216 Freedom

Freedom

• Total voters
I LOVE Native American belief and culture. I found that this episode was very well written. My favorite picture from it is after Joseph had died and he was laying on the ground. Sam and the girl (darned if I can't remember her name) were next to him, and Al was standing there in his duster jacket looking quite like the angel of death or something. It was just so powerful for me. A powerful episode in all, partly because it didn't show the stoic Indian brave, but the soft, yet firm, Native male with a special sense of humor.

Very good episode but not excellent like many of the other Chris Ruppenthal episodes. It's still one of my favorites and one that I always want to watch again. Loved Joseph and his philosophy, but sometimes he preached it in the most inadequate places, and loved his humor as well, but sometimes it was a bit over-the-top and many of the Al's reactions to his humor were also a bit exaggerating. Some of the scenes, especially towards the end of the episode when they've reached the mountans and are about to cross the state-line dragged a little bit.

Loved how most of this episode took place outside, loved the drama, and especially loved the ending, Sam's mission in itself, its non-conventional way: Instead of saving someone this time, he had to help him die in peace. Very difficult for Sam but he managed to do so. Sam's last words [to the sheriff, while he's carrying Joseph in his arms] touched my heart and actually made me roll a tear or two.

As much as the sheriff may seem one-dimensional and cliched, he wasn't. Shamefully there are real people like him. And I didn't care much for the sister. She was a neutral character. Loved the hawk, haha!

By the way, Joseph was right: Warm water is hell!

My rating: Good.

Edit: I know I said before that I thought that this one was one of Chris' best screenplays, but, as time goes by, things get to turn out differently.

The only reason I voted good instead of excellent is because I think when Sam leapt out, the leapee would have been in a worse position than he was in the original history...

Actually, I found that Sam showed a lot of skepticism and didn't accept something as true without some kind of proof.

To use two of the examples referenced above:

Sam didn't accept that Angelita could possibly be an angel until he'd seen some unexplainable events happen with regard to her. Once he lost his memory of who she was (and thus, the memory of those events), hre regained his skepticism.

Sam's quoted as saying to Al in "MIA" that there is no devil (or words to that effect). It's not until he confronted with the reality that he loses his skepticism.

Another example, in "The Curse of Ptah Hotep", when everyone around him keeps assigning blame for everything that's happened to the curse and the mummy, Sam's the one who keeps denying that. It's not until the end that he enterains the thought that mummy might be coming back to life.

Finally, in "Blood Moon", when Al keeps saying that Sam's leaped into a vampire, Sam keeps denying that as well to the point of poking fun of Al. Again, it's not until the end when he can't see his reflection that he even entertains the idea that vampire's are real and that's what he's leaped into.

Yet I find the opposite in Temptation Eyes (psychics) and It's a Wonderful Leap (angels), where Al becomes the cynic. It seems a bit inconsistent.

Okay, isz, I just went and watched the scene (sheesh, the things I do for my friends). Grandfather says the handprints signify "men killed in battle." Jimmy wouldn't qualify, as that was, at worst, involuntary manslaughter. Roger and Nicky definitely merited handprints.

And now the DVD is sitting in the player, calling to me.

What about "Dreams"? Or did that episode come later?

Actually, I found that Sam showed a lot of skepticism and didn't accept something as true without some kind of proof.

Sam didn't accept that Angelita could possibly be an angel until he'd seen some unexplainable events happen with regard to her. Once he lost his memory of who she was (and thus, the memory of those events), hre regained his skepticism.

I haven't seen that episode in a while, but I think Sam believed the angel thing pretty early on. And then there's "Temptation Eyes"

To answer your question Servo, Sam believes in forces of good and dismisses forces of evil, which is why he believes in God, angels and psychics and dismisses mummies, vampires, ghosts and Satan.

Al is the other way around, with all the hardships in his life, he believes in evil forces and is skeptical of the good...

Wonderful episode. I loved the outdoors setting, Joseph's humor (often self-deprecating), and Sam and Al's appreciation of Joseph and his wisdom. The whole "Indian" and "white man" narrative was done well, and even the characters never said anything derogatory (unlike some of the other racially fueled episodes in the show). I love Joseph's line "You shoot like a white man!"

I wasn't really sure why Susan was included in the episode, other than to add some conflict? I don't feel her addition was as powerful as the writer(s) would have liked.

As much as I liked the main character and the setting, the whole thing didn't quite mash together for me, so I rate this one as Good.

Though I did enjoy Joseph's grasshopper speech in the cave.

A decent, but not great episode this one. I do adore many things about it, but I do have a few niggles with it. First of all, I feel like the pacing is a bit off at the beginning. The whole deal with Sam just agreeing to break out of jail just seems to happen too quick. I think we needed a scene with Al before Sam went ahead with that.

I do love the character of Joseph. He's just so hilarious and yet wise at the same time. By far my favourite scene of the episode is the one in the small cave. I don't know for sure, but I think at this point Joseph knows that this isn't his grandson he's talking to. Maybe because he's edging closer towards death, I'm not sure. But I do believe he at least knows something is up.

The ending of this episode bugs me. In fact, it drags it down from a good to an average rating. Why? Because of Joseph's death. Not because I think it shouldn't have happened, but because I didn't agree with the way it was done. I think him getting shot just felt...wrong. It was a violent end for a character that didn't deserve it. Him just dying of natural causes due to the stress and intensity of the situation would have been better. I also don't like the fact that this seems like a real case of a failed leap. I'm not even sure Joseph dies in the reservation. He seemed to die before they'd finished crossing the river. I just think this part could have been done a little better.

My rating. Average. A good episode with a very poor ending.