Quantum Leap voted 9th best Sci-Fi TV theme tune of all time!

Personally, I think both Quantum Leap AND The Twilight Zone should be higher up on the list. Of course, those are the only two shows that I've seen from the list, so perhaps I'm biased? :lol

Personally, I think both Quantum Leap AND The Twilight Zone should be higher up on the list. Of course, those are the only two shows that I've seen from the list, so perhaps I'm biased? :lol

Not at all. You're not alone in this. That's exactly why I don't think that's a solid list. I agree with "Dr. Who" (to a certain point), but come on, Buffy made it to 4? TZ made it to 7? TZ should be number 2, in my opinion, since it's recognized worldwide (this can't be said about "Red Dwarf"). "Quantum Leap" should be higher, I agree, but not above 5, or even 6, since it's only a cult classic, and really not as widely known as we'd like to think. As for Buffy... well, that's not even a sci-fi show, so I don't know why it was included (not to mention its tune wasn't even that great - well, at least in my opinion). Instead of Buffy, I would have added "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (never even saw an entire episode, but even I can recognize it and enjoy it)... All in all, not a good list. But again, just from my POV.

I was surprised from the list that "Star Trek" wasn't higher up. But no, I can agree with you what you are saying. Of course, The Twilight Zone was well ahead of its years when it came into production, and although it looks grainy and old-fashioned in appearances, I still personally think the show has more original plots than the television shows of today (in any genre), over forty years later.

Good point, Avilos. "Hulk" had lovely music.

Anyway, the poll is supposed to be about the quality of the music, not the popularity of the show, right? Some of the shows I haven't seen, so I can't judge. I would have put the new Battlestar theme near the top. It grabbed me the first time I heard it--it's beautiful and expresses the sorrow underlying that show perfectly. And it's not what you would expect for a sci-fi show. The "Buffy" theme is catchy but rather generic, so I wouldn't have ranked it as high. I do like the Dr. Who theme, and also the Hitchhiker's Guide theme, which I would have put higher than no. 10.

I was surprised from the list that "Star Trek" wasn't higher up. But no, I can agree with you what you are saying. Of course, The Twilight Zone was well ahead of its years when it came into production, and although it looks grainy and old-fashioned in appearances, I still personally think the show has more original plots than the television shows of today (in any genre), over forty years later.

Personally, I don't like the "Star Trek" tune. The one from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was definitely an improvement over the original (nostalgic trekkies won't agree with me on this one, I bet, but I don't mind; I was never into ST, to begin with). As for "The Twilight Zone", well, it's the most iconic tune ever. Everyone who watches TV (from any generation, and from any country) knows it. It's even been linked to The Boogeyman (that dark, miserable entity with sharp teeth and red glowing eyes who lives in our closets) several times, if I remember correctly... :lol

Now, I agree that the one from "Dr. Who" could be a bit superior, but, since it may be recognized worldwide, not every generation is familiar with it, even if the show ran for more than 25 years. I think this is mainly because it's very rare to see a rerun from a Dr. Who episode these days. And they don't rerun the show not because it isn't popular (hell, it is!, and I'm not saying this lightly), but because some episodes are entirely lost (and since all of them ended on cliff-hangers, it's almost impossible to follow the story without them). Did I just write "some episodes"? No, that's actually 108 out of 253 (253 being the first 6 years), according to imdb.com (not to mention the ones that no longer exist in their original format). A real shame, let me tell you. There's a "remake" now, and it's actually very good, but I think that any fan of the original show will tell you that it'll never be the same...

Snish said:
Anyway, the poll is supposed to be about the quality of the music, not the popularity of the show, right?

Yup. It was about which one would be the most iconic sci fi tune of all time. To everyone, sorry if my second response sounded a bit confusing, but yeah, I was only talking about the theme tunes. It's okay, I always welcome all sorts of discussions.

Personally, I don't like the "Star Trek" tune. The one from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was definitely an improvement over the original (nostalgic trekkies won't agree with me on this one, I bet, but I don't mind; I was never into ST, to begin with).

I can say from having been born and raised on Trek that the TNG theme has got to be one of the best. As a kid I'd always plug my ears when hearing the TOS theme. For some reason it hurt my ears.

And now I shall duck hurled objects.

Don't forget that many of the people who typically vote on a web poll are probably too young to remember many of the shows. They only know it through reruns and rentals. Somehow a theme comes to life when you're parked in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn, anxiously awaiting the start of a new episode. (Not to mention that today's pollvoter knows how to refresh the screen to vote over and over to "stuff the ballot box" for the two shows they know and like.)

My kids love the QL theme songs - one of the girls is using it for her figure skating program this year. Her snotty coach made a comment about the show "not being appropriate for kids" when it was on the air in her youth. Her loss, snicker. By today's standards, it's G/PG fare.

I didn't forget any of that, that's why I thought the list wasn't solid.