A Leap on Jump Street A Leap for Judy and Tom Chapter 10 (The End)

SammyJoBeckett

Project QL Intern
May 17, 2006
Quantum Leap: A Leap on Jump Street Series
A Leap for Judy and Tom
By Heather Samantha Beckett
Disclaimer: I do not own the concept of Quantum Leap or 21 Jump Street or their characters, those solely belong to Don Belisario (Quantum Leap) and Stephen J Cannell and Patrick Hasburgh (21 Jump Street)
Chapter 10: Leaping Out Of Love
"Well if I did my job and life is going to treat these people well, then why am I still here? it doesn't make sense," Sam said scratching his head. "Wait a minuet. We weren't sure it was Bailey who was beating up those girls or if he had someone like a student beat them up. Maybe I still need to solve this mystery."
"Sam I gotta go. Gooshie is calling, he says its urgent something is up with Tom Hanson,"Al pressed some buttons on his handlink and disappeared before Sam could say anything.
"Talking to yourself again Hanson?" Penhall said laughing and slapping his hand on Sam's back. What mystery do you need to solve? Bailey came clean, he told Fuller he was the one beating up the girls so he would scare them, and keep them from talking."
"Oh um I was just talking to my guardian angel. Don't you have one?" Sam said nonchalantly.
"Yea her name is Marta," Penhall said solemnly. "I'm sorry Tom. I just get so nervous and then the joking starts. I know my jokes are not always appreciated especially when I use them at inappropriate times. It's just seeing Judy like that freaked me out. I just kept thinking back to the time when we went to El Salvador to find my wife and bring her back to the US and we found out she was killed. I couldn't think of loosing another woman I loved."
Sam put his hand on Doug's shoulder, "It's ok Doug. We all love Judy and she is going to be fine, so you don't have to worry."
"Thanks man."
"So if you love Judy what haven't you told her?" Sam asked.
Penhall looked at Sam with a strange expression on his face. "Ah what are you talking about man? You know that Judy and I love each other like brother and sister. We don't have those feelings for each other. We have had this discussion before Hanson. The question is why haven't you told her how you feel? You know one of these days someone who is finally worthy of her is going to sweep Judy off her feet, a man who isn't actually a loser for a change, and she could end up spending her life with him and you will beat yourself up for not telling her you loved her. She might not love you the same way but you don't know unless you ask. The worse thing that can happen is you will just remains friends."
So Tom Hanson does loves Judy and she doesn't know it. The question is does Judy love Tom?
"Sam, Tom loves Judy. He never told her. He thinks something bad is going to happen to her and he is freaking out because he hasn't had the chance to tell her how he feels," said Al reappearing before Sam.
"Al I know. Penhall clued me in," said Sam.
"Does Judy love Tom? Has she indicated anything to you?" Al asked Sam.
"No she hasn't given me I mean Tom any hints that she has any feelings for him other than that of friendship. She is in surgery now maybe I could talk to her later."
"I don't know Sam maybe you really are here to join together 2 star crossed lovers. I hope she does feel the same way," said Al.
"Is that your guardian angel you are talking to?" Asked Penahall. "Ask him if he's seen Marta. Tell him to tell her I still love her and think about her every day and her nephew is dong well and I am talking good care of him."
"What's that about?" asked Al.
"Did you hear that Al? Sam yelled.
"Ok. Um tell him I will tell her," said Al plying along.
"He said he will tell her," Sam told Penhall who had tears welling up in the corners of his eyes. "I got allergies," Penhall said pretending to blow his nose.
"Hanson you did real good back there," said Fuller approaching Sam and patting him on his back. "You handled yourself nicely and you didn't compromise your partner's life .I just wanted to say I never been prouder of you."
"Thanks Captain. Just doing my job," Said Sam.
"Thanks to you we got this case wrapped up and a very disturbed man will be put away for a long time. He won't be bothering anymore woman especially Judy," Fuller said giving Sam an I know what happened look.
"So you knew he was beating her up?"
"Well when you grow up in an abusive home you can tell the signs."
"I know what you mean. I know what you mean," sighed Sam.
"Why don't you take the rest of the day off, hell take the rest of the week off you deserve it," Fuller told Sam.
"Yea ok," Said Sam relieved he wasn't going to have to do anymore of Tom's job.
"Tom," said Michelle as she and Clayton approached Sam."We I mean Clayton, Kristi, Jarod, Aaron and I well we all want to take you and the other officers out as a thank you for making our school safe again. We thought about going to O' Grady's. It's a sports bar. We can get in cause we are all 18 but you guys can get drinks if you want. Anyway we are all going to pitch in, you and the other officers won't have to pay for a thing."
"Wow that's generous of you. You know I was just doing my job," said Sam modestly.
"Well how often do you guys get well thanked for what you do?" asked Clayton rhetorically.
"Not very often," said Ioki approaching the group.
"How about Friday night?" Suggested Sam it was only 2 days away surely he could hold on 2 more days especially since he needed to wait until Judy was strong enough to have a real conversation with him.
"Good idea I'm in", said Ioki. "How about you Captain?"
"Oh count me out I have a date with a pretty nurse."
"Ioki and Penhall yelled, "whooo hooo way to go Captain," and gave him the thumbs up.
"I'm in too but first I have to find a baby sitter for Clavo," said Penhall.
"I wish Judy could come with us," said Michelle sadly.
"Don't worry Michelle when she's out of the hospital we can take her out. I heard her say she likes Bon Jovi and we can take her to the Bon Jovi concert next month," suggested Clayton.
"I'm sure she'd like that," said Ioki. "She is a Bon Jovi nut."
"Thanks for everything Tom see you Friday," said Michelle as she and her friends left the hospital.
"We are going to Hanson relax take a break and see you Monday," Said Fuller as he, Penhall, and Ioki left the hospital also.
Sam decided to stay with Judy the rest of the day. Since he was a doctor he was much more comfortable spending the day in the hospital with Judy then alone in Tom's apartment with nothing to do.
After what seemed like a lifetime Judy finally opened her eyes and looked around. She noticed 2 men she had never seen before sitting in chairs next to her bed staring at her. "Who are you 2?" she asked confused, fear etched in her pretty born eyes.
Sam and Al looked at each other. "Um I'm Hanson who did you expect?" asked Sam nervously.
"You aren't Hanson. What do you take me for a fool? and what's up with your friend and that sorry excuse for an outfit?" Judy said pointing to Al. Al had on a bright yellow zoot suit with a purple vest and a yellow fedora topped his head.
"Hey I resent that. This outfit is a real lady killer."
Sam rolled his eyes and ignored his holographic friend. "My name is Dr Sam Beckett and this is Admiral Al Calavicci. I run a project called Quantum Leap. I leap back and fourth in time and I leap into people's bodies. I know it sound like invasions of the body snatchers," said Sam laughing nervously when he saw Judy's eyes widen. "When I leap into these people, people around them still see the person I leap into as themselves. It's like I'm a spirit invading a body and their spirit trades places with mine and they are transported into the future and all of my friends and colleagues see them as me."
"Why do you do this?" Judy asked sitting up wanting to hear more, she was intrigued.
"I'm there to put right what once went wrong."
"And what does ' "I don't know how to dress myself" ' do?" Judy asked pointing to Al.
Al rolled his eyes and gave Judy a half dirty half amused look.
"He comes to me I mean the person I leap into from the future in the form of a hologram to help me figure out what wrong to put right so I can leap," said Sam. "He is tuned into my brainwaves so only I can see him."
"So you are helping people making their lives better and they don't even know it?"
"Something like that," answered Sam.
"I'm all for that," said Judy suddenly getting up and walking over towards Sam with an I just realized something expression on her face. "So you leaped into Tom Hanson? I knew there was something off about him. How come I can see you as you and not as Tom then?"
Sam didn't answer for a moment. How could he tell her she was having an out of body experience? When Judy got up from the bed and walked over to him he saw her spirit leave her broken body lying unconscious on the bed. This was a little too weird for him. He had never experienced something like this before. The closest thing he could think of was the one time he leaped into a cabby and a woman saw him as Sam and Al as Al and it turned out she was an angel. Sam's heart skipped a beat. Was Judy dead and now he was talking to her spirit? Had he botched up extracting the bullet form her esophagus and killed her? No it couldn't be the doctor told him his quick thinking saved her life. Was this all a dream? That's it I must be dreaming, Sam thought to himself. He pinched himself to make sure. "Ow, I'm not dreaming."
"This is freaky Sam," Said Al.
"You're telling me" said Judy who had just seen Al walk through Sam. "So tell me what wrong did you set right for me?"
Sam and Al exchanged nervous glances. "I can't really tell you. Its the laws of Quantum Physics and the space time continuum," said Sam. He thought back to the many times he had wanted to tell people who he was but just couldn't. It agonized him at times.
"Does something happen to Tom? Is he going to be ok?" Judy asked suddenly. When neither Sam or Al answered her she continued, "I couldn't bear something happening to Tom and never getting to chance to tell him how I felt. I've loved him for a long time but I don't think he feels the same way so I've never said anything. He goes through so many girlfriends I'm afraid if we went out and things didn't work out our friendship would be ruined and I could never let that happen."
Tears started appearing in the comers of Al's eyes. "You know even though we can't tell you anything I will let you in on a little secrete. I lost the love of my life because she thought I had died in Vietnam. I was a prisoner of war and when I finally got to come back to the US I had found out my wife had moved on and married someone else. I was devastated she is the one and only woman I ever truly loved and it felt like someone took a claw and ripped out my heart. I never told her I was back She still thinks I'm dead. I let her live with that pain. Since I felt like I could never love again I ended up marrying and divorcing 8 woman. None of them could live up to Beth. I may be a sex obsessed pervert but just because I sleep with a lot of woman doesn't mean I'm a very loved man or a very happy man. It's very very sad. If Tom thinks you are not worthy of him, and you are the only person he truly loves he will have a lot of meaningless relationships and go from one woman to another because none of them will live up to his expectations. They will never live up to you. It is obvious he is either A doesn't have those feelings for you or B he does and he's to scared to admit it. It is up to you to say something because if you never tell him how you feel you will spend your life wondering what if. Don't let that happen to you."
Before Judy could say anything, Sam and Al saw her lift up from the ground and float back to the unconscious Judy lying in the bed and spirit and body reconnected.
Sam jerked his head and jumped up out of his seat suddenly. "Have I been dreaming?" Sam asked himself out loud. He went in Judy's bathroom and looked in the mirror. Tom's reflection stared back at him. "I must have been dreaming and oh boy what a weird dream it was," said Sam out loud to himself.
"Is someone there?" Sam could hear Judy's voice. He rushed out of the bathroom and ran to her bedside. "I'm here," said Sam stoking Judy's arm.
"What happened where am I?"
"You are at Mercy General. Bailey shot you."
Fear spread across Judy's face and Sam could feel the muscles in Judy's body tighten up.
"Relax, Relax. Don't worry. After he shot you I shot his leg and then I did my best to stop the bleeding in your neck and I knew the bullet was lodged in your esophagus. Your breaths were shallow you were in shock and then you didn't breath at all. I gave you mouth to mouth and then I had the kids get me a first aid kit and some medical supplies and I extracted the bullet from your esophagus so you could start breathing again. The paramedic came then and took you to the hospital. You came out of surgery," Sam looked at Tom's watch. "about 5 hours ago. Bailey cmae clean and confessed to having affairs with minor and beating up those girls. He will be put away a long time and he won't be bothering you anymore." Sam Continued.
Judy started to cry. "You did that for me? You saved my life? I didn't even know you knew basic first aid let alone know enough to extract a bullet from me."
Sam stroked Judy's cheek wiping some tears away. "Don't cry Judy."
"I'm sorry I can't help it. It's just you have been there for me so much lately and I, I, I had the strangest dream just now. I don't remember that much of it except that some strangely dressed man shared a story with me of how he lost the love of his life and something about being married and divorced 8 times and being a sex obsessed pervert because since he lost the love of his life no one could live up to his lost love, and he sounded so unhappy."
Sam gave Judy a look of you must be out of your mind but was really thinking, "So we both had the same dream?" The idea of that sent a shiver up Sam's spine.
"I don't want to loose the love of my life Tom."
"You love someone? Who?" Sam asked.
"You officer Tom Hanson. I loved you from the first day I met you and I had to take you punk shopping," laughed Judy. "I love you Tom Hanson. There, I said it. Now I know you might not feel the same way but I couldn't live with myself if I never told you how...." Judy never got to finish her sentence.
"I love you too, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you," Said Sam as he felt that familiar tickle of electricity and he leapt out of love.
The End