Suggestion = QL themed Universal tour

Avilos

Project QL Intern
Nov 22, 2008
Wisconsin
www.facebook.com
I been to Universal Studios numerous. So normally I would not go again during the weekend of the convention. But there would be a way to change my mind.

I know Universal has (or at least did have) special VIP tours. That actual go into the various Studio departments. Also allow you to get out and look up close at the backlot facades.

Of course Quantum Leap was actually shot at Universal Studios. It would be amazing to have a tour geared just toward the show. Given by someone knowledgeable of how things ran when the show was in production. With a sense of what each department did to create a complete episode. What the weekly schedule was like. Then pointing out on the backlot the specific locations used and which episode they appeared.

Ideally someone who actually worked on the show could do this.

Is this wishful thinking on my part? Maybe! Those trams have a limited amount of space. Even with a number of scheduled tours not every attendee would be able to go.

Just an idea I thought I would throw out there! ;)

This sounds like a great idea! AS one who have never been to LA even, I thinkthat could be a nice touch.
:)

Heck even if one of the celebrity guests road along on the official tram tour and offered insights and memories from the show would be great.

Or a very knowledgeable fan could jot down all the backlot locations and which episodes they appear in. Which could be printed out for any fans who take they tour.

It's a great idea, and one we mooted right at the beginning of the convention planning, but unfortunately, it's not going to be something we can do.

Most of the people who worked at Universal when QL was in production have moved on to pastures new, and most of the sets that were recognisably QL have gone.

Courthouse Square - most famously seen in Back to the Future - has been torn down, and replaced with the set for Ghost Whisperer. All the other facades have either been remodelled or lost to the two fires Universal has seen on its backlot.

The only really recognisable QL 'sets' remaining are the bridge Norma Jean is going to jump from in 'Moments to Live'; the road Sam runs along, bricks in hand, in 'The Right Hand of God'; and 'Cabot Cove', which when it wasn't playing host to Jessica Fletcher (or the 'Jaws' part of the tour - who would ever guessed that Bruce the shark lurked beneath the placid waters of Cabot Lake?) could be seen in 'Starlight, Starbright'.

If you take the tour on your own time, Quantum Leap gets a couple of shout outs on the tram video system, and if you're lucky, you'll get the opportunity to cross the 'Moments to Live' bridge, though that's been out of commission the past couple of times I've been to Universal.

alsplacebartender said:
It is not there? On their website it's shown as still being on the studio tour. http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/gallery_studio_tour.html

It was gone last November, and the tour guide made a point of saying 'This used to be Courthouse Square from Back to the Future, but it now plays host to the Town Square in Ghost Whisperer'. I'm a huge BTTF fan, so I was very miffed.

Oh, another thing on the backlot is the river Sam carries Joseph across in 'Freedom'. It's part of the Mexican village, but you don't actually see the area it was filmed in - you just cross the bottom of the river as part of the tour.

Edit to say: after a bit of googling, I found that the Couthouse is still there, but due to the remodel for Ghost Whisperer, it's almost unrecognisable. But if you go through there on the tram, you'll know that rather a lot of QL eps were filmed there, so that's something.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/studiotours/UniversalStudiosHollywood.shtml

This site also points out something I'd forgotten, Scott related but not QL: an episode of Enterprise, 'North Star', was filmed on the Universal Western set.