Why did Sam throw a pie at Al in stand up

CynthialovesQuantumLeap

Project QL Intern
Aug 12, 2008
Hi everyone sorry for not posting for so long lots was going on.
My question is why did Sam throw that pie at al in Stand up.
Thank you

I'm guessing at least part of it was to make people laugh at the idea of Sam throwing a pie or cake at someone he couldn't actually hit... :) It's been awhile since I've seen that one. I'll have to listen to what they were saying to each other again to get a better idea.

It wasn't one of my favorite episodes; however, hearing Scott sing "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" is enough to make me like it. :dreaming

It's been a while since I've watched this episode, but I don't remember there being any particular reason other than they were going for a laugh like Michelle said. I dislike this episode. They were trying way too hard and IMO it just felt forced and fell flat. I like Amy Yasbeck though.

They could have done more with it; it had potential but it wasn't one of the better episodes. However, getting to hear Scott sing mitigated that somewhat.

I watched the end again on Netflix...Al told Sam he had something on his face (frosting from the fight with the two thugs kidnapping Mack) and it must have annoyed Sam. It was kind of cute; it was Al being Al and Sam being Sam.

I'm going with Michelle's theory of the pure humor of the character's forgetting they can't make physical contact. Such as in Season 5's Promised Land when they find the proof they need that farmland is being stolen from underneath innocent families they start to high five but catch themselves. One of my best friend's and my favorite Sam and Al moments.

I agree with everyone else. And may I add that it also has to do with an earlier scene: When they were in the car, Al was kinda mocking Sam about him not being funny and that he still had to go out to do the comedy or something like that, and Sam told him that the next time he said something, he was going to hit him and Al replied "You can't hit me, I'm a hologram." So yeah, he was right when Sam threw the pie at him but Sam didn't care anymore because the pie was still in Al's face but only symbolically, hahaha! Pure comedy goals. That was actually the only scene from that episode that made me laugh a bit, but aside from that, I agree with all of you. This is my least favorite episode from the series, and the only one that, in all honesty, was a bit painful to get through, although it raises some good points about love and communication.

I agree with everyone else. And may I add that it also has to do with an earlier scene: When they were in the car, Al was kinda mocking Sam about him not being funny and that he still had to go out to do the comedy or something like that, and Sam told him that the next time he said something, he was going to hit him and Al replied "You can't hit me, I'm a hologram." So yeah, he was right when Sam threw the pie at him but Sam didn't care anymore because the pie was still in Al's face but only symbolically, hahaha! Pure comedy goals. That was actually the only scene from that episode that made me laugh a bit, but aside from that, I agree with all of you. This is my least favorite episode from the series, and the only one that, in all honesty, was a bit painful to get through, although it raises some good points about love and communication.

Interesting I have never viewed it from that angle, but there probably is a connection there.
Personally my best friend and I get a kick out of the whole "You fired us!" argument. XD

Interesting I have never viewed it from that angle, but there probably is a connection there.
Personally my best friend and I get a kick out of the whole "You fired us!" argument. XD

You know, I may rethink my position later. Stand-Up may not be my least favorite episode. I think that will go for "Goodbye, Norma Jean". Now, THAT was a painful episode.

You're right. The "You're fired!" thing is funny, especially with that guy's accent.