Some news regarding the new QL project

Glitter Rock

Project QL Intern
Aug 10, 2005
South Florida
I would like to share with you all a response I received from a note I wrote to DPB a couple of months ago. I don't have a scanner to scan it and post as an attachment, so I'll just copy it verbatim as it isn't very long:

Thank you for your letter. Yes, there is a new Quantum Leap project currently in development, however there is very little information about it at this time. It is being produced by Universal (I believe for the Sci-Fi channel) and Mr. Bellisario is involved mainly on a consulting basis, as his other projects take up the majority of his time. I believe that the Trey Callaway script was not up to par and another writer has been hired to rewrite it. We do not know anything more about the status of the project at this time, however you might want to contact Universal/Sci-Fi for more information.

It was signed by a Patty Sachs, asst. to Mt. Bellisario. While it is nice to hear that at least there seems to be some work going on with the project, it is also a bit disappointing to hear it has essentially gone back to "the drawing board".

All right, finally at least a little something new. I don't mind so much that the Trey Callaway script got scrapped, because frankly, it didn't sound too promising to me to begin with. I guess it's bad that what was already an excruciatingly slow start will be even slower, but if the final product will be better because of that, so be it. Thanks for the info!

Well, I'd rather they take longer and make it the best possible movie/series they can than rush it and make it something the fans might not be as excited about.

At least they're trying. That's always good, that the studio is still interested. Obviously they know that the fans are still interested, but I really do need to get another phase of the Initiative going, just for us to send letters of encouragement and let them know we're still here and waiting.

Joy

I guess when they saw the frustations in the fan's faces over the DVDs mess, Universal Studios knew they had to get this one right. However, since they have decided to re-write and Scott Bakula is free from ST: Enterprise committments, could this mean he could have a more substantial role in the telefilm?

QL news

I spoke to Harriet a few days ago and she said just about the same thing, she said Don is still busy with NCIS and that scifi is still supposed to do it, she also said they take forever to pencil through everything and have it go through all the different levels it needs to, she said she was going to ask Don what the status was on it and have them get back to me within the next few weeks, so I'm hoping for a letter as well.
She also said to keep watching for announcements on the scifi channel about it sometime soon.

Last edited:
Cool. I'm quite happy that theyre changing from Callaway's idea also. Of course what we all want is Scott and Dean, hopefully they'll go with that, although I fear that studio exec's would be more interested in pursuing a young female lead to catch their vital demographics of a 16 to 25 yr old audience...

I'm not surprised that they ran into trouble... when the basic synopsis leaked out, reviews from the fans were LESS than happy! LOL! Hopefully though, with Scott's time now available Sans Enterprise, maybe they can work something out!

As for the Sci Fi Channel, the sheer fact that people are still tuning into the bastard show "Battlestar Galactica" shows that they'll do anything, anytime. Don't expect too much loyalty from them in remaining true to Don's vision.

I just hope that the ridiculous change of Sammy Jo's age will finally be scrapped. It was silly that we had to dedicate many discussions coming up with theories as to how it would've been possible for her to be in her 20s. Honestly, though, I can't help but feel a little skeptical as to the quality of potential scripts unless they're written by Mr. Bellisario himself. Usually when I'm into a show, I find that eventually the creator and/or writers like to move onto other projects, or do multiple ones simultaneously. And as a result, the original projects almost always suffer for it in terms of maintaining the same level of quality they once had. In this case, though, it seems that Don is very dedicated to NCIS and NCIS only since JAG had been canceled. I personally hope all these production obstacles motivate Don to take matters into his own hands and have a lot more input in the Quantum Leap project, like writing the entire script himself. It's kind of frustrating the one time I'd actually prefer a creator of a show to divert his attention elsewhere and it doesn't happen.

I totally agree with the last statement...if DB isn't involved enough, the sci-fi channel will ruin it!! I would rather not see anything at all if it means sacrificing the original intent of the story...
Oh and I hope that if it does air, that Scott will be in it more...Maybe if Don B gets fed up enough by the way things are going, he will get involved and take over...I can only hope...