You guys heard this about "Mirror Image"?

ChickenStu

Project QL Intern
Nov 8, 2005
I've read quite a few times that "Mirror Image" was never intended to be the very final episode of the series. It was just supposed to be a season finale, and not a series finale.
Apparently the legend about "Sam Beckett Never Returned Home" was added on hastily at the end, when NBC informed the makers of the show that it was to be cancelled.
The actual point of the episode was to set up Season 6 which was apparently going to go in a "radical new direction".
What do you guys think of that?

I'm really glad it didn't. If the series was going to continue to be as bizarre as "Mirror Image," I'd rather the majority of the series go out on a high note (not counting "Mirror Image," of course). I personally felt cheated by the final episode and get the sense that it was a cop-out of sorts. That's not to say I hate the episode completely, but I have mixed feelings about it at best. Unlike most other members here, I actually like the fact that Sam never returned home and that Al's life was changed for the better. It did leave the possibilities open and it also showed that even a show about "putting right what once went wrong" can't always end in happy endings. Sometimes I find unhappy endings more realistic.

I'm watching the 5th season for the first time, and I've got to say the episodes are awesome! I love the Trilogy eps and the Evil Leaper eps. I'm looking forward and at the same time, not looking forward to seeing Mirror Image. It's another episode to see, yet its the last one where Sam never comes home. I'm looking forward to seeing it, but not crying at the end.

Samantha Beckett

Must be great not to have seen all of Quantum Leap. It's almost like having new episodes to watch.

Be wary of MI, it's a real kleenex episode. Particularly towards the end.

QL Nuts: A friend of mine is exactly like you. He was happy that Sam didn't get home, because with a lot of shows coming to the end, all lose ends are tied up neatly and happily. Whereas with Quantum Leap, it was neither happy or neat. Makes for a much more interesting programme. Plus it gave us the hope that one day, we would see Sam leap again.

ziggysego said:
Must be great not to have seen all of Quantum Leap. It's almost like having new episodes to watch.

Be wary of MI, it's a real kleenex episode. Particularly towards the end.

I know I'm gonna need a box when that episode airs. I was listening to some of the dialogue clips from the site and I heard the long version of the "you've done a lot of good Sam Beckett" clip, and I got a little weepy just by listening to that!! I'm an emotional person to begin with, so I know I'm going to be a blubbering fool when I watch that episode. I'm gonna get the DVDs of all of the seasons or of just the 1st one this weekend. I've been recording the eps, but once I get the dvds, I can just watch it off there. I'm so excited about getting it!

Samantha Beckett