Question for video makers

gelfling1220

Project QL Intern
Nov 1, 2001
New York City
www.angelfire.com
Brian, Joy, or anyone else who might know...

I've been asked by some folks to help make an online promo video for an organization I'm with. I have a bunch of VHS cassettes and stuff, but I have no idea how to even begin making an online video - software, programs, conversion, etc. I know a bunch of people here have made some brilliant music videos and was wondering if maybe you could give me a bit of advice.

I believe someone from the organization tried making something with Windows movie maker and was unhappy with the results - they're now looking for something better. Do you have any suggestions for programs that we might use that are relatively inexpensive (or even better, free)?

Thanks very much - your help is appreciated!
~gelfling

I use a very good program called AVIEdit there's a 30 days free trial. As well as capture (for which you'll ned a TV capture card), you can edit the clips and save with numerous formats. You can even import mpeg files and convert them, make videos from pictures and wav files. and all other fun stuff.

But be warned if you like it, buy it before the 30 days is up.

I like this program a lot better than the other capture program I have (Pinnacle PCTV). It's easy to use with single frames viewing. I rate this profram 9.5 out of 10. :b

EDIT

It's not expensive to buy either, $25 with free upgrades for life

I use Pinnacle Studio Deluxe, with the 8th edition (although I'm hoping to eventually get the 9th edition soon). I really like it. I've used (or tried to use) Windows Movie Maker in the past, and it really did not work well for me. I've also used iMovie on the iMacs at school, and I still have to say Pinnacle has worked best for me.

Depending on which version of Pinnacle you want to get (either just the software, or the software and hardware together), it can cost anywhere from $99 to around $200 or more (not sure on the highest priced).

Joy