November / December 2003 - A Bold Leap Forward

H

Harr0w

As stated over on IMDB the existence of a forthcoming pilot movie for a possible new series of quantum leap doesnt sound very appealing. Quantum leap will always remain the greatest sci-fi show ever created but that is soley due to the forumla of Sam and Al and if this new pilot movie / series changes that formula as is suggested by changing the lead role to Sams daughter then it will suck. Scot bakula is the only true leaper and replacing him in the series is asking for trouble , it may still have Al granted but Al is nothing without Sam. Im just hoping if this does go ahead that they somehow manage to deter scott bakula away from enterprise to reprise the lead role of sam in a new series of quantum leap and give me a 6th season to the greatest sci-fi ever put to the screen. :helpme

Edit by the Bartender: Title changed for the move to November's topic of the month. The message was left intact. Original title was "A Bold Leap Forward will ruin Quantum Leap."

Re: QL : A Bold Leap Forward will ruin Quantum Leap

That's a shame you feel that way! Personally, I would like to see where a fresh Quantum Leap would go. When QL first aired in '89, I didn't know Scott Bakula or Dean Stockwell, but I liked the premise and the show and the actors played the parts well.

Now a new Quantum is coming and I still like the premise and would give it a shot without making predictions about it beforehand.

This is a good topic, what do the rest of you think?

I had seen Dean Stockwell before, but he was just a name. In fact, when I saw the pilot episode, it didn't grab me at first. It was only after seeing another episode through the eyes of a buddy "The Leap Back", that I started to watch them with any seriousness... after that, I became hooked.

But that was in the nineties. Time stands still for no man, woman, or planet. Things change, they evolve. We're still not listening to the same music from the eighties (sad though that is! LOL!)... nowadays we've got both sucessess in the music field, and dismal failures as well. We've made terrific technological leaps of progress (pardon the pun), yet still remained rooted amidst our troubled society. Some things have progressed... others have taken serious setbacks.

And through it all, we age, and mature (well, some of us don't... I think I'm getting more immature as I get older! LO!L)... and as such, our tastes in entertainment don't stay the same.

I for one will be very open minded. It took a long time for "Star Trek:Then Next Generation" to infiltrate me. I was literally dragged in, kicking and screaming, yelling "Sacrilidge" every time I saw a bald headed captain, a "number one" (ironically, I had forgotten about Majel Berret - the original number one), an android ("there's their version of Spock!"), and enough social wetness to make me hurl!! Yet, slowly, I got trapped, and got hooked!

I am feeling similarily betrayed by the new "Battlestar Galactica" tv movie, but again, I'll be open minded. Who knows? It might be a superb hit. It also might be a monumental flop. I'm enough of a fan of Eddie Olmos to sit down and watch it, and judge AFTERWARDS if it was crap or not.

I sincerely hope that ALL fans of Don Bellisario and his child "Quantum Leap" will be open minded enough to see how it's grown up and had it's own offspring!

Matt

If and when it airs... I'll give it about 4 shows. That's a month worth of viewing. If it's not worthy after four shows to capture MY attention... especially when it's Quantum Leap oriented... even with Al... and no Sam... then... sadly, I'll have to pass on it.

As Matt said...

Quantum Leap caught you, hook, line and sinker. I mean, come on... it was late in the season, but anyone just clicking in on "Dr. Ruth" and hearing Al say, "Ta-tas? Tweeters? Teeters? Bazongas? Mangos? Melons?..." the whole line of it until he finally says "Breasts"... then what line *IS* going to get you? :lol

Or Al saying: "With a body like that... and all I'm having are these school boy thoughts... it's NOT FAIR!"

Or Sam saying: "Oh boy" in any number of ways...

Or Sam saying: "It's not fair, Al. It's just not fair. Whoever you are... where ever you are... I quit! I quit!"

OR putting the situation in for both of them were you learned more about their relationship as friends... (somewhat along the lines of) "I was drunk and beating on a coffee machine with a hammer... and Sam gave me a break."

It caught you...

And if this doesn't... then yah... I'll have a problem with it.

MJ

More than anything else, i would like to see a return to QL with Scott and Dean. That has been my dream for years.

But would it still be as good? Thats my worry. A series with Sammy Jo in might be cool, but I think it should be all about Sam and finding him. And Scott should be in every episode, maybe fixing things on his own (lets face it, he nearly always ignored Al's advice anyway!), with Sammy Jo constantly tracking him.

Maybe just one more series would do, with Sammy Jo bringing Sam home at the end.

Only thing is, Scott *can't* be in every episode. He's got a full slate with Enterprise. Yeah, he can very easily star in a two-hour QL TV movie, filming during his hiatus next summer, but he would never be able to devote enough time to two full series.

Joy

Yes, i know he's doing Enterprise, but this is just what i wld like, i know its very unlikely to happen. Thats why its a dream!

:bat

Quantum Leap without Sam Beckett.

A few months ago, The Rod would have taken up arms if this had been suggested. Now, He feels differently.

Quantum Leap was a great show, Sam would say "Oh Boy!" at the end of every episode and would generally save the day.

Its time to move on. If DPB were to do another QL and if Scott were to be the main star (Highly unlikely due to his Star TRek commitments) then DPB could be accused of selling out.

A new leaper would bring in fresh challenges, the fans would get to know someone new and laugh at THEIR silly nuances over and over.

While The Rod would like to see Sam every once in a while, He thinks a new QL should NOT feature Dr Beckett as the main stay.

Al has to stay though!! Only HE can match The Rod's love of the ever beautiful RodKini.......

:lol

I totally agree, Rod.

Only downside I can see to having a female Leaper is that a woman in a man's clothing is not as funny as a man in a woman's clothing.

Other than that, I think having a female Leaper will help open up new opportunities and unique situations. And who knows? Maybe they'll listen to some of our conversations and make it so that somehow, the Leaper can Leap as far back as Al's birth day... Which would add a few more decades to explore!

Joy

I don't think it's a sell out...

not really.

I don't feel the continuing adventures of any franchise is a sell out. I could watch Lethal Weapon 7 a hundred times! LOL! Cause I like the characters, watching how their families have grown, how they've taken change and the years and made them a part of the franchise.

I'll tell you a secret. I just watched Star Trek: Nemesis, and didn't think too much about it, until I turned off the dvd and there on TNN was "Star Trek: TNG", the forth season premeire episode "The Best Of Both Worlds Pt 2"... and WAS STRUCK by how young they all were!! and that was FOUR years after they started!! But the movies have allowed us to see the characters aging.

Now Scott and Dean have aged (we saw that happen a bit on the show), and since then, with their continued presence in "Enterprise" and "JAG" respectively.

Bringing Scott and Dean back 15 years later wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I just don't want to dwell on it. I don't want to be some super small aspect of a fan base that won't let go, that won't let bygones be bygones.

NOTHING would make me happier than to see George Takai (Sulu) be the captain of a starship during the time of Enterprise B. NOTHING would make me happier than to see the older characters continuing to find success with modern shows. But I know I'm in the minority.

Maybe I'm in the minority. BUT I think Giving us Leapers the conclusion to at least the series is prevelant. After that, sure a new series would be welcome. Keep Dean on as a guest star, same with Scott and the other people from the original series. It would be kewl to see Verbina Beeks and Tina Martinez-Farell. It would be nice to say goodbye formally to Gooshie.

HOPEFULLY... things will work out.

Matt

:bat

Mattman,

The Rod agrees with you in parts. During all the talk of the next Star Trek series, rumor had it that Takei had landed the role of Captain Sulu & The Adventures of The Starship Excelsior

Enterprise then came along, and The Rod has not been disapointed.

Quantum Leap however is different. Perhaps His post has been a bit harsh. If QL were to come back featuring Sam, The Rod would watch it, and undoubtedly enjoy it. What He meant was that He would actually quite enjoy and look forward to a QL WITHOUT Sam as well.

Star Trek Nemesis made The Rod feel sad, they split up the family, look how old Picard has gotten....As for Data....

By the way, there is STILL talk of a Captain Sulu oriented series......

Re: November 2003 - A Bold Leap Forward

I wouldn't mind them attempting to bring the show in with a new generation.

Not only does Sam have a daughter but I can't imagin that one of the Calavicci girls would not have followed in her father's footsteps.

As long as Al remains in a capacity of adviser or in the case of SammiJo being sent to find her father when he leaps again that she will in some episodes just miss him or in others meet up with him only to loose track of him again or even be off the track completely. Scott could be brought in for certain episodes.

Al could essentially be in charge of the project and therefore not have the time to follow after Sam and look at his age. I am sure that is going to be the one comment he is going to make.

"What I have to go after him again? I mean he is my best friend but I'm gettin too old for this!"

Then of course we get that adorable look like in the beginning of QL with Dean leaning on his hand his eyes wide only now we add Dean chomping on the cigar.

Al would be adviser to his daughter say his eldest and maybe a new link could be added where if necessary he could link up with her in case of a problem and assist SammiJo.

I mean think about it both men have only daughters. How far thinking of Bellasario and company was that.

Azrael

December 2003 - A Bold Leap Forward

Well, it was a relieft to hear from Deborah Pratt that this is not a hoax and we probably will see a telefilm for QL. However, I just thought the other day, if Scott is to appear in it, he will need to grow his hair back in. I will not accept Sam Beckett looking like Jonathan Archer. :lol

We probably won't hear anymore news for a while... but it's a great encouragement to know that things are in the works, and we'll probably be seeing this film next Fall *crosses fingers*.

... Mike. ^_^

Re: December 2003 - A Bold Leap Forward

You know, after reading all of this...

I still have the same opinion of it. Depending on how it goes... I'll give it a try.

I'm not saying that Sam HAS to be in it... but this kinda goes back to what I put in the RodetteVision. If it doesn't give closure... I'm going to have a problem with it.

*sighs*

after seeing the scifi channels's reimagining of "Battlestar Galactica"... I think we're in BIG trouble!!

I dunno. I rather liked the new BSG, of what I saw of it. 'Course, then again, I've never really seen much of the original series, so I went in pretty much a "virgin".

But, you must also remember that the BSG mini-series was meant to be a "reimagining" from the beginning, and they did not have any of the original people working on it. The Quantum Leap movie/series, however, was always meant to be a reunion/continuation... Bonnie Hammer had even said they were going to try to get as many of the original people as they could to work on it. And Don Bellisario is involved.

I'm not too worried.

Joy

I hear ya and understand...

but here's where I get miffed:

Battlestar Galactica, and Quantum Leap, are copyrighted forms. They have creative control from the beginning, and Extremely loyal fan followings, many of whom have been with them from the beginning. Now, I've never written a Battlestar Galactica fanfic or round robin, so that should show you where I sit with the comparrison of the two. I have DECIDEDLY more interest in the Quantum Leap revisitation, than I did the BSG one.

BUT I'm still enough of a fan to get irked when they went out of their way to REDO many key elements of what made BSG so special. And the thought that the same thing might happen to QL JUST BECAUSE THEY OWN THE COPYRIGHT makes me very leery!

Matt

I've posted some reviews of the new miniseries over at scifi.com... I won't go into here, mostly because what I have to say isn't very family orientated. AND this is a Q.L. site! LOL!

M

Casting

Can anyone tell me if Dean has been approached? It seems they have approached Scott.

How can you have Peanut Butter without Jelly?

Is there any word on Dr. Beeks or how about Beth?

Azrael