Quantum Leap and a video game!

ohboy

Project QL Intern
May 27, 2008
Northern California
Hello all. I think I alluded to writing a short story about Quantum Leap. I finished the first part of it, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions about it. I was thinking of submitting it to the EarthBound website that I belong to, but I wanted to see what everyone here thought of it first.

Anyways, I would love to get any type of feedback, rather you read the entire story (part 1), or just a little bit of it. Remember, I won't get offended over anything constructive that you write. After all, I can't grow as a writer if I don't hear what I need to work on/improve, right? Plus, now the Virtual Seasons writer can all get me back for always yelling about "Traditional Quantum Leap". :lol

Synopsis: Yet another oddity for Project Quantum Leap when Sam leaps into what Ziggy claims is an alternate universe. Sam is now Jeff Andonuts, a student at Snow Wood Boarding House, and with the help of Al, has to travel a great length to save Ness and Paula, and the fate of the world itself.
======================================================
Winters, Foggyland
February 12, 1994

The normal dizziness and disorientation that usually accompanied the beginning of a new leap subsided much quicker than Dr. Sam Beckett expected it to. This could be because he was lying in bed, Sam thought to himself. The room was dark, indicating to Sam that he had leapt into the evening. He felt around himself, and slowly began to sit up to try and get a better look at where he was. Sitting up, it took Sam's eyes a moment to adjust to the darkness that enveloped the room. However, he soon could tell that he was in a rather large room. A dorm room, to be exact, which reminded Sam of his own carefree college days back at M.I.T. Like Sam, whoever he had leaped into, or his "host" as that person was usually called, was a neat freak. On a desk next to Sam's bed were various scientific instruments, neatly lined up on the polished wood. For a brief moment, Sam thought that he could have leaped into a younger version of himself back in college, until he remembered that he never kept a desk by his bed.

Most college students have roommates, Sam thought. A quick turn of the head to the right confirmed this. His roommate, a boy with red hair, looked to be somewhere in his early teens. He looked peaceful in his sleep, so Sam resolved to remain quite as not to wake him. As Sam began to get out of his bed, preferably to find a place like a bathroom in which he could wait for his holographic friend Al, he could feel a textbook sliding down his stomach. As he reached to pick it up, he could feel a starched shirt underneath. Because it was dark, Sam felt around himself, and was surprised to see that he was wearing a suit and bowtie.

The surprise, however, quickly turned into a chuckle. Sam could remember falling asleep while reading, and it usually was a textbook. He had the feeling that whatever wrong he was put there to right, he could easily act like the person he had leapt into. Which reminded him that he had nothing on who he was, outside of a young man that loved science.

Of course, Dr. Samuel Beckett was placed in much more hectic situations, with much less information to work with, so he supposed he should be grateful. His eyes fully adjusted to the room, he quietly walked towards the door, deciding that whatever he had to do, it wasn't sleep. However, as he got half-way to his destination, he heard a voice.

"Jeff? Is that you?"

Sam turned around to notice the boy in the other bed sit up. Quickly, Sam tried to think of a cover. "Uh yeah, it's me," he said, hoping he was Jeff. "Sorry to wake you."

"No, it's okay," Tony said, beginning to sit up. "I just had a dream about us. We were taking a walk."

"Oh?" Sam asked, not knowing how to respond. He figured from this comment that he was close friends with this boy.

"Yeah," Tony smiled. "So, where are you going so late at night? You know if you get caught, you'll get in trouble."

Before Sam could answer, he heard a familiar voice behind him. "Sam... We need to talk! Now!"

"Uh, I just had to go to the bathroom. Can't punish a guy for going to the bathroom, can they?" Sam asked.

"I guess not," Tony said.

Sam nodded, and walked through the door. Outside, in the empty hall, Sam could see his holographic friend from the future. The only person that could see Al was Sam, with the exception of children younger than five, animals, and the crazy. Good thing, considering the way he dresses. Today was no exception, as Al was wearing a ketchup-red suit, a black tie, and a matching red hat with a black band, all surrounding a pale blue shirt.

"Where's the bathroom?" Sam asked his friend.

Al cocked his head towards one side of the hall. "Just go to the last door on the left."

Quickly doing so, Sam entered the bathroom, and locked the door behind him. At least him and Al could have a bit of privacy now, and find out why he was here. Sam hated always having to discuss leaps in bathrooms, but they were the best place in a pinch.

"Look at you, Sam. You look like a nerd," Al chuckled to his friend.
Sam looked at the mirror in the bathroom, and was very surprised how clean the mirror was. But Al was right; he did look like a stereotypical nerd. He was donned in a green suit, a white shirt, and a black bowtie. Jeff also had blonde hair, freckles, and Sam now noticed for the first time, thick glasses. "

"Not a nerd," he argued. "Just... someone who is interested in his studies and takes pride in how he dresses. Anyways, where am I?"

Al tapped at the handlink he was holding. The handlink was a miniature device that allowed Al to get data directly from Ziggy, the hybrid computer back at Project Quantum Leap. While Ziggy had no control over where or when Sam leapt (it was generally believed that God, Fate, Time, or Whoever did this), the computer provided data on what wrong Sam had to put right.

"Uh, this is weird," Al said as he looked at his friend. "Ziggy's going crazy!"

"What's weird?" the leaper asked impatiently.

"Ziggy insists that you're in some kind of alternate dimension or something. Sam, you're not on Earth."

Sam rolled his eyes. "Is this some kind of prank? Because if you don't have any useful information..."

"No joke," the observer gently interrupted. "Ziggy doesn't know where you are, or how this happened. She was surprised she could even get a lock on you as quickly as she did."

"Are you sure about this?" Sam asked desperately. He was used to oddities during his many years through time, but he was never warped to some alien planet.

Al tapped the handlink again. "The best logical explanation she'll give is a 21.7% chance that you're in somebody's dream."

"A dream, Al?" Sam asked, not believing what he heard.

"You did it once before, though your swiss-chessed memory probably doesn't remember it. The same thing could have happened here."

Sam cursed his spotty memory, which was one of the side-effects of leaping through time. He had trouble remembering different parts of his past, including both before and after he started leaping. However, he knew that Al wouldn't lie to him.

"Okay, let's ay I'm in a dream," Sam sighed. "What am I, and what am I here to do?"

The hologram perked up. "Good idea, let's focus on how to get you out of here. Let's see... Your name is Jeff Andonuts. Your mother died ten years ago, and your father put you in the Snow Wood Boarding School. You've been here almost all your life. Haven't seen your father since you were four. Poor kid."

Sam quickly did the math. That would make him fourteen. "We have the who. Now, what does Ziggy say I'm here to do? Reunite Jeff with his father?"

"We don't know, Sam. I'm gonna talk to Jeff in the waiting room."
"You do that," Sam said as he began to walk towards the door of the bathroom. He could see a door of light that appear, which Al used to go between Sam's time and his own. However, before he left, he heard Al's voice once more.

"Uh Sam, Ziggy just got something. She calculates that no major problems occur inside the Boarding House, so you'll need to somehow sneak off."
"How am I supposed to do that?" Sam asked.

"You're the genius, you figure it out." Al smiled to let Sam know he was teasing. Then, with a whoosh, he was gone.

Sam stepped out of the bathroom, and closed the door behind him. As he did so, he saw the boy his roommate waiting by the bathroom door. He was not dressed in the same outfit as Jeff, in addition to a black brimmed hat.

"Sorry Jeff. You just seemed to be in there so long, I started to get worried."

"That's okay," Sam said. "By the way, I'm still a bit groggy. Uh, could you remind me where the exit to this place is?"

"The exit? Jeff... you're not planning on running away, are you?"

Sam didn't know how to answer the boy. He tried to his formulate a vague response, one that would hopefully satisfy Jeff's friend.

"It's hard to explain. However... I have a strange feeling, like somebody is telling me that I have a special job to complete. I don't know how to explain it, but I have to get out of here."

The boy sighed. Sam expected him to argue, or think Jeff was crazy. However, his response surprised him.

"I knew from the moment I woke up, and I looked into your eyes, that something had changed. There was something different. Jeff, if you really have to leave, then I won't stop you." All that Sam could see in his face was understanding.

Sam knew at that moment that he had a very strong friendship with this boy, if he could accept what Jeff said, even something crazy as that, without questioning it. Ironically, I don't even know his name, Sam thought. "Thank you," was all the leaper could say.

"Before we leave, I think we should see Maxwell. He could probably help get you set up for your journey," the boy suggested.

Figuring that it was the best course of action, since Sam had no other, he nodded in agreement. "Okay, let's see Maxwell. Lead the way."

Together, the two of them began to walk down the hall; Sam remaining just a step behind so he could follow Tony.

=======================================================
Stallion's Gate, New Mexico
October 14, 1999

Jeff Andonuts had no idea where he was. One moment, he was reading a textbook. The next, the voice of a sweet young girl entered his head, asking him to travel south for their rescue. Now he was in some strange laboratory setting. Looking down, he could see that he was also wearing some type of white turtleneck and pants. He had just finished talking to a doctor who called her Dr. Beeks, who had told him that he was part of a government experiment involved in time travel.

Before he had anymore time to think about what happened to him, a man in a red suit walked into the room. Jeff sat up straighter, hoping that this man could better explain where he was, something that Dr. Beeks seemed uncomfortable telling him, and hence only dropped vague hints at the matter.

"How are you feelin', Jeff?" the man asked.

"Quite well," Jeff replied. "May I ask, though, where I am, and who you are?"

"My name is Al. I run this place. As to where you are, all I can say is that you're part of a time travel experiment."

"Dr. Beeks, who was here before you, told me that much," Jeff said with no trace of impatience in his voice.

"What I bet she didn't tell you is that you've switched places with a scientist named Samuel Beckett."

Jeff laughed. "You're joking, right?"

Al's face showed no hint of humor. "Why don't you take a look at yourself in the mirror?" He then pointed towards a mirror in the center of the room.
Jeff decided the best course of action was to humor the man, and he thus twisted his head so he could take a look at the polished glass that lay atop a desk in the center of the room. What the aspiring scientists saw made him involuntarily gasp. In place of his blond hair and freckles was brown hair covering the head of a man in his forties.

"This has to be some kind of trick mirror," Jeff decided aloud.

Al shook his head. "No trick, Jeff. You're him, and he's you."

Jeff turned his attention back to Al. "Why am I here?"

"You're here because..." Al began, which Jeff saw as Al deciding how much he should tell him. Finally, the man resumed his explanation. "Dr. Beckett leaps into different people in order to put something right that had once went wrong. You are the person in the best situation to fix a given problem. That's why you're here."

"So does that make you responsible for that voice?" Jeff asked.

Al perked up a bit. "What voice?"

"A girl's voice. I heard it after I fell asleep."
"Was it Ziggy?" Al asked.

"I had no contact with Mr. Jeff Andonuts before or since he traded places with Dr. Beckett," Ziggy purred, her sexy, female voice filling the room.

"It didn't sound like that," Jeff replied, amazed by the technology this project had. "She said her name was Paula, and she and her friend were in trouble."

"So you dreamt this?" Al asked. Jeff could see that Al was getting very interested in this conversation.

He shook his head. "No, not dreamt. It was more like, well, you'd probably believe I'm crazy."

Al grinned. "Kid, you're inside a waiting room because a scientist switched places with you from the future, and you just heard a hybrid computer talk. I think we've passed what most would call 'crazy'.

Jeff smiled back. "You've made your point. Alright, it seemed like telepathy. Paula said to me that she and Ness, a friend she was with, were in some type of problem. They said that despite my distance, I was the only one that could help them, and I should travel south."

"Travel south, huh..." Al said, pausing for a moment. "Ziggy, I know it's a reach, but what's the possibility Sam's here to help Paula?" As Al asked Ziggy, he looked up towards the ceiling.

"There is an 87.9% chance that is what Dr. Beckett is here to do," Ziggy replied quickly.

Al stood up, and began to head towards the door. However, he turned around to take one last look at Jeff. "Thanks, kid. I think you just helped us all out."

"Uh, anytime..." Jeff replied. Then, Al left the waiting room, leaving a very confused Jeff sitting alone. Deciding that there was nothing left to do, he decided to try and get some sleep.

=======================================================
Winters, Foggyland
February 12, 1994

"Dr. Maxwell?" Tony (as Sam found out through conversation on the way to the office) asked as he knocked on the door to an office that, from the looks of the door, was identical to all the other office doors. The sole exception was the nameplate about the small window separating the hall from the class that read "Dr. J. Maxwell".

"Come in!" A voice called from behind the closed door. The voice sounded nice enough, which made Sam feel more comfortable, and made him believe what Tony said about Maxwell being a friend to all the students. Tony opened the door, and Sam followed closely behind.

When they entered, Sam looked around the office. A desk, a large table with various types of chemicals spread throughout the surface, and a large chalkboard that was filled with chemical equations was what the fellow scientist saw as he examined Dr. Maxwell's office. He had a feeling that Maxwell did a lot more in this office than grade papers.

"What keeps you kids up so late?" Maxwell asked good-naturedly. "Looking for a midnight snack?"

Tony laughed as Sam studied the chalkboard. "You left off a valence electron in the combustion of hydrogen boride," the quantum physicist said, pointing to the mistake...

Maxwell chuckled as he added the extra dot. "That's why you're my top pupil, Jeff," Maxwell praised.

"No problem," Sam replied.

"Ahem," Tony interrupted. "Dr. Maxwell, Jeff needs to leave Snow Wood, and we need your help."

"You want to leave Snow Wood, huh? May I first ask why?" Maxwell asked as he sat at his desk and stared at Sam.

Sam was dreading being asked this, because he had no answer. However, he was saved by the voice of his holographic friend. "Tell him you want to visit your father," he ordered. Sam almost jumped back at the scare Al gave him.

"I want to see my father?" Sam said, his confusion making the statement sound like a question.

Maxwell sighed. "Your father, Dr. Richard Andonuts, was a brilliant man," Maxwell said. "He was founder of the Ultra-Science club, you know, and quite possibly even more brilliant than Einstein or Hindenburg. The only stupid thing he's ever done, however, is not visit you in the ten years you've lived here."

Sam and Tony looked at their professor as he pulled out a very old-looking key that was slightly bent from his desk. "What's that?" Sam asked.

"You deserve a chance to see your father. Next door is a locker room where a lot of old equipment is stored. There should be something in there that could help you," Maxwell said. "I think I still have a gun in there you'd better take with you."

"A gun?" asked Sam, surprised. What do I need a gun for?"

"Well, for one, there's a lot of wild animals in these parts. You may need it to save your own skin," Maxwell explained. "For another, who knows what crazies you might run into?"

"Normally, I wouldn't condone giving a fourteen-year-old a firearm," Al told Sam. "But in this case, I think you'd better listen to him."

"Okay," Sam said to both Al and Maxwell. He then reached over and grabbed the key from his hand.

"Come back here before you leave." As Sam and Tony began to leave the room, he called out again. "Oh, and Tony?"

Both turned around. "Yes Dr. Maxwell?"

"I was going to call you in here tomorrow, but now's as good a time as any. I need to talk to you about a paper you submitted."

"Oh, okay," Tony said, before turning to his friend. "I'll just be waiting here for you, okay?"

Sam nodded. "Don't worry, I'll be back."

Sam, flanked by his holographic friend, exited the room. He then checked to make sure that the hall was empty before he turned to his friend. The two of them began to walk to the room next to Maxwell's office.
"Well, what did you find out?" Sam asked.

Al straightened his tie. "Well, Ziggy says that you're here to save some kids that are trapped underground. Apparently, some nozzle left them there, and they, or rather their bodies, are found a few week's later. Oh, and get this, Sam. Apparently what happened to those two kids somehow cause the whole world to get invaded by some alien named Giygas."
Sam rolled his eyes, as he opened the door to the locker room and stepped inside. "So you're trying to tell me that this is like some cheesy movie where space aliens take over the world? You really expect me to believe that, Al?"

Al pushed a button on his handlink. "Ziggy swears that's what happens. This is all getting so weird, I don't know what to believe anymore. Anyways, we still don't know where if you're in a dream, or an alternate reality. The Project doesn't even know where Ziggy is getting all the data she's using to tell where you are and why you're here. So no, I don't expect you to believe it. I don't even believe it."

Going towards the lockers, Sam took out the key from his jacket pocket, and began to open one of the lockers. "What I am I looking for anyways?" Besides a gun?" he snidely added.

"Basically, anything that you think would be needed for a journey across the ocean."

Sam's eyes widened and he left the key in the lock to turn around. Despite how many leaps Al had helped him through, Sam had a bad habit of shooting the messenger whenever he heard something he didn't like. However, Al's goofy smile was part of what fueled Sam's annoyance.
"Just where exactly is my destination?"

"Uh, some town called Threed. Apparently, it's across an ocean, and the nearest dock, should you choose to sail there, is about a week's walk."
"Wonderful," was the sarcastic reply. "So what, I'm supposed to fly."
Al took a cigar from his jacket pocket, lit it, and took a puff. "How would I know? Wait a minute. Isn't Jeff's dad a genius?"

"Yeah, I think so. Why?"

"Well, maybe he has a flying machine, or could help you somehow. Besides, maybe the whole point of the leap really is just to reunite Jeff with his father. Ziggy wasn't one hundred percent sure you had to save those kids."

Sam sighed, and then turned back around to try to open the locker. "It's stuck."

"What is?"

"The key. It seems like its bent or rusted, or something."

"You'd better tell you're professor, then," Al suggested.

"Yeah, I should," Sam agreed. "By the way, before I go back, could you tell me who Tony is, the one that's friends with Jeff?"

Al punched a command to the handlink, and read the results. "Well, his full name is Tony Damascus. Apparently, you two have been friends for as long as you've been here. You both seemed to start the same year."

Sam began to walk out of the room, flanked by his holographic friend. "And the doctor?"

"You mean Dr. Jonas Maxwell. Science teacher here at Snow Wood. Not much else on him, except he has one of the highest I.Q.s among the teachers."

"Okay, thanks," Sam said as he stopped before Maxwell's door.
"Sure thing, kid. I'm gonna go back and see what else I can get. I should mention that Jeff is one smart cookie. He could be the Sam Beckett of wherever the hell you happen to be."

Sam smiled at the compliment as Al opened the door to remove himself from the imaging chamber. When he left, Sam turned and opened the door to Maxwell's office. When he came in, Tony and Maxwell looked up from their discussion.

"Hope I wasn't interrupting," he said as he pulled out the rusted key.
Maxwell shook his head. "No, I found out what I needed to. So, how did it go at the locker room?"

Sam set the rusted key on his desk. "I think the key's broken," Sam noted.
"Look's like your right," Maxwell agreed, opening one of his drawers in the desk. "I prepared for such an occasion a long time ago." He then pulled out another key. This one, however, was more like a knob with a straight bar attached to it.

"What is it?" Tony asked.

"I call it: The Machine that comes in Handy when you've been given a Bad Key. Or the Bad Key Machine, for short." Maxwell was now beaming with pride as he explained his odd invention. "It can open any door, because it adjusts to the lock, so it becomes exactly the size needed. Just press the red button on the side of the knob."

Sam took the odd looking key, and put it in his pocket. "Thank you, sir."
"No problem, Jeff. I really hope you find your father. If you need anything from me, don't hesitate to call my office," the professor said, handing Sam a slip of paper with a telephone number written on it. "Good luck, Mr. Andonuts."

Sam thanked the professor once more, and then he and Tony left and returned to the locker room. This time, when Sam tried one of the locks using the Bad Key Machine, it opened.

"I think that's the gun Maxwell was referring to," Tony said, pointing to a firearm that looked different than anything Sam had seen before.

He picked up the strange object, and felt around it for where the trigger was. Despite growing up in Elk Ridge, Indiana, and being quite good at hunting quail, Sam hated using guns. He never wanted to take the life of anything, even if it was evil. But he figured that he could use the gun to simply scare away danger. Besides, it would make Al happier. So he took it, and stuck it in his jacket pocket. The only other thing that Tony suggested taking was a broken gun. Sam reluctantly took it with him as well, being told that he was a whiz at fixing things. After looking through all the lockers, Sam turned back to Tony.

"All ready?" Tony asked.

"I guess," was Sam's reply. "But what about food and water?"

"There's a drug store right outside Snow Wood," Tony informed him. "It would probably be safer to buy some food from there, rather than try to go back and get some. Remember, you could still get in trouble if you get caught."

"I guess you're right," Sam replied, hoping he had some money on him. He was relieved to find a few dollars in his pants pocket. Figuring that he had what he needed, he should probably try to get out before he did get caught. "I think I have everything I need."

"Okay. Let’s go, then." The two then began to walk out of the room. Again, Sam followed Tony, who led them outside the Snow Wood Boarding House.

Outside, All Sam could see was snow covering the ground. He cursed inside; this leap wasn't going to give him a break. Attributing it to both the fact it was nice, and they were in a harsh terrain, Sam noticed that silence pierced the evening. Their footsteps were the only things that disrupted the otherwise quiet evening. Sam also saw a very large iron gate, which was too high up for him to jump over, and it looked like it was locked.

"Is there another way out?" Sam asked, referring to the gate.
In response, Tony walked towards the gate. Sam was wondering what he was doing, but decided the best course of action was to follow. However, Sam could see Tony bending down next to the gate.

"Jeff, the only way to get over is to climb over me, and then jump the fence."

"What!?" Sam was shocked at hearing what he would have to do. Even with the snow that would cushion his fall, he would still fall a good ways down if he didn't jump over correctly. Finally, he resolved that he would jump over, because he didn't want to be stuck here forever.

"Good luck, Jeff," Tony said as Sam began to walk towards him. "We will always be the best of friends."

Sam carefully climbed on Tony's back, and then began to prop himself up over the gate. He then put one foot on the top of the gate, then put the other one up a bit, and jumped over. He was actually surprised that he landed without on his feet. Sam turned around once more to thank Tony.
"Good-bye, Jeff," he replied, before turning around and quickly walking back towards the boarding house.

Sam took a moment to take in his surroundings on the conditions that he would have to be traveling in. He hoped that Al would get here soon, because he didn't even know where south was. Plus, he wanted the company. Sam surveyed the land in front of him. More snow blanketed the ground, only now it came past his ankles. With Tony gone, and Sam not moving, there was an eerie silence that covered the area. Above him were pine trees caked with snow, the browns of the trees a stark contrast to the white snow that completely surrounded them.

Sam Beckett didn't know what he was up against, but he knew that he wasn't near a town or city. He also knew that he would have to brave this wilderness alone, since Al was a hologram and could do little more than provide information and moral support. Sam could sum up his feelings in two words.

"Oh boy!"

Last edited:
With a great deal of help from Jassian, I went through and redid parts of Part One. Rather than try to reformat the entire story again to fit this window, I'm just attaching a word document with the changes highlighted in red. Now I can start work on Part Two, when time and interset permits.

Attachments

• Quantum Leaping Through Winters (Word Document).doc
    68.5 KB · Views: 34
Wow, I hope that's "good interesting", and not "politely-saying-its-bad" interesting. :lol But thanks for reading it, Angvav.

I would like to say that I haven't forgotten about this story. I did write a good portion, almost all of the next part, and then my notebook (I usually start by writing stories long-hand) got thrown out on accident, so I had to rewrite the story. Now, I have other writing things to get done, but I do hope to finish the story by the end of the year. I'm glad you brought "Quantum Leaping to Winters" to my mind, Angvav.