EVENTS page now OPEN with Fan Fiction Contest & More!

Just had a thought, and pardon my laziness if it's already been addressed...can they be co-authored?

Ooo... co-authorization is allowed? Hmmm... I might just recruit someone to help me out, then, on mine, considering the horrible writer's block I've had the last few years.

Thanks for answering all these questions! Could almost make an FAQ outta them.

Joy

Does the fanfic have to be about Sam/Al, or could it be centred around another character from the show?

I'm not going to give too much away, but my idea is based around someone other than Sam or Al, and I was going to write it as the beginning of a spin-off series...

Would that be eligable for the fanzine?

Does the fanfic have to be about Sam/Al, or could it be centred around another character from the show?

It could, since it's a Quantum Leap zine/contest and not specifically a Sam and Al zine. But keeping our readership in mind, a story that revolves around Sam or Al (or both) would probably be more popular -- unless it's a character most fans really enjoy, like Gooshie.

But I won't say "no." You just need to come up with a story that kicks butt. :)

I'm here to give this a kick in the butt -- we've only had three entries! Who's got their thinking cap on for a new fic? Want to toss some ideas around with fellow fans?

Anyone who's NOT a writer -- why not provide some prompts for the folks who do write?

The entries can be drabbles (100 words), they can be novel length, they can be anything!

I'll provide a challenge here: I'd like to see a fic where it's Sam's 50th birthday. He doesn't know it's his birthday, and Al can't tell him. It can be funny, or melancholy, or silly, or dramatic -- your choice.

Let's come up with some material to fill that zine!!

Sigh... you've only received 3 entries because some of us don't finish what we start... :\ I was figuring I would go down to the wire with mine anyhow. If only real life would stop interfering...

I too am a victim of the dreaded 'real life'.

I was making good progress 'til this last week, when a dental abscess has knocked me for six and severely curtailed my writing.

I still have a couple of months to deadline, though, so don't give up on me yet!

Re: Fanfic Submissions

There will likely be more submissions closer to the 'deadline' posted. Give us at LEAST until then before you cancel the contest. I've had a lot of other things on my plate but will have SOMETHING to submit.

Just Wondering...

Now that the deadline has passed, did you get enough submissions to go ahead with this?
I sent in two so that makes five at least.

Also - are the winners being announced at the convention, or will they be notified before then? Not canvassing, just curious.
I assume that those not lucky enough to be selected are subsequently free to post elsewhere? Or does intellectually property pass to the judges who need to give permission back to the authors for alternate publication?

Hello Helen!

Yes, we received enough submissions to go ahead with the competition.

In answer to your questions:

1: All entrants will be notified prior to the convention as to whether or not they have been sucessful. The overall winner will be announced at the convention.

2: Unsucessful entrants are free to post their story wherever they wish.

3: We will ask our winning authors to hold off on posting their story elsewhere for one year. We hope to raise a nice little additional sum for charity through sales of the fanzine, and people aren't going to pay to buy something that they can get for free on the internet.

EmmaCMF said:
Hello Helen!

Yes, we received enough submissions to go ahead with the competition.

In answer to your questions:

1: All entrants will be notified prior to the convention as to whether or not they have been sucessful. The overall winner will be announced at the convention.

2: Unsucessful entrants are free to post their story wherever they wish.

3: We will ask our winning authors to hold off on posting their story elsewhere for one year. We hope to raise a nice little additional sum for charity through sales of the fanzine, and people aren't going to pay to buy something that they can get for free on the internet.

Thanks, Em.
Makes sense that you want exclusivity on the winning stories, and I'm sure we all want to raise as much for charity as possible.
Good luck to everyone who entered.

If they can be really short I might enter one too. :) just for the fun of it.

jassian said:

Really sorry, Jassian, but you've missed the closing date - unless the panel will take a late entry.

jassian said:

Jassian, unfortunately we can't take late entries, as it would be unfair to those authors that worked hard to bring their story in under the deadline.

I'm so sorry you missed out on your chance to enter, but if you still feel like writing, there is a fan fiction forum here at Al's Place with plenty of readers waiting.

rainerja said:
Darn, I wish I could go. (And I hope my entry does well.) But where will the fanzine be sold, besides at the con?

The fanzine will be available online as a pre-order, with the option of picking it up at the convention, or having it mailed out to you (at additional cost) following its debut at the con.

I'm afraid I can't give you any information on cost at the moment, as we're just about to begin reading and judging the stories, but as soon as we have an idea of the total length of the qualifying stories, I can start getting pricing sorted.

EmmaCMF said:
Jassian, unfortunately we can't take late entries, as it would be unfair to those authors that worked hard to bring their story in under the deadline.

I'm so sorry you missed out on your chance to enter, but if you still feel like writing, there is a fan fiction forum here at Al's Place with plenty of readers waiting.

Oh that's fine. :)
My bad for not being up to date with the deadline. ;)
It's just a really short thing that's been floating around my head, I can just polish it up one day an put it up here somewhere.