AL and Sam, how did it begin?

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
whenever my best friend and i chat about Quantum Leap, there is always one particular question that never fails to come up and start a very interesting discussion, one of which was held at ur senior prom, the other week a few days before i first joined this board, hehe. (hey it was a boring prom, i only went to please my friends). anyway, the question is, how did Sam and Al, two people of completely different ages meet and become best friends. is that at all dsicussed in seasons four ro five(which i have yet to see when season four comes to DVD in December)? if not, then i wihs they would discuss it, becasue it has my best friend and i very very curious.

They reference this in "Play Ball," which is in Season 4. Al used to be a member of the Star Bright Project, in which the government had kicked him off of and basically ruined his career. Al is a recovered alcoholic, so he got into a drunken bitter rage and started smashing a vending machine when Sam came along. Sam saw through the drunken rage and knew that Al was a great person underneath, so he took Al under his wing to form Project Quantum Leap. They became best friends and the rest is history...

In addition to the excellent prequel series "Starbright Project," that brief little exchange in "Play Ball" has inspired so many stories, including one novel-length story I wrote in the late 90s and finished in February of 2000 called "Stardust." I've recently revised it and hope to share it soon.

> Re: AL and Sam, how did it begin?

Oh, for sure, Jennie! It's amazing what probably less than a page of dialogue can add to the depth of Sam's and Al's friendship and spawn many fan-fiction stories.

Re: > Re: AL and Sam, how did it begin?

It's amazing what probably less than a page of dialogue can add to the depth of Sam's and Al's friendship and spawn many fan-fiction stories.

My novella "High Hopes" (recently lost from this very messageboard by the ezboard crash :'( and the story I gave to Dean Stockwell on May 1st) has a sub plot entirely inspired by a single line said by Al to Sam in the episode "Thou Shalt Not".
I am hoping to repost this and the story which comes before it, also lost in the crash, "Terror Firma" along with the third in my 5 story arc which is almost edited, at www.fanfiction.net with a link here at Al's in the original fanfiction section where the stories first appeared.
I hope you guys will check them all out.
No. 4 "Snake in the Grass" which is currently about half written, contains a real shocker that will have readers saying "NO WAY!!!", but I hope that you will all persevere and see that Sam really had no choice....
(Has that whetted your appetites?)

Re: > Re: AL and Sam, how did it begin?

wow, it's great to be surrounded by so many writers. it makes me feel the convidence i usually do not feel about sharing fanfics with people. you people have inpisred me greatly, so i am defeneatly going to put my idea into action and write a fanfic where the devil Al comes back, becasue watching the boogiem*n, i got really into the charactor, and think it will be interesting for him to make a second appearance and a second attempt to stop sam from making so much right of his wrongs.

Well....

SamBeckettfann -- if you want to try your hand at writing something for The Virtual Seasons - you'll need to get caught up on the seasons then write an episode. Just be aware that there are editors who will edit your story. We try to put it up on the net as if it were a genuine article. Up to you.