Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
RManstooth
PQL Visitor

Default Sam's fear of heights

In "Leaping Without a Net" we are reminded of Sam's fear of heights However, in the first episode, there is no mention of his fear as he rides in the plane. Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
od0_ital
PQL Visitor

He couldn't look down and see the ground while in the plane.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
ohboy
Junior Leaper

It could just be what was on his mind. When he was doing the trapeze jumps, he was more aware of falling, since his purpose was not to fall. However, in the airplane, he was more occupied with making sure that the test was a success and not crashing (I believe that was the problem). I think that his problem was large enough to temporarily dispel his fear of heights. Then again, I have no background on that form of psychology, so this is just a guess.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RManstooth
In "Leaping Without a Net" we are reminded of Sam's fear of heights However, in the first episode, there is no mention of his fear as he rides in the plane. Thoughts?
As someone who has the rare combination of a fear of heights and claustrophobia, (albeit only mildly) you would think that flying would be my ultimate nightmare, yet I used to love it!

Put me on the top of a ladder and I'm a basket case, but there isn't the same awareness of being precariously perched when you are in a plane.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
ris768
Pulse Communications Technician

Maybe his swiss-cheese brain forgot he was afraid of heights but as the years go by and with each episode he regains some more of his memory, by the time we get to "Leaping in without a Net", Sam has remembered he was afraid of heights.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

He probably was focusing more on not crashing the plane. Besides don't you think he did look a bit frightened in the plane?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
cookiemom6067
Control Room Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper1
Put me on the top of a ladder and I'm a basket case, but there isn't the same awareness of being precariously perched when you are in a plane.
I am the exact same way, leaper1 - I think I have more of a fear of FALLING than a fear of heights. I'm cool with being in a plane, or driving in the mountains or being up in just about any relatively enclosed high spot, but ladders, and even stairs that don't have backs to them give me the willies. I'm also not nuts about things like old fashioned Ferris Wheels that are just a bench and bar.

Long story short (too late! I know!!!) maybe Sam's fear of heights is similar.