convention virgin

ophellia

Project QL Intern
Jan 4, 2007
Whitby, Canada
ok, so i've NEVER been to a convention before. I love the show and would be interested in going, but i don't know how to go about it.
How much are tickets? What about hotels?
Can someone give me a quick lo down as i've never been to any kind of convention. I'm also a bit nervous about going on my own. Will there be people there I can chill with?

Hi to both of you!

We hope to be able to announce the ticket prices within the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned. We're trying to juggle prices so as to make sure we can provide a GREAT con experience for everybody involved. We also should be able to announce the name of our hotel at the same time. (It's in the L.A. area.)

Ophellia, there definitely will be a lot of people you can hang out and chill with. You can make friends beforehand using the "Meet & Greet" section of this forum, or just introduce yourself at the con. We'll try to arrange a Meet & Greet type event early in the weekend so that people can find each other and get acquainted.

There are some fans who prefer to keep to themselves (or hang out with the family members or friends they're attending the con with), but by and large, you'll find that the fans are very friendly and willing to "adopt" a newbie.

Right now things are somewhat quiet here on the forum, but I think that will pick up as time goes on. You can chat with everybody by simply posting your thoughts and questions, and responding to other people's posts. Are you a Scott fan? Dean fan? Do you like reading or writing fanfiction? What other shows/celebs do you like? Just offer a few of your own likes and dislikes, and I'm sure people will chime in.

Looking forward to seeing both of you at the con!

Right now things are somewhat quiet here on the forum, but I think that will pick up as time goes on. You can chat with everybody by simply posting your thoughts and questions, and responding to other people's posts. Are you a Scott fan? Dean fan? Do you like reading or writing fanfiction? What other shows/celebs do you like? Just offer a few of your own likes and dislikes, and I'm sure people will chime in.

I am a slight fan of sci-fi. My kid brother was really into it growing up and I ended up watching the shows he watched (some of which were weird). I like Red Dwarf and any kid of British comedy. I'm a huge Scott fan, but Dean's no slouch either :) My favorite fantasy author is Terry Pratchett. Other than him, i don't really read much sci-fi (i read just about anything i can get my hands on). I'm a tv junkie though :D
I will continue to lurk around here to find more folks to chat with though. Just very happy I found this place.

Ooooooh, Scott! Oooooh, Red Dwarf! And, oooooooh, Terry Pratchett! I got the Wintersmith for Christmas, excellent book, and you have to try and see the TV movie that was made of The Hogfather, it was great!

Cons are great fun, and Carol is right; there will be plenty of people around to keep you company. Leapers are some of the friendliest people you can meet.

ophellia said:
ok, so i've NEVER been to a convention before. I love the show and would be interested in going, but i don't know how to go about it.
How much are tickets? What about hotels?
Can someone give me a quick lo down as i've never been to any kind of convention. I'm also a bit nervous about going on my own. Will there be people there I can chill with?

I have never been to a convention eaither, yet I am trying to go as well, and bring my best friend with me. I hope the two of us can come without parental company, it will be loads of fun.

Speaking of which, as hard as I know it is, is there any word or attempt to persuade Scott and Dean to appear for the meet and greet?

Not sure what you mean by "meet and greet"...

But we've contacted both Scott's and Dean's "people" and made them aware of the con, with a request that Scott and Dean join us. As with all of our guests, it's a matter of work (and personal) schedules permitting their appearance. We'd like them to do the customary Q&A for everyone. Anything beyond that is entirely up to them, and what their schedules would permit.

CarolD said:
We'd like them to do the customary Q&A for everyone. Anything beyond that is entirely up to them, and what their schedules would permit.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I take it you don't expect that they will sign autographs or pose for photos? They haven't done so at past conventions?

Snish, that's not a stupid question at all. We're hoping that some, or all, of our guest stars will pose for photos and sign autographs, but it's a little early for us to confirm who will be doing this.

As for Scott, Dean, Don and Deborah, we don't know if they will be signing autographs should they attend. Deborah signed autographs for people at Orlando Leap. You can be certain that we will ask them if they would be happy to sign autographs and pose for photos.

At the cons in 1992-1996, none of the "Big Four" (Don, Deborah, Scott, Dean) signed autographs or posed for photos, possibly because there were so many fans in attendance. The other guests all signed autographs, although there were no organized photo shoots.

But with "photos with the stars" and autograph sessions being the common thing at cons these days, as Emma says, we definitely plan to at least suggest the possibility to all our guests and see if their schedules (and personal preferences) will allow for it. Don't forget, we're fans too, and we'll do our best to set up a full weekend with as many extras as we can jam in there! :)

CarolD said:
Not sure what you mean by "meet and greet"...

But we've contacted both Scott's and Dean's "people" and made them aware of the con, with a request that Scott and Dean join us. As with all of our guests, it's a matter of work (and personal) schedules permitting their appearance. We'd like them to do the customary Q&A for everyone. Anything beyond that is entirely up to them, and what their schedules would permit.

cool, I hope they can come :)