A New Hunt! When did we find out Al's last name?

Are you sure about that? What about the episode "honeymoon express"(first episode in the second season),when Al was in A government committee ,that threatend to shut down Quantum Leap, as a representetive of the project. Didn't the judges turn to him as Admiral Calavicci?!(at least once)

isz said:
Are you sure about that? What about the episode "honeymoon express"(first episode in the second season),when Al was in A government committee ,that threatend to shut down Quantum Leap, as a representetive of the project. Didn't the judges turn to him as Admiral Calavicci?!(at least once)
This is what I was thinking...

Then it's definitely MIA. When Sam meets Beth Calavicci, he has no idea that she's connected with Al and neither does the first-time viewer. (I didn't recognize the name the first time I watched it, only a year ago. Which was a good thing. You wouldn't want to be spoiled for that ep.)

No it was not mentioned in Honeymoon Express. He was referred to there as only Admiral. It can't be mentioned before M.I.A as the idea of the episode is that the first time viewer and Sam are not supposed to know that Beth has anything to do with Al.

Last edited:
I assume everyone here knows that Dean didn't know Al was a full admiral until he got the script for "Honeymoon Express." I found that very interesting.

cookiemom6067 said:
I assume everyone here knows that Dean didn't know Al was a full admiral until he got the script for "Honeymoon Express." I found that very interesting.

They say DPB is "very protective of his material," and this looks like an example of that. He also got Scott to sign up for the part of Sam after reading only two scenes--they didn't even give Scott a whole script.

I would have loved to see Dean's reaction to reading that script for the first time!

cookiemom6067 said:

You assumed wrong hun. This is new info for me. Very interesting though.
I know the story about Scott though, Don just fell in love with him I remember him saying his heart beat very fast when Scott starting reading and he knew that was his Sam. hehe so even if Don did give him a full script it didn't require that much for Scott to score the part. :)

isz said:

As the person who coined the phrase "Al-coholic" back in '95 on rec.arts.sf.tv.quantum-leap (RASTQL), I'm 100% confident of that. ;)

I watched H.E. during my lunchbreak today, and no mention of Calavicci was made. Not in dialogue, nor in the Dutch subtitles of the version I was watching.
Just what is Dutch for Calavicci anyway? :lol

I thought Al told it to Sam in the pilot episode, when he was introducing (or re-introducing) himself.

Aging Boomer said:
I thought Al told it to Sam in the pilot episode, when he was introducing (or re-introducing) himself.

"My name is Albert, Albert what I can't tell you thats classified, most everything you'll want to know is classified so its best if you don't ask a lot of questions."

;)

"what are you?"
"thats a question Sam"

Hehe I just had to add the rest of that cuz I just love it.:lol

By the time I saw M.I.A. I already knew Al's name. But I believe that that is the first mention.

When Sam meets Beth Calavicci, he has no idea that she's connected with Al and neither does the first-time viewer.

This would be one of the many things that make this one of the best eps. We really find out when Sam sees the photo on the mantle. Right?

Yes thats right SBeckett. And she's seen showing it to Dirk a little before but we don't see it so we don't know it's Al. Then Sam is looking at pretty stuff on the mantle while Beth changes her clothes and he happens upon the photo.

By the time I saw M.I.A. I already knew Al's name. But I believe that that is the first mention.

Yeah it has to be or the ep is ruined. Somone must have blabbed to you before you saw it.

Yeah thats true, thats how B-man got ruined for me, my guy friend told my best friends sister about reading about it here at Al's and then my best friend's sister told my best friend who then told me.

SBeckett said:
This would be one of the many things that make this one of the best eps. We really find out when Sam sees the photo on the mantle. Right?

Yes, that's when it's revealed, or when it's confirmed if you guessed. I figured it out shortly before Sam did, when Al was walking through the house alone. Ever since then, every time I watch this episode, I can't believe I didn't figure it out a lot sooner. They were dropping hints all over the place. I guess that's a sign of good writing, and good acting too.

I think it's very tricky to pull off this kind of episode, where the plot twist has to be hidden in plain sight, so to speak. I was so caught up in the story that I didn't think ahead about how it might turn out. I assumed, like Sam, that Al was taking it personally because it was parallel to his own life, the way he did in "Jimmy." I believed Al because he very rarely lies to Sam.

I also believe that Sam didn't succeed in fixing things for Al because Al used deception to try to get what he wanted. In "Star Crossed," Sam is honest about what he wants to do and he openly begs Al for information about Donna's father. But Al tries to manipulate Sam into fixing things for him, believing Sam won't help him if he knows the truth. But I digress.

Anyway, I'm very lucky I didn't know the name Calavicci, because I had already seen some of the later episodes, including "A Leap for Lisa." Now I'm confused about how I could have seen that episode and not know Al's last name. I think this means I have to go watch it...

Holy mackerel. I did go watch it. (God, I love that episode!) The name Calavicci is all over "Leap for Lisa." But after I first watched it last year, I got the DVDs and started watching the series in order, and conveniently swiss-cheesed the name. I guess there's something to be said for having a bad memory! I swear, when I watched MIA, "Beth Calavicci" didn't ring any bells with me!

Al: My name is Albert. Albert what, I can't tell you.
Me: Okay!

Last edited:
snish said:
I also believe that Sam didn't succeed in fixing things for Al because Al used deception to try to get what he wanted. In "Star Crossed," Sam is honest about what he wants to do and he openly begs Al for information about Donna's father. But Al tries to manipulate Sam into fixing things for him, believing Sam won't help him if he knows the truth. But I digress.

I agree cuz even if Sam did have doubts about getting Al's help if he knew the truth he still told the truth anyway because he wanted his Donna. Thus is worked better. But if Al had jusy told Sam the truth in the beginning Sam may have tried harder and possibly succeeded but also still had time to save Scaggs. I guess Al forgot that the truth sets you free. Well thats jow the saying goes anyway.

ArtyHelen said:
How did you "lose" a DVD set...? 8o​

I had all my DVDs in a small round travel case to take with me on a trip. I'm certain it got home, but who knows where it ended up. Lost all five seasons, and my two-disc set of Die Another Day.

I've "spelunked" under the bed in search of the case. Found some long-lost items, but no DVD case. Boy, I should go under there more often. :alien

Awwwww. :( That's really too bad. I'm sure there are little hobgoblins which take things from humans' houses!:eek: Hope they return your stuff some day. ;)

Helen

Al The Observer said:
I had all my DVDs in a small round travel case to take with me on a trip. I'm certain it got home, but who knows where it ended up. Lost all five seasons, and my two-disc set of Die Another Day.

I've "spelunked" under the bed in search of the case. Found some long-lost items, but no DVD case. Boy, I should go under there more often. :alien

Dang you mean they may have gotten lost in the luggage? Oh no that would suck. I hope you find them.