *hehe*.

The Leap Between The States
I can't resist period pieces what can I say. I just loved the character of his great-grandmother too. She was facinating!

Justice
I think this one is self-explanatory.

Jimmy
I resisted watching this one for a long time and now I don't know why. Sam's confusion about how to appear retarded, finding out about Al's sister and his close attachment to the case. Just being able to imagine what it must have been like for someone who was mentally retarded prior to the modern era. Very touching.

Shock Theater
This really showed Scott excellent acting range. I actually liked Dreams for the same reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trilogy is at times one of my favorite and oen of the worst. While I enjoyed the basis of the trilogy I find Sam sleeping with Abigail so unbelievable. He falls in love with her in the first episode in a father-figure way. Then he's having sex with her immediately in the second leap. It's rather icky to me, there was no chance to even know her as an adult first. The fact that he fathered a child with her isn't any more believable to me, though I guess it was meant to be the key to bringing him home.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #58
leaper
Control Room Technician

the best episodes for me so far
A PORTRIAT FOR TROIAN chilling episode with a nice twist
THE LEAP HOME touching episode
KILLING TIME a mix of sci fi thrillers in to one single episode
RAPED the title says it all although i dont get it whey they dont show that episode here in uk and they always skip it.
TEMPTATION EYES a romantic thriller episode
MIRROR IMAGE welcome to the twilight zone
MIA simply romantic and moving in the end
GHOST SHIPThe whole bermuda triangle mystery is intruiging
THE BOOG..... dont say the word
PRIVATE DANCERbeautifull moving and a great love theme
LAST DANCE BEFORE AN EXECUTION Very dramatic episode with a shocking
ending
SHOCK THETRE Scots best acting performance so far in this episode
THE LEAP BACK Romantic to death and also moving in the end...WHERE IS
DONNA??
PERNAMEMT WAVE a nice twist in the end
DREAMS gave me the chills when i saw it
ROBERTO BECOUSE I LOVED THE ACTRESS SHE WAS SO SEXY
THE EVIL LEAPERS becouse they rocked the series
and THE TRILOGY very suspensfull ecxiting and SAMS ULTIMATE BETRAYAL TO DONNA.
ps to add 2 more which i forgot
A LEAP FOR LISA AL IS GONE LOL
A LITTLE MIRACLE A NICE CHRISTMAS CAROL

Last edited by leaper; 04-13-2007 at 07:50 PM.
leaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #59
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

LAST DANCE BEFORE AN EXECUTION

Well, what can I say about this episode? It's genuinely moving and really makes you feel how it must be to sit on death row. Offcourse, central to understanding this is Sam Beckett and his fear and desperation is astounding (and almost nowhere else to be seen in the series). Al is also very good in the church scenes (the third picture is one my favourite 'intro' moments) with the little girl. The 'baddie' is played with much gusto by a veteran actor (who I know by face from many a production). Finally, the whole episode is about faith and believing, but ultimately the sinners must be judged.

P.S. So, four still to go. All American episodes, but not all about 'real' Americans.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #60
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonni
The trilogy is at times one of my favorite and oen of the worst. While I enjoyed the basis of the trilogy I find Sam sleeping with Abigail so unbelievable. He falls in love with her in the first episode in a father-figure way. Then he's having sex with her immediately in the second leap. It's rather icky to me, there was no chance to even know her as an adult first. The fact that he fathered a child with her isn't any more believable to me, though I guess it was meant to be the key to bringing him home.
This is a good way to describe it. The trilogy has aspects that I really like, and at other times, I wonder what they were thinking.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #61
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

I can understand that view Leonni, but Sorry I feel the whole thing was "what the hell where they thinking!". bleh!

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #62
leonni
PQL Visitor

"I can understand that view Leonni, but Sorry I feel the whole thing was "what the hell where they thinking!". bleh!"

I guess my idea is that if they were going ot plan a trilogy when he falls for a woman that it would have to be a believable woman. Abigail is such an irritating, whiny, needy character. I just think that Donna is such a better match for Sam. If they wanted to explore the idea of he falling on love with someone it should have been someone who was actually a good match for Sam, not some whiny annoying character. Plus they should have delayed the lovemaking until he at least got to know and fall in love with the character as an adult. Otherwise it's just disgusting to me.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #63
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

I love Donna, shes the only one for Sam in my opinion, it wasn't just abigale (although most of it was), it was also the idea of him having sex with someone on a leap, its just not right cuz hes not himself. He needs to be with someone *cough*donna*cough* that makes love to Sam not a mask.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #64
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

Quote:
"I can understand that view Leonni, but Sorry I feel the whole thing was "what the hell where they thinking!". bleh!"

I guess my idea is that if they were going ot plan a trilogy when he falls for a woman that it would have to be a believable woman. Abigail is such an irritating, whiny, needy character. I just think that Donna is such a better match for Sam. If they wanted to explore the idea of he falling on love with someone it should have been someone who was actually a good match for Sam, not some whiny annoying character. Plus they should have delayed the lovemaking until he at least got to know and fall in love with the character as an adult. Otherwise it's just disgusting to me.
I can totally understand why (mainly) women can't believe this. It is a pity however that people let those kind of things get in the way of enjoying brilliant writing and acting.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #65
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

TEMPTATION EYES

Ah, what a sweet episode. Apart from the whole killings and stuff. As I am a fan of murder mysteries, this episode certainly delivered. Well, and it had Tamlyn Tomita........with long straight hair! Damn, this is kind of shallow, but that is reason alone to place it in any top 10.
Great acting by all the principal actors. Though I do wonder why Tamlyn doesn't get any flack (amongst female fans) for not being Donna? Anyways, the best romantic episode of the whole series.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #66
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Yay Temptation Eyes is Number one on my list!

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #67
leonni
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock
I can totally understand why (mainly) women can't believe this. It is a pity however that people let those kind of things get in the way of enjoying brilliant writing and acting.
I have already acknowldged that the episodes themselves deal with great stories. I don't however, think it was neccessary to sexualize it and make Sam romantically involved. To me it was very contrived, and little thought was put forward to the idea of who Sam would actually fall in love with. I don't see what the attraction would be for Sam. Based on the idea of who he fell in love with outside of leaping, it was based on among other things intellect etc. Abigail displayed no qualities which would make me believe Sam could love her. I would buy that he would want to protect her, but love her?

To me the "love story" took what was a good set of episodes and made them unneccessarily melodramatic.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:22 AM   #68
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Abigail displayed no qualities which would make me believe Sam could love her. I would buy that he would want to protect her, but love her?
Beautifully said, I couldn't agree more. Plus there was the whole thing with Abligale having a family curse or whatever, and the whole town after her and treating her like a victum of the Salem Witch trails. I found that to be rubbish and totally unrealistic, and the main reason that I find the trilogies to be more of a bad fanfic as opposed to part of the show.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #69
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

BLACK ON WHITE ON FIRE

Fire walk with me...........sorry, wrong show. Anyways, this is probably the most dramatic episode of the whole series. Dark and grim, but dealing with real issues which still hold significance today. Perhaps I bit too dark for some people, but I like my coffee black (well, that's not literally true, but...). Society was the real bad guy in this episode.

P.S. Only two episodes left. Be prepared for the two most 'haunting' episodes (imho) of the series.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #70
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

GOOD NIGHT, DEAR HEART

A story without a genuine bad guy, but one in which the tragic of everyday life is beautifully captured. Also, bringing in the war element makes for a very haunting and tearful episode. We see a defeated Sam who tries to perform (symbolic) CPR on a corpse. Did he fail? Is that what the haunting of a dead girl tries to tell him? The only episode (well, apart from my number one, I think) that begins with death and ends with death. Oh, and by far the best ending (the last scene) to any Quantum Leap episode.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #71
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

ehh that one is not one of my favs but I can stand it, its ok.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #72
Grimlock
Control Room Technician

TRILOGY PART I: ONE LITTLE HEART

Shivers down my spine. Come again? Yes, that was my reaction upon watching this episode for the first time (almost 12 years ago). This episode just pushed all the right buttons for me. The writing, acting and directing (that black & white scene is just inspired) in this episode all seem to click. The characters all feel very real to me and you care about them (in a good way or bad way).

Leta Aider is something which Quantum Leap never really touched upon before (evil women). Apart from her, I also liked Meg Foster very much (who was still quite in demand back then). The haunting mood on Quantum Leap was done before, but never this good. The pace of the story was also very on the mark. Just like Sam, I asked myself the same questions in this murder mystery and I shared his concerns. Was Leta Aider perhaps right and the witchhunt correct? That is when you know that something really grabs you.

The nitpicks people have about this story will not be discussed, as I do not judge stories on their imagined soap opera elements (Who does Sammy boy belong to? Did Sammy boy have an incestious relationship with Abigail?). For me it's about the dark underlying themes.

Marks: 10/10
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #73
leaper
Control Room Technician

and i totally agree 100 percent.its silly to say that you dont like the trilogy part becouse of abigaile, and the affair they had.This episode is very ecxiting and creepy when the ghost of the mother appears to sam.sooo whats not to like??and also i think melora hardin is a very beautiful actress.i recently saw her at a movie the dynasty, about the making of this 80s soap opera how it was done..she played linda evans and she looked gorgeus.so why many people here say the opposite for this actress.unless you were refairing to the little girl who played abigail.yes i found her a bit annoying
Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #74
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper
its silly to say that you dont like the trilogy part becouse of abigaile, and the affair they had.
So I am silly?
Although I dislike it more because of the storyline, I guess Abigale isn't the worst although I still say she's annoying.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #75
Snish
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper
i think melora hardin is a very beautiful actress.... she looked gorgeus.so why many people here say the opposite for this actress.
I don't think anyone has complained about Melora Hardin's looks. Of course she's beautiful. The problem is that some people, including me, find the character unappealing and don't find it believable that Sam would fall passionately in love with her.