Does anyone make an accurate replica of Al's Handlink?

Al_Calavicci

Project QL Intern
Apr 19, 2009
Hi,
Wondering if a fellow Leaper can help me out.
Does anyone know where I can buy a high quality replica of Al's "gummy bear" handlink?
I saw one on YouTube that was built from actual design specs done by Cameron Birnie for the show,has anyone seen this?
I can post the link here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmTxmlVXAYA
It looks fantastic and even has Ziggys sound effects and "squawks".
I would have loved to have it,but I guess it was auctioned off on ebay a while back,and I missed it completely!:banghead
Help! I need my handlink to help Sam! lol!
Does anyone know who made it?

Last edited:
Would there be any on ebay?

I havent seen any on ebay,but according to the guys you tube post he offered his for sale on ebay.
Heaven only knows what it brought!
Unfortunatly I missed it.
It has to be the nicest one I've ever seen and made to the exact same specs as the one on the show.
I have tired messaging the person but to no avail.

Heres a link to the first video of the handlink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsw2-dTP8ow

here is what he says about it
"This is a handlink that was made from a prop designer who won actual specs, via ebay, from Cameron Birnie, the designer on "Quantum Leap". So much *** breaking work was put into this prop. It sounds just as in the show, by pressing a center button, numerous LED lights and wiring inside for the lights, blinking and sound, a poteniometer so the lights blink faster.Also, you turn it on and off for the lights on the bottom left corner as in the show. The colored blocks are acrylic, you can see this is the handlink version in seasons 4 and 5 of the popular series"

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought about it before, but I wonder if Al's whacking and shaking was choreographed? I figured it was motion sensitive and they used special effects/remotes to trigger the sounds and lights. Never thought about Al having to push real buttons and switch it on/off. Things that make me go hmmmm....

I never thought about it before, but I wonder if Al's whacking and shaking was choreographed? I figured it was motion sensitive and they used special effects/remotes to trigger the sounds and lights. Never thought about Al having to push real buttons and switch it on/off. Things that make me go hmmmm....

You can see Al switch the handlink on in some of the episodes,as to the sound effects I dont know if they were dubbed in or not,I would think they were as the sounds from the handlink probably wouldnt be loud enough to be picked up well by the mikes.

yeah believe me something like that would be done in sound-post. It would be a nightmare doing the sounds on the set (especially for the editor) and it would be really unnecessay as Dean would have an easy time improv-ing it. :)

Try asking NeuroMason. A while ago he made a brilliant replica of Al's "gummy-bear" handlink. I'd say it's 99% accurate.

I don't know whether or not he's sold it yet.

Try asking NeuroMason. A while ago he made a brilliant replica of Al's "gummy-bear" handlink. I'd say it's 99% accurate.

I don't know whether or not he's sold it yet.

Thanks!,I have sent him a PM and will see what happens.

Ive Got A new one im building right now!! Its sold though.. but just let me know if anybody wants one... They aren't very easy to build but i don't mind doing the work for true fans such as myself... the pics of the one below are of the handlink just after i finished the acrylic and structure of the handlink.. im about to add the lights and sound effects in a few days...

Handlink89899.jpg

Handlink9903345.jpg

handlink447783.jpg

Imagingchamberhandlink.jpg

imagingchamberhandlinkback.jpg

:cheers

I :dreaming it.

If only I could afford one, but even if I have a long "stuff I need to buy" list before I can get to my "Stuff I'd like to buy" list. :nut

Tis a beauty :hurray:

Just let me know whenever you want one!! I'll be happy to make you one. The Handlinks i build look AWESOME in person! And in pictures but even better in person!! ... Halloween is just around the corner and to go as ADMIRAL AL CALAVICI would be awesome! ;) ;)

I :dreaming it.

If only I could afford one, but even if I have a long "stuff I need to buy" list before I can get to my "Stuff I'd like to buy" list. :nut

Tis a beauty :hurray:

ha ha!! Ok ok.. i apologize! But until you get one then YOUR NOT ALLOWED INTO THE IMAGING CHAMBER!! ha ha..

Hey! Random question since were on this subject sort of... What in the world did Gandolf Say just before he fell into the fire pit on the first LOTR???? He mumbles something and ive never been able to figure it out!!! ;) for real! What does he say??

"Run, you fools!"

I may have to double check but I'm 90% sure that's what it says in the book. :)

Yeah! Thats probably it!! I always thought he said something like "frolic you fools" but im not sure if "Frolic" (spelling??) means to Run? I think it does but either way he probably says "Run".

Yeah! Thats probably it!! I always thought he said something like "frolic you fools" but im not sure if "Frolic" (spelling??) means to Run? I think it does but either way he probably says "Run".

He actually says: "fly, you fools!" (in the movie).

Really? Fly? i mean, i dont doubt you but why "Fly"... i can't believe im thinking about this so much ha ha!! But thank you anyways..

Really? Fly? i mean, i dont doubt you but why "Fly"... i can't believe im thinking about this so much ha ha!! But thank you anyways..

Given the situation, the setting and everything, I believe that, in that case, "fly" basically means 'to run away.'

Fly, you fools! = Run away as fast as you can, you fools!

Or, like jassian said, just "run, you fools!"

Hehehe!

Given the situation, the setting and everything, I believe that, in that case, "fly" basically means 'to run away.'

Fly, you fools! = Run away as fast as you can, you fools!

Or, like jassian said, just "run, you fools!"

Hehehe!

Thanks for correcting :)

Yep,fly is more the old fashioned word for "to escape".
Like to flee. Like in 'fight or flight'.
May have been fly in the books too, it's been a while.

Oh ok.. THanks to both of you for clearing that up! ;) im serious! Everytime ive ever watched that movie i can't seem to make out what he says! Well, now i can... but only cause it makes more sense to me... Thanks again!! (Brad Gives a thumbs up and leaps out) ha ha