Freedom

CynthialovesQuantumLeap

Project QL Intern
Aug 12, 2008
I just watched freedom and what a powerful episode. I think that both Scott and the actor who played Joseph were so great.
I wondered if anyone knew did Scott really carry Joseph across the river
In the last scene and also did they really film it on location in the mountains

I just watched freedom and what a powerful episode. I think that both Scott and the actor who played Joseph were so great.
I wondered if anyone knew did Scott really carry Joseph across the river
In the last scene and also did they really film it on location in the mountains

Agreed this is a great episode, my favorite thing is how Joseph seems to be able to sense Sam's presence in how many handprints he has him put on the horse and the conversation about 'leaping from one skin to another'.

Scott/Sam may have had help, but I'm guessing Joseph probably was light enough for Scott to carry, and he probably didn't carry him that far. I think they filmed some of the episodes in the mountains around Santa Monica. I'll have to see if I can find some information on that episode.

Okay, I haven't been able to find anything about the Freedom episode specifically. I was curious too though so I looked in my copy of "The Making of Quantum Leap" by Hal Schuster and it does have some pretty good information about locations. The studio had a rule that they had to stay within 30 miles of the set to do filming. The only time they went further than that was for the Vietnam episode. They filmed that in the city of Norco which is about 50 miles from L.A. in Riverside County.

The Freedom episode was supposed to be set in Las Vegas, but there are lots of areas in L.A. that look similar to Vegas, especially around Hollywood/Santa Monica, and Hollywood and Santa Monica both have hills/mountains and so that's likely where they filmed it.

Haha, I don't live that far from those cities, if I'd been able to find out where they were filming when the show was on the air I might have tried to go watch. :) I don't go out that way all that often. Santa Monica is about a half hour north west of me. It's nice, it ends by the beach, but the traffic and parking are ridiculous. Hollywood is a little further north, it's about 45 minutes from me and it's overrated. :roflmao:Some of the history of how the movie industry got started in the 30s and 40s is interesting but other than that it's not that big a deal. :b

Last edited:
Awesome research Michelle.
Ha I happen to be a 5-8 hour drive give or take from L.A myself, born and raised. I however was three when Quantum Leap premiered it's pilot in '89 so throughout it's duration on the air I was a young child.

I was in my late 20s/early 30s when QL was on the air; I just didn't know who to ask about watching them film or I might have. :) It would have been fun to see them working on the set.

The road that appears quite often in this episode looks a lot like the road they also used in "Another Mother"... but I wouldn't know, haha!

I loved this episode. It blew me away the first time I saw it and it's still one that gets played often when I miss QL again. Chris Ruppenthal was one of my favorite writers from the series. This one and "Roberto!" are his best screenplays, in my opinion. Of course I love The B episode, too, haha!, but that's another story. This man had quite a surprising imagination. I missed him in season 5.

Edit: I better don't mess with The B episode. There's been a lot of earthquakes in my city lately!! Hehe!