Quantum Leap Hiccups

Oh and i found a new line i like
when Sam is driving with peg in genesis, and he goes into the whole
"i'm not Tom Stratton" thing, and she gets freaked but then Sam gives in and says hes being a nerd.

Peg: Thank god, you scared me to death, i thought you had a brain tumor or something!
Sam: i never thought of that!

hehe.

right... i duno if its just an american thing or i just dont get the joke coz im an innocent lil 16 year old [attempts to look angelic]... but i dont get the line about "If a pound of butter is all it takes, I got me a dairy farm-", didnt seem at all dirty to me. someone explain plz [looks embarrased]

right, i was a little confused myself, and i am older than you, but it clicked after a tiny bit. Cuz also if you noticed before after Al makes up for mentioning the non exsistant sweet n low and equal, by saying that its Uncle Sam's idea for rations Kelly says that mike likes to put all her sugar into his cup as he is doing so at the very moment. and mike says
"are you forgetting who slips you an extra pound of butter ever now and then" and as he is saying this he tugs at his pants as if trying to indicate something not innocent that we all know of.

than Sam comes in with his line as a response to Mike.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
So guys, what are some Ql lines or moments that make you laugh really hard.

In Future Boy, i laughed histerically at the Scrubo commercial, where Sam had to be in that huge sponge custume.

In Star Light Star Bright when Al was telling Sam about Maxwell in the waiting room and said this line
"You wanna know what he says to me, 'take me to your leader', so i turned him over to Gushi, said he was the king of the planet halatosis"

And at Sam in the carmon meranda outfit, in Miss Deep South.

oh and the vampire jokes in Blood Moon.

I laughed so hard at these moments that i was afriad my mom would come in my room and bust me, but she never did, hehe.

Sam = "Mo! Larry, Curly... (does the 3 stoogas laugh)"

I always seemed to get a small laugh out of this. I think this was in the episode Future Boy.

The_P_Man

oh yeah, i loved when he got out of the cab in traffic and hopped on the top of the cars to get to Annie at the end, and halfway through the scene they show Dr. Ruth in one of the car windows, lol.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
oh yeah, i loved when he got out of the cab in traffic and hopped on the top of the cars to get to Annie at the end, and halfway through the scene they show Dr. Ruth in one of the car windows, lol.

Another amusing part of the episode is when we see Dr.Ruth trying to help Al in the waiting room.

Oh yes and Al made all these references to Breasts, and then Dr. Ruth tells him to say it and he finally does
Dr. Ruth: there you see, it wasnt so hard.
Al: yes it was!

and another line that cracks me up that i remembered is in Memphis Melody at the beginning when Sam is singing "Land of Dixie" and hes not doing very well because he's having a bit of stage fright i think.

Sam: Oh I wish I were in the land of Dixie
Al: Sam, its I wish I was in the land of Dixie not were
Al: Sam you're not even trying!
Sam: ...away...
Al: oh boy!
Sam: ...away...
Al: ooooh boy!

and then at the end when Sam does the finishing note and Al mutters "ow".
lol. Poor Sam.

Just need to be a stickler for a moment but the song is "Dixieland" - another name for the southern states that seceded from the Union.

The first line is:

"Oh, I wish I were in the land of cotton" (cotton was one of the major agricultural products of the ante-bellum era when the song was written).

The strange thing is that even though what Sam sings is not grammatically correct, Al's right in that proper grammar is I wish I was in the land of cotton, it's the correct lyric for the song.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Oh yes and Al made all these references to Breasts, and then Dr. Ruth tells him to say it and he finally does
Dr. Ruth: there you see, it wasnt so hard.
Al: yes it was!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the breast part. Very funny indeed. I swear sometimes my mind is as swiss cheased as Sam's.

jmoniz said:
Just need to be a stickler for a moment but the song is "Dixieland" - another name for the southern states that seceded from the Union.

The first line is:

"Oh, I wish I were in the land of cotton" (cotton was one of the major agricultural products of the ante-bellum era when the song was written).

The strange thing is that even though what Sam sings is not grammatically correct, Al's right in that proper grammar is I wish I was in the land of cotton, it's the correct lyric for the song.

Yeah but i think Sam was at the chorus when Al began to critize him. I have only seen that episode a couple of times though. I just know the scene makes me laugh every time. Poor Sam.

The chorus of it is:

Then I wish I were in Dixie
Hooray, hooray
In Dixieland I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie
Away, away, away down south in Dixie

Now as to why it has improper grammar - you've got me (although it is frequently switched around to the proper "was" instead of "were"). Maybe "were" just sounds better than "was" when it's sung.

Yeah cuz my best friend did point that out, that Sam was correct grammatically, but Al was right for the lyrics, i didn't get it at first because i have never heard the song before, but now i do because you just explained it.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Yeah cuz my best friend did point that out, that Sam was correct grammatically, but Al was right for the lyrics, i didn't get it at first because i have never heard the song before, but now i do because you just explained it.

Actually, Al's the one who's correct grammatically. Was is the correct past tense of the verb "to be" for first person and third person singular. Were is the correct past tense of the verb "to be" in second person singular and plural as well as first and third person plural. So correctly it's

I was
You were
He, she, it was
We were
You were
They were

Sam's only right in so far as the lyrics go.

I'm actually kind of surprised that you'd never heard "Dixieland" before this. It's a song I learned as a child (I'm from New England not the southern states) and is a more well known American song on a par with "Home on the Range".

What's interesting given that Sam is singing Dixie in "Memphis Melody", is that Elvis later had a very well-known rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic. ;) :lol

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Well for one thing i am younger than you, or i am pretty sure i am. And another thing is, i am from Cali, so is it even popular here?
I'd say neither region nor age would really have anything to do with familiarity with it - it's a fairly well-know historic song. It was written before the Civil War and i can assure you that though I may be older than you I was not born at that time. As far as popularity by region, I'm from Massachusetts - certainly not the south and considering its age it's not really going to be "popular" anywhere, although it is closely associated with the south. That aside, it's also considered a well-known historic American song.

What's interesting given that Sam is singing Dixie in "Memphis Melody", is that Elvis later had a very well-known rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic.
That is interesting considering ones close association with the Confederacy and the other's close association with the Union.

jmoniz said:
Just about anyone could have recorded it. At 147 years old it's passed into public domain and is just a common song in the lexicon of American music.

Well I'm a Brit, and I've heard of it.
Guess that means I watch far too much American tv!!! :lol

Well I'm a Brit, and I've heard of it.
Guess that means I watch far too much American tv!!!

Nah, you're just well-rounded. I'm a Yank and I'm familiar with "Rule Britannia" and "God Save the Queen". I don't watch any British TV - or at least I don't think I do. These days I watch precious little TV.

:roflmao: Funny moments, everybody!

I remember that when I was watching the episodes I was laughing almost every time, beause there was always something fun, mostly Al. :p

EDIT: I just watched a small video from yourtube.com. It's from episode "Double Identity", and Sam is singing "Volare" there. I was in tears when I watched that. It was so funny!

Last edited:
Yes, Volare was the very first Ql moment i ever laughed at, and at the time i was so confused by what was going on, that i had no idea what i was laughing at, lol.

I think my first laugh from the show was in "the right hand of god" when Al is sleep talking ...
Al: Denise?... Denise get in the closet!! get - Oh no there's no other girl here Tina. I swear! Oh no Tina... Tina... [al turns round and sees sam] Oh.. hi kid
Sam: You know people in monogomous relationships dont wake up with guilty conciences
Al: No, they dont have any fun either

haha yeah i love that too lol!

I also loved in Stand up at the beginning
Mac: and what did the cop say?
Sam: ah oh boy?

and Kristen and I both love the scene where They are offered a job in vegas and the owner of the place they are at tries to get them back and everyone is saying:
"but you fired us!"

and the end is histerical where Sam tries to Pie Al and it goes right though his face. Sam looks so frusterated, he should have said
"When i get home, i owe you a pie!"

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I can't help it. Regarding "I wish I were/was in the land of cotton"
Actually, no. "I wish I were" is correct because it is in the subjunctive mood. The subjunctive is used when what you are saying is not actually the case, usually when you are saying "I wish" or "if". For example, "If I were a rich man," from Fiddler on the Roof is grammatically correct because the person saying it is not in fact a rich man. "I wish I were in Dixie" means that you are not, in fact, in Dixie and requires the subjunctive mood.

The lyrics may be "I wish I was," but song lyrics aren't always grammatically correct.

Again. I apologize. I am still haunted by my amazing, effective, adamant, classically trained, demanding Jesuit English teacher.

^ see thats what i thought. thanx Dana

regarding more funny moments though, i think i have not mentioned this one yet. In It's a Wonderful Leap (most of this episode is funny, but i am picking out one line in particualar)

Al: oh yeah i bet they have a lot of sweets in heaven
Angela: you never gonna get there, so you never gonna know!
Al: what! why not!?
Angela: there's a dress code.

lol.