Round Robin Story A

I checked it out. Not much clear, but you know what? This story doesn't have to be 100% realistic. Yes, I say that to justify laziness in me not wanting to do a whole bunch of research, but this story is supposed to be fun. If I put up a bunch of research, that would be schoolwork! :eek

After all, I'm not being graded on this! I shouldn't be harshly judeged on this! :protest

You can tell I'm already back in new-semester mode... Later, I'll be going by and checking posts for proper grammar and clear coherency. :lol

<Puts on Kevlar Vest, tucks white flag in pocket, and holds up large bullet-proof shield, while holding a whistle around neck>

Of course not, Crow. :D By the way, in your 36th post, I couldn't help but notice...

Just a joke, about the post. Anyways, I've gone off-topic long enough.

Sam and the couple sat in silence, waiting for the receptionist to call their name. Sam was so excited by the prospect he could leap out of a pregnant woman that he could barely contain himself.

"Matina Golbeze?" the receptionist called.

Sam stood, along with the Bulyamias. Walking down a hall, they went into the only office at the end. Walking in, Sam and the couple sat down on three of the four chairs lined up in front of the large desk.

"Welcome, Mrs. Golbeze, Mr. and Mrs. Bulyamia. Today might just be your lucky day!" the man behind the desk said, looking straigt at the couple.

Mrs. Bulyamia turned to Sam. "We've been here quite a number of times. This time, though, I think we can finally have our own child. Or children, as I believe you said. We can certainly afford to care for and love two children."

:\ You are very right. We don't... I don't know how much it would matter at this point, but if you would like you can make a location and tell us. I assume it's in the United States, since almost every Quantum Leap episode is.

"Mrs. Golbez" the woman started, "I understand that you have three children already."
"Yes, that's right" Sam stated.
"Do you mind me asking, why are these babies not going to be in your care?"

Sam quickly answered. "We can't keep the twins because our financial situation just changed. It's hard to support three children, but I don't think we could provide a stable envirnoment for five."

The man behind the desk chuckled. "I dont' even think you'll be needing me besides the paperwork. Anyways," at this point, the man extends his hand to Sam, "Joe Hunter."

Sam shook Joe's hand. "Nice to meet you." The doctor then shook the hands of the couple, before reaching in a drawer in his desk and getting a stack of papers.

Hunter continued. "Mr. Bulyamia, I assume I don't have to ask for all of your neccesary paperwork. "

Mr. Bulyamia grinned. "No, I don't think that you need to. If it helps, I just got a raise at work." He handed the papers to Hunter, who turned back to Sam.

"Matina Golbeze, are you willing to give up all rights to your children. After you sign everything, you can't change your mind."

As Sam was about to answer, he looked to his side, and could see Al gesturing to him.

"Sam!" Al said. "Can I have a mintue with you?"

Sam got up. "Excuse me. Is there a bathroom here?"

Hunter didn't miss a beat. "Leave the hall and enter the door on your left."

Someone may want to confirm that. I think that law varies state-to-state on how long, if any, a person has to change their mind on this, so it may be a good thing that the location was never told.

Yep, I'll do my one now.

Sam was rather hesitant about entering a women's "bathroom" at first but then realized that it'd seem a bit odd him just standing outside a door talking to no one. They both entered and Sam hal whispered to Al, "Is it working?"
Al gave a frown and shook his head, "I don't like this... Mr. Bulyamia guy"

The only reason I asked before if I made the post too hard to follow was because it was about ten days later, and no reply. I guess it was impatience on my part.

"Why Al? He seems like a very nice person," Sam said.

"Because," Al started, "this Bulyamia guy was arrested a year later."

"What? They seems like a very nice older couple. What did he get arrested for?"

**Appears in the middle of the thread and promptly falls to the floor. Ouch. I'm going to dust myself off and help contribute to the round robin.**

Al tapped a few more buttons, "He gets arrested for fraud. His wife doesn't even know he's committing it until the cops show up at their doorstep. This scares the kids something fierce and Mrs. Bulyamia never completely gets over it. The image of her once can-do-no-wrong husband is forever shattered."
"That's horrible!" Sam exclaimed.
"The children don't do so well in life after that, petty crimes, they don't trust anyone. You need to stall the adoption process for now."
Sam nodded, "I can do that." Looking into the mirror Sam pinched his cheeks several times so it would look like he had been ill. Placing a hand over his belly he slumped his shoulders and did his best at acting sick. "I'm so sorry, I don't feel at all well. Can we continue this later, please?"

"Alright, then," Hunter said. "I don't want a sick person to sign over her children. How about we meet again in two days, on Wednesday, same time?"

"That's sounds great!" Sam replied, getting up to leave. "I'm sorry about this."

The Bulyamias sighed, but smiled. "No, no dear," Mrs. Bulyamia said. "We've waited for so long. Two more days won't make much of a difference."

At this, Sam began to walk out towards his car. When no one else was around, he looked at Al.

"So maybe I'm here to help the Bulyamias. What kind of fraud?" Sam asked.

Al looked at his handlink before answering. "Insurance fraud. Apparantly, they wanted children so badly, but didn't have the money for them, that he takes out a big fire-insurance policy on his home, and then it burns down in two days from now. Apparantly, his mother just died, and willed him the house, so they take the children, move into the house and live happily ever after..."

Sam finished the sentence. "Until he gets arrested..."

"Yeah," Al agreed quietly.

Sam frowned and folded his arms across his chest as his mind was trying to formulate a plan. "I can only act sick for so long," Sam admitted.

"Think about when you were pregnant last time," Al offered as he tried to be as encouraging as he could.

"Oh, don't remind me. I still haven't gotten over the odd cravings. Al, is there any type of government programs that could help them?"

"I'll check," Al promised.

Sam frowned. He felt that the Bulyamias were good people but made some bad choices. He didn't feel right about outright confronting them over if they had the money and could care for "his" children.

"Al, do you know what the adoption process was like when you were in the orphanage?" Sam asked. "What type of questions do they ask?"

Al shrugged as he pulled his cigar out of his mouth, "The usual, they want to know you, you fill out some forms, and they ask questions about your family and lifestyle. Adoption processes were simpler back then. ...That is unless you were like me and brought frogs to the Nuns every morning."

Sam's eyebrows went up, "You brought frogs to the Nuns?"

"All creatures great and small," Al replied. "Besides, I liked frogs. I was very interested in how they caught flies."

It was then Sam decided to change the subject, "One child is expensive enough but two... I don't want them to be seperated."

"Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"Your maternally bonding with the babies."

Sam gave his friend a look that would've peeled paint off the cars. "Maybe I could ask them how the Bulyamias could provide for the children. I'd want 'my' children to go to a good home where they'd be taken care of."

"They might lie," Al said sadly. "Sam, they want these babies so badly that they're willing to do almost anything to be able to adopt them. We'll do all that we can but, Sam..." Al's face fell, "You might have to be cruel to be kind."

Sam looked at his friend and knew he was right though he prayed there would be a way to let the Bulyamias adopt the children without Mr. Bulyamia going to prison.

Sam began to drive home, the weight of the two problems on his mind. Although he frequently dealt with multiple problems on his leaps, and some were much more complicated than this, each new problem was never easy to solve.

On one hand, Sam had to make sure that his children were not aborted, but had good, loving homes. He also had to make sure that Matina's children didn't die in an orphanage. Finally, he had to now try and help the Bulyamias. This was becoming complicated, and fast. Sam had no ideas at this point on how to solve both problems. What was he actually here to do: help his children, or the Bulyamias. Or... both?

Sam pulled into the driveway, thinking about what Al had said. Was he becoming bonded to the children? This had been a problem in past leaps. Sam would get too attached to the people close to the leapee, and that would complicate matters. Sam knew that he had to put things right, but he just didn't know how.

He got out of the car, locked the door, and began to walk up the path to the front door. First, he would have to see about how Anthony's job hunting was going, Sam resolved. He could figure things out from there.

Sam briefly paused outside the front door, his hand outstretched towards the doorknob. His mind was heavy with thoughts as he stood there for several seconds.

A low click knocked Sam out of his trance. Anthony was standing on the other side looking surprised, "Matina, you're home earlier than I thought you'd be."

"I wasn't feeling well so the adoption process has been pushed back a few days," Sam said. "How is your job hunting coming?"

"It comes," Anthony replied. "I need to return another application." He pushed past his "wife" and walked down the path.

"Now what?" Sam mused to himself. He felt Anthony was trying but with the way things were it would be difficult.

Sam looked down at his stomach, "What am I going to do with you two?" he said to his belly. "And stop messing with my hormones and cravings!"

Not knowing what else to do he decided to go inside and make himself some food. After he got rid of that one craving he had he'd be able to think better.

While eating, Sam spent his energies focusing on how to solve the two problems at hand. The children were playing outside, so he did have a few moments of peace.

"Hungry, Sam?" Al asked, grinning as he looked at Sam's plate.

"I just needed something to eat to help me concentrate. That's all," Sam rebutted. "Hey Al, where does Mr. Bulyamia work?"

Al pressed his handlink, before looking back at Sam. "Mr. Fred Bulyamia works at human resources for-oh Sam, you're gonna get a kick out of this-an insurance company."

As Al chuckled, Sam mumbled silently to himself. "Human resources..."

Al looked at Sam. "I know that look, Sam. What are you planning?"

"Since Mr. Bulyamia works in human resources there's bound to be a way to help the children or the Bulyamias," Sam rambled, his meal forgotten for the moment. "These people are there to help so I can't see why they would refuse to help two unborn children."

Al raised an eyebrow. "It might work."

"It can't hurt to try."

Al was forced to admit Sam was right.

"What's the phone number to the human resources building?"

Tapping away at a few buttons Al spoke, "555-7268."

"I'll call them up after lunch."

There quite possibly could be. However, Round Robins tend to go in ways that are not expected. Anyways, I'll post another story contribution this afternooon is no else does first. Just remember, I'm sure that we're not at the climax yet, and although I have no idea what that'll be, since this story is sure to take many twists and turns throughout, the subject might come out.

I must say, though, I love seeing other people contribute, and surprising me along the way. :)

After finishing lunch, Sam cleaned everything up, and then walked over to the telephone. Sam knew the children were outside playing still, so he would have time not to be interrupted. Sam dialed the phone number.

"Hello. Fred Bulyamia, human resources for Shield Insurance speaking. How may I help you?"

"Mr. Bulyamia?" Sam asked, making sure it was him.

"Matina Golbeze? Hello. I hope this isn't bad news," Bulyamia answered, a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"No, this has nothing to do with the adoption," Sam answered, sure he could hear a sigh of relief on the other end.

"Oh, then what is it that you need?"

"Do you have a job opening?"

There was a pause at the other end of the line.

"Mr. Bulyamia?" Sam repeated, thinking he had been cut off.

"I'm here," Mr. Bulyamia said. "Uh...I'll have to look, Mrs. Golbeze. Is this job for you?"

"Oh no, it's for my husband. He is busy looking for work and I thought that you might be able to help."

"I'll check to see what listings there are. Can I get back to you tomorow?"

"Tonight would be better if it's possible," Sam said.

"I'll take a look right away," Mr. Bulyamia said. "Good bye."

"Bye." Sam hung up the phone and looked down at his belly. He could've sworn he felt one of the babies move.

I'll post something tonight. However, Crow, you haven't done a post in a while. I hope you don't feel as though you are being crowded out. After all, I enjoy your contributions.

Sorry. I was a little too tired last night to insert a decent posting.

Next, Sam would have to tell Anthony. He wondered if he should tell him now, when there was prospect and he shouldn't be looking for other jobs, or later, when it was guaranteed. Sam decided that now would be best. Sam walked into Anthony's room, where he was still engaged in finding a job from the want ads.

"Anthony, I think I may have found you a job."

Anthony looked up, obviously interested, but skeptical at the same time. "What kind of job?"

"A job at an insurance company," Sam responded.

"How did you find a job at an insurance company, and how do you know that they'll hire me?"

"Because," Sam answered. "The one who might give you the job is the couple that is going to be the twin's adoptive parents."

Anthony placed his hand on Sam's tummy as tears began to fill his eyes.
"These two will have parents who have enough money to take care of them and we'll be able to..." Anthony sobbed.

Sam placed a comforting hand on Anthony's shoulder. He felt his heart go out for this man.

I promise we'll make everything work out before I leap, Sam thought.